Lt. Commander
# 1 Better bridge MSD idea...
02-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Bridge MSDs, as they are currently implemented, have always bothered me. Not only do they reflect only one model, which is guaranteed to be wrong a large percentage of the time, but they don't reflect customized ship exteriors.

Easy idea to fix: use the "paperdoll" tech that is used to draw a view of your ship on the Status screen.

Throw in a side view, leave out the textures, and you've got an MSD. Voila!

Please?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Nobody wants the correct ship displayed in their master systems display on the bridge? I understand it's not a blockbuster, but it seems like it'd be fairly simple to implement, since it would leverage an existing tech that's in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Honestly, I'd just like something besides stars. How about a background of the system we're in if we goto the bridge in a system instead of sector space.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-26-2011, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X01103 View Post
Honestly, I'd just like something besides stars. How about a background of the system we're in if we goto the bridge in a system instead of sector space.
Well, I'm not talking about the viewscreen. That'd be nice, but I'm talking about the little diagram of a ship that's supposed to be the equivalent of the giant Enterprise diagram displayed in Engineering, as in TNG. Or on the bridge in some of the TOS movies.

With many of the bridges, a specific model is specified, and most of the time, that's not the type of ship you have, but it shows it anyway. I'd rather like to see my ship, the way I've customized it, in there.

If you hit U and go to the status page for your ship, it already shows a "top" view...why not leverage this tech and show a wireframe view of the same thing on your bridge MSD?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-26-2011, 06:30 AM
It would be a very nice feature.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-26-2011, 08:48 AM
There is a mod out which is very easy to use, which switches the ship model that is displayed. Doesn't effect the game at all and is strictly for aesthetic purposes. It cannot display your specific ship but it will allow you to pick the Sov. ship say on the promethius bridge, if you happen to be flying a Sov. type.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by megagamer
There is a mod out which is very easy to use, which switches the ship model that is displayed. Doesn't effect the game at all and is strictly for aesthetic purposes. It cannot display your specific ship but it will allow you to pick the Sov. ship say on the promethius bridge, if you happen to be flying a Sov. type.
Thanks for bringing that up! Yes, I'm using it now, but there are a couple problems:

1) It affects every MSD you see of that given model. That is, it changes EVERY Prometheus MSD to a Sovvy.

2) It doesn't take into account the custom combos of parts we put together to make our ships look unique. I've got a Luna on my bridge, but my ship isn't a Luna...it's a Luna/Sol/Comet and look very different from what's on the display.

I just figured this would be a fairly straightfoward thing to install, since the code is already into the game to take a fixed snapshot of the ship's exterior and put it on the screen.

Thanks for the support! Hopefully, dstahl or Stormshade will see this thread and toss it over to mhighison or somebody else (not sure who's on the UI team) to make a reality. :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-26-2011, 03:15 PM
it also erks me that when i go to my bridge, the consols display the wrong ship. I am very much in favor of making them match the ship they are on.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Agreed. Heck I'd just be happy if you could just select what kind of ship you see on the MSD screens in the same way you can put up your little ship models in your ready room.

I hate having the wrong MSDs on my bridges, and refuse to use them if they're displaying the wrong ones. Which sucks because some of the C-Store bridges that I've bought just won't be used.

Any fix to the problem would be welcome.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohrias
Any fix to the problem would be welcome.
I agree. Let's keep this on the radar until somebody on the dev staff sees it.

The tech to give us a "live" view of our very own ship is already in the game, more or less...I'd like to see that used for the bridge MSD. And maybe an engineering MSD as well?