Lt. Commander
I've been meaning to get back into this game, but I'd never earned enough money to maintain a subscription. Is the game worth it, now?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-27-2011, 05:25 AM
More than ever.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-27-2011, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurama0900 View Post
I've been meaning to get back into this game, but I'd never earned enough money to maintain a subscription. Is the game worth it, now?
Money is tight, more so now than ever, so always put yourself (and your family, depending on your circumstances) above a game. But i have to say, these last few months of STO have been some of the best MMO gaming months of my life (coming off five and a half years of WoW), and the new weekly episodes...just wow.

If you can afford to come back, then by all means do, because the folks at Cryptic are doing such a wonderful job. Yes they still have so much to do, but everything they have done so far, in such a short period of time tells me we are in for one hell of a year and beyond. The game has become so good that just prior to Christmas i brought a Life Time Subscription, and even though money is tight (we are all suffering it seems ), i don't ever have to concern myself with not being without this game.

Is the game worth it now? Absolutely. And if you can come back, even just for a month to see the changes and get involved in this new weekly series (last episode Saturday coming), you will not be disappointed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Exactly what's changed since last Summer? I stopped playing when I first reached Commander, so I'll be a little bit behind the times.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-27-2011, 06:05 AM
I suppose it really depends on when you were last in the game, and what your subscription intentions are.
There's (almost) 3 featured series up now, so if you weren't here for any of them so far, or left after the first, I'd say it's worth a month's sign up.
If money is tight, that's probably not bad; just play for the month then unsubscribe for 6 months and try again. If you're not too bothered by the special series rewards then that at least gives you things to do during your sub time.
As to other things that have changed: a few new crafting bits if that's your thing, and some graphical updates, but the overall game plays much like it did before.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Quote:
My opinion...no. Not yet.

Give it one more year and it should be launch quality. They are making progress, but its slow. Still, at least its progress.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptNebuchadnezzar
My opinion...no. Not yet.

Give it one more year and it should be launch quality. They are making progress, but its slow. Still, at least its progress.
Okay, now that's nonsense. Unless you're an absolutely hardcore Klingon fan, who wouldn't be caught dead on anything that doesn't look like a floating gun, you can have a lot of fun NOW. Sure the game is still getting better but it's already great, I hope at the end of the year the same is true for the Klingons.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-27-2011, 06:57 AM
games better than ever and improving all of the time.

at commander level you're going to have a significant amount of things to do to catch up.

still it comes back to whether or not you can afford it doesn't it, so pay for a month and get a firsthand experience and make up your own mind.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
Okay, now that's nonsense. Unless you're an absolutely hardcore Klingon fan, who wouldn't be caught dead on anything that doesn't look like a floating gun, you can have a lot of fun NOW. Sure the game is still getting better but it's already great, I hope at the end of the year the same is true for the Klingons.
I don't think that is nonsense.No one is saying you can't have fun in the game, but there is a severe lack of sustained fun, and ironically, 1 more year of developement time would take them up to the industry standard for MMOs: 4 years; something they perhaps should have dedicated in the first place.

As it is, barely 1 year into the game's life and the buzz word of the moment is revamp. That's a word that a game this young shouldn't be bandying around at all if it was ready for general consumption.

Something revamped/ remastered/ rehashed is not new. It's altered same old content. It might look different or have a few extra additions that weren't available at the release, but we've still done it before (stranded in space, I'm looking at you).

Foundry will be the saviour of STO though. Now you too can be a developer on the game, creating new missions and explorable areas; all the while paying for the privilege to take some of the stress off Cryptic.

No, I think if anything, another year is conservative, especially if they just keep reworking the same stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Quote:

I did alittle beta, I pre-ordered, I grabbed the life time subscription when it was first offered, I logged in during head start, I played for less than a month, got a refund on my subscription and promptly left.

I had 2 reason to leave.

1, the game.

2, the community.

1, They changed back to an old build, we started having bad connection and rubberbanding and there just wasnt enough content.

Then

2, You come to the forums to report issues, have a rant, let off alittle steam or just to get a quick response to a ticket issue and you just get shut down by forum regs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I re-subbed in december 2010 after crpytic and atari had sent me emails asking for me to come back and take another look at the game.

I was originally interested in this game because it was the 'Star Trek' theme and an mmo.

The game has improved alot from first release, unfortunately the community hasnt, sorry, you guys know who you are.

It's just about impossible to get drop in groups for group only missions, its virtually impossible to get a decent balanced pvp match going (seems always to be 5 in 1 team and 2 or 3 on the other, or it just doesnt start/times out due to lack of ppl pvping.

The politics is still running a mock in the forums and in game, people openly join fleets in order to rob them, not just of items but of the fleet members too, Ive seen people bragging about doing this in game. (not all my alts are in the same fleets).

I'm not sure why this is all happening but its a very sinsiter side of STO.

I'm sorry if i offend a forum moderator by saying this next bit, but it has to be said...

Even the forums are moderatored very selectively, if you just look down the first 4 or 5 pages of the 'star trek online discussion' category you'll see devs are only really replying to certain members on certain subjects. AND It's always the same few individuals in the forums that are hijacking threads so others voices cant be heard.

It's all abit of a joke im my honest opinion and i'm not trying to be personal, Star Trek to me always had a certain 'moral' behind it, I cant expect everyone to live by the same morals or ideology, but it would be nice if they did.

I guess some are here for the glory of having the elite items, some are forum hungry for fame, some just like the space theme and dont care if its star trek or not.

I'm here because its Star Trek, but the impossibly difficult raids that are just making me log in waste a few hours trying to do them, failing then logging out annoyed having accomplished nothing, these aren't giving me the motivation to stay, I've even cancelled my monthly subs now (think I have till mid march).

I'm sure Cryptic understands that they need to cater for the majority, not just the few lifers on the forums that can shut down others threads because they dont share the same opinions of the game.

But from looking at the official replies in the official forums, I think Cryptic just want to keep the happy lifers happy, so they have atleast someone to sing about how great every little change is in the forums.