Lt. Commander
# 1 Projectile visuals...
02-25-2011, 01:36 PM
While others have raised the topic of the appearance of beams...

I think all of the projectiles need to move faster. None of the ones that spawn an entity, mind you.

However, I think Photons kind of lazily drift out there (easiest to see this at high ranks, when you tend to move faster). Quantums could be a little faster, but don't need to be too much.

Cannons, in PARTICULAR, need to have their art move faster. This would greatly help diminish the appearance that they "curve" when they get near a target. This curving projectile thing looks REALLY ugly.

Since these weapons all do not require the art to hit in order for their effect to occur (what we see on the client side is purely a graphical representation, the hitting is done on the server side, no entities actually are created, this is why you can not out run torpedoes unless they are ones that create target-able entities) then it would not affect balance one bit.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Additional:

All shield hit ripples from projectiles do not travel with your shields. They stay in space, rippling on nothing, until the FX is done playing. This is a bug from way back in beta, and looks rather odd.

Frankly...the ripple FX itself could use a bit of cleanup. It should look more like a visual distortion rather than a glowing ring. Dunno how that would load the client engine down, however.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-26-2011, 02:20 AM
Since you ve come up with this issue ,i would like to grap the opportunity to complain about the terrible appearance or may i say NO appearance of Single Cannon Fire Bolts especialy when fired with Cannon Rapid Fire
You may have 4 fore Single cannons all firing against a target with CRF only to hardly see...a single turret like firing line.In a pvp match or among multiple enemies you practicaly CANNOT SEE your ship firing at all !!
Single Cannons fired with Scatter Volley is somewhat more visible due to the cone area but still looks rather silly and absurd.
I believe there are many players utilizing single cannons out there in all type of ships ,Federation or Klingon.
Please take a look into this matter,which is not only an aesthetical but (-considering the invisibility of singles with CRF-) also a practical matter
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheras View Post
Since you ve come up with this issue ,i would like to grap the opportunity to complain about the terrible appearance or may i say NO appearance of Single Cannon Fire Bolts especialy when fired with Cannon Rapid Fire
You may have 4 fore Single cannons all firing against a target with CRF only to hardly see...a single turret like firing line.In a pvp match or among multiple enemies you practicaly CANNOT SEE your ship firing at all !!
Single Cannons fired with Scatter Volley is somewhat more visible due to the cone area but still looks rather silly and absurd.
I believe there are many players utilizing single cannons out there in all type of ships ,Federation or Klingon.
Please take a look into this matter,which is not only an aesthetical but (-considering the invisibility of singles with CRF-) also a practical matter
Agreed, and the same applies for turrets. There need to be at least two or three nodes present, even if they are invisible (Star Trek seems to do this all the time) for the origin points for single cannons in each forward and aft dorsal and ventral arcs.

It looks like you are sending a single hose of shots rather than the mass "pew pew" that it should be.

BTW, I noticed that scatter volley will also activate multiple fire nodes for turrets, instead of a single node, which improves visual quality dramatically.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-03-2011, 02:38 AM
Weapon firing points and weapon effects in general need some love. Hopefully we will see more effort in all of those areas if we keep asking.

I would like to see the charge effect on phaser arrays myself, proper cannon hardpoints and not nipple cannons, better sound effects for other type weapons (phasers great but all others sound like drills) and last but not least a better orientation of weapon fire (like unused weapon hard poibnts and the fact that for an enemy right in front of me my forward beams never fire from the exact centre).

Needless to say though I can hardly see any of this being at the top of their list.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-03-2011, 06:02 AM
i am in agreement on all points. it would be a nice enhancement.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Hmm
03-03-2011, 07:08 AM
A COMPROMISE

While the fx of photon torpedoes should get better i have a neat way of making them look better over time.

when you reach a certain rank or mark of photon torpedoes the fx should go from old tng to nemisis style.

the higher ranks should look better as they will do more damage or suppose to.

thats my two cents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv-Y_PKuXqo
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFP-Magnis View Post
A COMPROMISE

While the fx of photon torpedoes should get better i have a neat way of making them look better over time.

when you reach a certain rank or mark of photon torpedoes the fx should go from old tng to nemisis style.

the higher ranks should look better as they will do more damage or suppose to.

thats my two cents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv-Y_PKuXqo
That's an interesting idea. This could be applied to some degree for all the weapons in STO.