Lt. Commander
# 1 RIFTS: Planes of Telara
02-26-2011, 09:10 AM
I didn't want to resurrect the beta thread but are any STO players playing Rifts, now that they've begun head-start weekend?

If so, what are your thoughts on the game so far?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-26-2011, 09:17 AM
*smacks Darren*

No thanks. Said from a early closed beta and beyond player.
Lt. Commander
# 3 Rift = AWESOME
02-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Sorry to sound like a fanboy but here it goes...

Rift has the best MMO launch Headstart I have ever been in. The only problem Rift is having long queues. And thatís all! There is no server lag and no server crashes. The servers are running PERFECT. And actually you can avoid the server queues if you just log onto a server that doesn't say full. No wait time!! They have brought down the servers for little fixes but they warn you 15mins ahead of time and the server is never down for over 30mins!

Another thing I am happy to see is that you get to use your Collector Edition items during the headstart! Something that you could not do with STO. I could not use the TOS ship until release day for STO but in Rift I was able to use my mount as soon as I logged in for headstart!

The questing, grouping, 5mans, crafting is alot like other MMO types on the market (WoW). But there are little extra things to make it Rift more enjoyable.

The lore and the quest lines are well written and very good!! During open Beta I didn't think I would want to play another fantasy MMO but I was hooked as soon as I got to the Defiant starting area. Again GREAT storyline and beautiful graphics!!

Trion Devs remind me of STO devs. They listen to the community they are with you in game and in the forums. I am very impressed with the PR side!

If you are looking to play a fantasy game that is not WoW, I would say give RIFT a shot. I think you won't be disappointed. Just make sure you choose a server that dosen't have a full population.

I could bet my years salary that this will get the best MMO opening/headstart of all time! It's been that good!
And since I dislike the C-Store, Rift doesn't have that. Don't get me wrong, I love STO but when I logged on today and see an open jacket uniform and a melee weapon in the C-Store I get a little peeved. With a small company like Trion I only have to pay $14.99 a month (or $11.99 a month before March 15th as a founder price which ANYONE can get right now aslong as itís before Match 15th) and I get ALL the patches/content for that monthly subscription!

This is not an "I quit and RIFT is better" thread, I still enjoy STO but Rift has grabbed my attention and it has me seriously thinking if I am going to continue with Star Trek Online.

Cryptic could learn alot of things from Trion IMO.

And before all the people start flaming me. Go try it out for yourself if you are into the fantasy type of MMO. If you are then I think you will enjoy Rift very much! (But it still doesnít have Space Combat which STO is awesome at!)
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-26-2011, 11:26 AM
I like it. Rifts is one of the most polished MMOs I've seen in years: just little things that you used to need third-party mods for, like inventory searching or proper raid frames and more.

The Rifts system itself annoyed me in beta but now that's it's live, I see what they're trying to do with it (i.e. on-demand raids). With a lot of people in a zone, you'll never be without content - as it increases the rifts.

The multiple souls is like having an alt. I have a DoT tank on one, healing on another.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I like it. Rifts is one of the most polished MMOs I've seen in years: just little things that you used to need third-party mods for, like inventory searching or proper raid frames and more.

The Rifts system itself annoyed me in beta but now that's it's live, I see what they're trying to do with it (i.e. on-demand raids). With a lot of people in a zone, you'll never be without content - as it increases the rifts.

The multiple souls is like having an alt. I have a DoT tank on one, healing on another.

Heh ya I didn't like all the souls at first in beta. Now I am a MM/Ranger/Bard a hunter that can heal himself!! Love it!!

I was the same with you about the Rifts, but now it's live and some of my friends are playing, it's been pretty fun!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-26-2011, 11:45 AM
PLaying on Estrael server as Aisling, Aelwen and Taijha (guard, guard, defiant).
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-26-2011, 09:09 PM
I am absolutely loving Rift. But I am also loving my STO as well.

Check out http://elysiumorder.com

We are a Defiant guild on Faeblight (long queues right now, but hey at least its not Briarcliff )

It's a really great community started by .Spartan here on the forums, and there are a few others of us who play both STO and Rift.

I'm Crucien (Rogue) and Qdaboh (Warrior) on Faeblight.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck360
I am absolutely loving Rift. But I am also loving my STO as well.

Check out http://elysiumorder.com

We are a Defiant guild on Faeblight (long queues right now, but hey at least its not Briarcliff )

It's a really great community started by .Spartan here on the forums, and there are a few others of us who play both STO and Rift.

I'm Crucien (Rogue) and Qdaboh (Warrior) on Faeblight.
I'm on Deepwood. I'm waiting for the actual launch to see if server moves are allowed.

Zero queues.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-27-2011, 01:06 AM
I also love Rift!! I hate to admit it but... im a huge fanboy for Rift now! I haven't felt this way about a games since the release of ******** in 2004 and Mass Effect 1 hehehe
(But I don't get as bad as soon fanboys do!!)

I want to share something that some of you might have missed in the other thread and what Dstahl said.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=204349&page=4
(Thread was closed btw but what Dstahl said makes you really think of how small the world really is and how small the MMO industry is!!)

Quote:
Many people don't realize how small the MMO industry is. I was talking to one of my friends at Trion yesterday in fact. I gave a presentation to another MMO studio about our development process the week prior. Yes we all learn from EACH OTHER constantly. Game development isn't a one way street where one person knows everything. That is why there are trade shows such as GDC (which is next week btw) where we learn from each other. To assume that we need to drop everything and go "learn right now" is ludicrous. You're telling us to go do something we already do more than you realize.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for RIFT. Those guys making the game (some of which are still close friends with people on our team) have worked their arse off to get that game ready for ship, just as we were working 7 days a week 60+ hour weeks for most of last year. I wish Trion and RIFT all the best and yes I will play it just like everyone else to see what it is about.
I know I said something like "Cryptic can learn something from Trion", I guess I didn't choose my words right. I think what I meant was "Things I see in Rift, I would LOVE to see in Star Trek Online!!!" So my apologies if that came off wrong!

And in my opinion I really wish Dstahl worked for Rift!! hehe
I think (again IMO) Cryptic/Atari is holding him back!! (Hope that isn't crossing the line when I say that)

* And if you have ANY Rift questions please feel free to ask them! I see alot of people here saying this and that about Rift and alot of these things are incorrect! Also I ordered the Collectorís Edition. If it's like other Collectors Editions you usually get some free 10day trail time. If anyone is interested in wanting one let me know in this thread or PM me!

For more info on Rift:
http://www.riftgame.com/en/game/faq.php - Rift FAQ
http://www.riftgame.com/en/game/index.php - About RIFT
http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/exclusives.php - Exclusive Items
&
http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/subscriptions.php - Subscription Plans (Only $10 a month if you stay as a founder!!!)
(Founderís Subscription: For a limited time, Trion Worlds is pleased to offer Founderís Subscription pricing. If you choose a subscription plan by 3/15/2011, youíll be able to pick one of the special pricing plans listed below. Youíll get to keep this special pricing as long as you retain an active subscription to RIFT.*

And just to make sure, it's okay to talk about Rift in Ten Forward right? If it's not and an admin see's this can you please delete this post, or I will when I hear if it is not ok.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-27-2011, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I'm on Deepwood. I'm waiting for the actual launch to see if server moves are allowed.

Zero queues.
Abigale mentioned that they are working to be able to have people transfer, so that's good news.

Tonight I only had a 25 minute wait. Woot!!

On a side note we had our first impromtu PvP event. A bunch of guardians decided to announce themselves at the gates of Meridian. It was fun.

Chalk one up for the Defiant.

GO GO GOOD TEAM!!