Lt. Commander
# 21
02-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathruin
First thing that happens in the mission is a game stopping puzzle.

I hate puzzles. With a passion.

Give me a Rubiks cube, I set it on fire. New York Times crossword puzzle? I use it as as birdcage liner. Face up.
Here you go bud, I think this is more your speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPkUvfL8T1I
Lt. Commander
# 22
Quote:

Give me a Rubiks cube, I set it on fire. New York Times crossword puzzle? I use it as as birdcage liner. Face up.
Heh, guess I'm lucky that I as an old P&P geek always keep a calculator in reach.
Lt. Commander
# 23
What an awesome episode. Hard to top the next week, but we thought the same thing of the last episodes

Btw: There is nothing wrong with the mini map markers. Just look around and imagine where you would rest, i found it without any map.
Lt. Commander
# 24
Quote:

The puzzles in the beginning of this episode was fairly simple. Don't got a calculator handy? Despite the fact that, you know... Windows has it built-into the software? Go to 'Run', type 'calc' and you're good to go.

I suppose you prefer the non-stop combat action of (roughly) 90% of STO content? I found it positively refreshing actually having to figure things out, sneak around, collect a certain amount of items etc. Very little combat at all, other than the arena section. Bloody amazing episode, is what it was. Reman shields, RULE!
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-26-2011, 02:41 PM
"Coliseum" was simply wonderful. I was so very pleased with the placing of the music from "Amok Time" - there really are benefits to having access to the IP license, aren't there?

The melee combat experience was wonderful, but I really quite enjoyed the sequence on the satellite. It's truly a lot of fun when these kind of objectives are treated sequentially. I know that some people were displeased with the inclusion of the mathematics problems, but I really think that these fairly simple technical puzzles that are organized around the larger process work great add a lot of functional depth to the experience.

The desert environment was excellent; I especially enjoyed the searching fighters. They even appeared to be flying in formation! As a whole, the desert escape sequence - particularly helping to heal Slamek - was in the best traditions of episodes like "Final Mission" and Star Trek generally.

I actually wasn't expecting to make a break into the Romulan-Iconian base. I had a sneaking suspicion that the "final" test, after the worms, would be to face one of the Bridge Officers that transported with off the satellite with me in the Arena. While that would have been very exciting, pairing my character with Slamek was very much in the tradition of the show.

Well done to Charles, Kurt, and the entire development team. Coliseum was a coup.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post
The puzzles in the beginning of this episode was fairly simple. Don't got a calculator handy? Despite the fact that, you know... Windows has it built-into the software? Go to 'Run', type 'calc' and you're good to go.

I suppose you prefer the non-stop combat action of (roughly) 90% of STO content? I found it positively refreshing actually having to figure things out, sneak around, collect a certain amount of items etc. Very little combat at all, other than the arena section. Bloody amazing episode, is what it was. Reman shields, RULE!
I shouldn't have to window out of a game to use a calculor.

Doesnt' that blow the immersion factor of the game? Even a bit?

Doesn't my Science Officer have a calculator function in that tricorder of hers?

Again, I thought this mission sucked.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Really good job guys!
Loved everything about the mission!!!

Also like the multi-stage arena fight with the worms there.
And the scenery and the scale of it was just to die for, and i think its safe to say that you guys delivered the largest single map in STO to date.

Also liked the Shield Array, very nice with hull modifying items.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Quote:
I shouldn't have to window out of a game to use a calculor.

Doesnt' that blow the immersion factor of the game? Even a bit?

Doesn't my Science Officer have a calculator function in that tricorder of hers?

Again, I thought this mission sucked.
I never said that you -had- to use the Windows Calculator. In some of the math puzzles, it was fairly obvious which ones are the correct answers. Other than that, you also have trial-and-error methodology.

Not played it as a Science captain yet, but it would be a cool added effect, if it's possible to run through those math puzzles using a purely scientific method instead. Either way, I think you may be in minority on this one Rathruin. The puzzles were just a small part of the overall episode. You're essentially condemning the entire episode, based on the puzzles at the start of it.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Best part was the scorpion fighters flying around.... if the map had been just slighly longer I would of wanted to hover it along in a stolen fighter ...

epic ending.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-26-2011, 02:49 PM
As someone who's watched Star Trek from birth, I can safely say...this mission was awesome. From the beginning to the epic end, I loved it.
Closed Thread