Lt. Commander
# 1 Quick newbie question
07-05-2011, 04:27 AM
At what point does doing lower level missions stop being useful? if I have a mission that is 3 levels below my current rank, is it pointless to do? And I if do skip it do I miss out on any future missions for higher levels? The items I can buy from vendors, are they best to buy st the moment? I have like 150k energy so can afford but do items from missions help more?

Also any tips for ground based combat? I am good at space combat, keep fore and aft phasers on the ship then nuke with torps, but I am rubbish at ground based combat, I don't know if it's because of my skills and I mainly placed them in space combat not thinking there would be much ground combat, but alas I am wrong :-)

I am only a Lt. 9 by the way, but loving it since coming back a week ago. thanks for the help!!
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-05-2011, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazad View Post
At what point does doing lower level missions stop being useful? if I have a mission that is 3 levels below my current rank, is it pointless to do? And I if do skip it do I miss out on any future missions for higher levels? The items I can buy from vendors, are they best to buy st the moment? I have like 150k energy so can afford but do items from missions help more?

Also any tips for ground based combat? I am good at space combat, keep fore and aft phasers on the ship then nuke with torps, but I am rubbish at ground based combat, I don't know if it's because of my skills and I mainly placed them in space combat not thinking there would be much ground combat, but alas I am wrong :-)

I am only a Lt. 9 by the way, but loving it since coming back a week ago. thanks for the help!!
Don't skip story missions, some are gates to others, and 3 levels lower is no big deal. You need to make sure your away team is geared and skilled, learn to use way points to flank enemies when you can, and have your boffs use expose abilities and have most of them use expose weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-05-2011, 03:05 PM
The only thing that a mission -3 level to you would be the easier game play. The mission will still reward the same amount of XP. STO doesn't scale mission XP relative to your level and the mission level. Some patrol and Fleet missions you can skip if you desire. But I'll echo the sentiment of no skipping the Story Missions. These are the best parts of the game if you are into good game play and/or Star Trek lore.