Lt. Commander
# 11
02-26-2011, 11:18 PM
28.7% bonus ACC base / 10% crit chance base / 120.78% Crit damage base before individual weapon bonuses are applied. All Disruptors. I have on a few occassions encountered and died to the "100% shields hull kill" but never inflicted it myself in pvp.
Having no experience with Polarons, but having died to Husanaks DEf-R in the past, I would take his post with to heart and possibly equip some anti-polaron armor.
SO whats AP wepoans like under your "math"?
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-27-2011, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
Answering your question about polarons... I will explain for you how I think the above applies too this situation......

I use polarons on ALL my tactical toons and I will explain why.
Polaron Dual Heavies Mk Xi [CritHx2] [dmg]
Polaron is the ONLY weapon type to have these in game.

Now to give you some probability math

1 - ( ( 1 - x ) ^ y )
X = chance for a crit
Y = Number of Hits (fired in a volley)

Tactical Toon with alpha and the above weapons you with have a 12.5% crit chance (my number could be wrong its been awhile and my client isn't open)

You are going to install say 3 dual cannons.

1 - ( ( 1 - 12.5) ^ 3 )
So 33% chance that every volley one of those shots will crit. (EVERY SINGLE VOLLEY)
Doesn't the mass get a little more complicated? You equal 3 dual cannons with 3 critical hits. But as far as I know, hits and crits are applied per individual shot of those weapons. (Which makes an important difference for critical hits in the first place, since it matters if the full damage over a firing cycle is multiplied)
IIRRC; DHCs fire 2 shots per cycle/volley, so you get
3 Cannons x 2 Shots x hit chance. Minimum hit chance is 25 %. So, if you got 25 %, your Y is only 1,5, once you got a chance of 50 %, it's 3, once you have a hit chance of 100 % it's 6.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
28.7% bonus ACC base / 10% crit chance base / 120.78% Crit damage base before individual weapon bonuses are applied. All Disruptors. I have on a few occassions encountered and died to the "100% shields hull kill" but never inflicted it myself in pvp.
Having no experience with Polarons, but having died to Husanaks DEf-R in the past, I would take his post with to heart and possibly equip some anti-polaron armor.
SO whats AP wepoans like under your "math"?
One Neut armour is likely the way to go. I always try to run one of those, against some fed teams I will put in the one that gives a big bonus to phaser/disruptor.

AP are somewhat limiting I find... CritD is nice but doesn't really make a massive up in real damage. A drop of 2% crit chance over say 10 shots would be aprox 15% drop in crit chance on that volley. (as M pointed out I am simplifiying probability a bit, but it is close to RL xp) The ability to take a weapon that has Crit H x 2 is going to rack you up more dmg... especialy if you have one with a [DMG] multiplyer on it as well... base dmg of course makes for bigger critical hits. This is also why Tacticals benifit the most from crit builds... alpha and go down and tactical fleet all boost base damage making crits higher.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-27-2011, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Doesn't the mass get a little more complicated? You equal 3 dual cannons with 3 critical hits. But as far as I know, hits and crits are applied per individual shot of those weapons. (Which makes an important difference for critical hits in the first place, since it matters if the full damage over a firing cycle is multiplied)
IIRRC; DHCs fire 2 shots per cycle/volley, so you get
3 Cannons x 2 Shots x hit chance. Minimum hit chance is 25 %. So, if you got 25 %, your Y is only 1,5, once you got a chance of 50 %, it's 3, once you have a hit chance of 100 % it's 6.
I think I follow where your going. I wasn't in game at the time and honestly can't remember how many shots you get on a volley anymore... its been long since I did my first math and I stopped thinking about it much. I also didn't go crazy and make any custom formulas or anything... honestly I used a basic probability calc just to prove the basic concept.

When I say 3 cannons have a 60-70% chance to crit on X shots I mean one crit... so that in that volley there will be one crit not all 3 will... of course all 3 can crit and sometimes do. What matters is getting of as many shots as possible at as high a base damage number as possible... chances are you are going to land 2-5 crits in a quick run. The way STO works crit rate is going to go up even more if you can say target an engine or do something else to reduce defense numbers and of course if you have say an Accurate trait on your toon.

Another thing I do with my crit stradagy is this.... Firing in cycles... or removing anything else drawing power from my Dual H;

1) I Key bind my forward DBB to its own firing key... this lets me load say TSSE 3 fire it and then remove my DBB [ACC]x2 beam out of my power draw. On Some builds I will also use BOL 3... binding it letts me not fire the DBB until I want... when my power is at 125 and a shield is open... or when it has 3 seconds left on the tick and I can fire... reload... and fire again. (The BOL double fire is greatly improved on a tac... tac init will give you more opportunity to get off the double pump)

2) Key bind my 3 Dual H to their own key... this allows me to fire my big crit cannons on there own with nothing else drawing power from them... I want 12k crits not 4k

3) bind my rear turrets their own key as well.... this allows me to fire them when I am out of arc... giving me dmg but not hndering my Dual H crits. (you will also be intrested to know turrets will crit for 2-3k as well if you are firing them with full weap power... most people are firing them in the 70s due to forward weapon power drain)

4) if you get good at timming you can fire the Dual H... power returns... fire turrets... power returns... fire Dual H.... you end up with... what Gripple Chew Calls my Blap fire... a bunch of fire all at once still but litterly you can see the big dual balls with the turret lines in between. lol