Lt. Commander
Hello. I just renewed my subscription after a few months away and, while I'm really impressed by all the new stuff, there's one thing that still bothers me and is so frustrating that I find myself avoiding it whenever possible; the Enemy Signal Contact random encounters.

It seems like there is no real logic to what ships spawn or what level they are. Actually, that's not quite it, they sometimes seem to spawn ships that match the levels of players in the area, the problem is when a Vice Admiral and a Lieutenant are in the same area this pretty much ensures a very quick death for the Lieutenant. Other times they spawn low level ships which any high level players make short work of while the lower level players in the area sit there feeling useless because they can't even get a shot in before the bad guys are exploding. I've also seen instances where a high level player will be in the area and the spawns will be appropriate for a lower level player but in such numbers that it becomes difficult or impossible to survive.

I wonder if there's a way to sort players entering ESCs into level ranges then put them into instances that are level appropriate. As it is now I avoid them and rarely take the "defend the sector" missions. Does anyone else feel the same or even see these missions as problematic? Devs, is this working as designed and I just suck at the game? I'm curious.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outcrowd1 View Post
Hello. I just renewed my subscription after a few months away and, while I'm really impressed by all the new stuff, there's one thing that still bothers me and is so frustrating that I find myself avoiding it whenever possible; the Enemy Signal Contact random encounters.

It seems like there is no real logic to what ships spawn or what level they are. Actually, that's not quite it, they sometimes seem to spawn ships that match the levels of players in the area, the problem is when a Vice Admiral and a Lieutenant are in the same area this pretty much ensures a very quick death for the Lieutenant. Other times they spawn low level ships which any high level players make short work of while the lower level players in the area sit there feeling useless because they can't even get a shot in before the bad guys are exploding. I've also seen instances where a high level player will be in the area and the spawns will be appropriate for a lower level player but in such numbers that it becomes difficult or impossible to survive.

I wonder if there's a way to sort players entering ESCs into level ranges then put them into instances that are level appropriate. As it is now I avoid them and rarely take the "defend the sector" missions. Does anyone else feel the same or even see these missions as problematic? Devs, is this working as designed and I just suck at the game? I'm curious.
Deep Space Encounters (ie the things with the Enemy Signal Encounters); are going away/being revamped as part of the Season 4 udate (currently slated for a June 2011 release); so hopefully, this will resolve the issues many players (including myself) have with the current implementation.