Lt. Commander
Now we can gift Atari Tokens to other players, this leads to a rather interesting business strategy.

An enterprising player could offer other players a sum of Energy Credits as reward for being gifted a bunch of Atari Tokens. An exchange rate is already in place, given the current Cryptic-approved market for skill point boosters. 1 Hour Skill Boosters worth 500 AT = about 1,500,000 EC on the Exchange.

Before I cash in on my many months of Exchange abuse, I just wanted to know if this was actually within the rules.

This could blow the whole RMT black market out of the water if it's sufficiently legit. Cryptic will win out on this, as the money remains in their coffers, just passed from one player to another.

If this IS legit, then why not take the next step and give these Virtual Atari Token cards an in-game presence, so they can be directly traded on the Exchange?

It worked for CCP and PLEX, so why wouldn't it work here?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Exchange prices hardly reflects the dev's decided value of an item. The prices you see on the exchange is what players feel its worth.

Anyway, I believe it is against the rules though I could be wrong. You're best bet would be to read through the legal terms, or perhaps a dev will answer.

I doubt we'll see Atari tokens in the game though. They are a good inflow of money for Cryptic and Atari which I'm sure they don't want to get rid of.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-03-2011, 07:47 AM
As long as you dont post about it on the forums, I think its fine
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Exchange prices hardly reflects the dev's decided value of an item. The prices you see on the exchange is what players feel its worth.
That's why putting the Virtual Token Cards in game will be the best thing. Let the market decide the value, rather than exploitative chumps like me!

Quote:
Anyway, I believe it is against the rules though I could be wrong. You're best bet would be to read through the legal terms, or perhaps a dev will answer.
Given that law (or at least the EULA impression of law) moves slower than progress, I'm kinda hoping a Dev will pop in to confirm or deny.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
As long as you dont post about it on the forums, I think its fine
That's the problem - marketing!

There's no difference between a legit player selling ECs for ATs in Zone Chat, and some ne'er do well spamming links to a spyware-addled website. Either way will get Report Spammed to permasilence.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-03-2011, 08:02 AM
This proposal is clearly a violation of the the 'Terms of Use' statement...
Quote:
10. Ownership/Selling of the Account or Virtual Items. Cryptic does not recognize the transfer of Accounts. You may not purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, or offer to purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, and any such attempt shall be null and void. Cryptic owns, has licensed, or otherwise has rights to all of the content that appears in the Game. You agree that you have no right or title in or to any such content, including the virtual goods or currency appearing or originating in the Game, Atari Tokens or any other attributes associated with the Account or stored on the Service ("Game Assets"). Cryptic does not recognize any Game Assets transfers executed outside of the Game or the purported sale, gift or trade in the "real world" of anything related to the Game. Accordingly, you may not sell Game Assets for "real" money or otherwise exchange items for value outside of the Game. Any such sale or exchange is a material breach of this Agreement for which Cryptic may (but is not obligated to) immediately suspend or terminate your account.
http://www.startrekonline.com/terms_of_service
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
This proposal is clearly a violation of the the 'Terms of Use' statement...

http://www.startrekonline.com/terms_of_service
Thanks for the link, but the exchange will occur entirely within the game. Or at least, the definition of 'The Game' that incorporates the Atari Token mechanism.

That's the grey area: Does the integrated C-Store and AT currency legally constitute part of 'The Game'? How would this status be affected by the recent UI change to put AT values directly into the game instead of a separate C-Store interface?

Atari Tokens have no intrinsic value, other than what Cryptic decide they are worth in exchange for other items of no intrinsic value. They cannot be cashed out once assigned to a game account.

Dev Plz?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terms_Of_Service
Accordingly, you may not sell Game Assets for "real" money or otherwise exchange items for value outside of the Game.
The Atari tokens are obviously not "real" money. Whether they have value outside the game is debatable. Do they have a PRICE outside the game? Yes. But can they be USED outside the game? No.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
The Atari tokens are obviously not "real" money. Whether they have value outside the game is debatable. Do they have a PRICE outside the game? Yes. But can they be USED outside the game? No.
they can be used with other Atari games
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-03-2011, 10:14 AM
The trade needs to be ingame.

When u trade EC for AT the trade is partly out of the game because u need to gift the AT outside the game in account management.

There for it is still prohibited under the current EULA.

But it is weird, the EULA also prohibits u to gift AT outside the game but now u can gift it so legally you CAN do this. The EULA needs to be updated due to the fact u are allowed to gift AT now.

So basicly u are allowed to gift EC ingame and gift AT outside the game. It is legal.