Lt. Commander
Q: m.parsons: Can you tell us what discussions or plans there might be concerning when the Romulans become a playable faction what we can maybe expect?

A: The leads on the project discuss playable Romulans all the time. The biggest concerns that I've pointed out in previous interviews is that it would be very difficult to introduce a new Faction until we feel the Klingon Empire has an improved Faction experience. That said, we still discuss how and when we would introduce the Romulan faction. Obviously, with their homeworld destroyed, it would be interesting where they call "home". The latest Feature Episode series is starting to delve into their story and show just how fractured their people are at the moment. Perhaps the Romulan Empire will split into multiple factions where one will join the Federation and the other the Klingon Empire... That's an interesting idea.

(The above is taken from February's Ask Cryptic.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, after playing through the current Feature Episodes I've been giving this alot of thought. Already, it has been stated that when the next faction is released for us to play it would be the Romulan Faction and that further, chances were that it could be as soon as the end of the year.

So far, this is old news to everyone but I got to thinking and I looked and found what d'stahl had mentioned about how the Romulan Faction might work itself into STO. Here's what I propose......

Dstahl was definitely on to something when he mentioned the fact that the Romulan Empire is fractured so what if......??

Romulan BO's would become available to Fed players. (since Ambassador Spock had been working with a group of Romulans to encourage Reunification this becomes plausable as well as at least two missions already in existence that has Fed players aiding a Romulan colony.)

Romulan BO's would be the Very Rare purple versions as not many Romulans would join Starfleet.

Reman Bo's (Very Rare purple) would become available to Klingon players. (In this case, Remans would side with the Klingons due to mistrust of Humans...ala Shinzon plus they would associate due to both being warrior races.)

But there's more...

Klingon's would then get the ability to use the Scimitar class ship.

Fed's would get a Romulan battle cloak. (This is where the Klingons will explode and quote the Treaty of Algeron. However, I've already thought ahead....)

The Fed battle cloak would NOT.....I repeat, would NOT engage during any confrontation with Klingon or Romulan forces no matter if it was NPC or PvP. The Fed battle cloak would ONLY work against Borg, Undine, and Dominion forces. (And the Feds DO use cloaks.....see Star Trek- Insurrection.)

But wait....what about the Romulan Faction?? They're getting the short end of the stick now right?? Wrong.

The Romulan Faction would obviously be comprised of Romulan, Reman, and Hirogen personnel and ships as they are now but that's not all........

Empress Sela is desperate to rebuild the Romulan Empire to it's former glory so what would be better (and be plausable) than for her to make allies of the True Way Cardassians. This would add Cardassian and Jem'Hadar personnel and ships to the Romulan Faction roster. (Sela might even work out a deal with the Terran Federation...imagine those possiblities.)

But wait, there's still more.....

Along with this would come new melee weapons such as: Romulan Honor Blade, Reman dagger (like Shinzon had), the Jem'Hadar melee weapon (can't remember the name), and something cool for the Cardassians.

Oh, and before I forget, Romulans should come with three distinctive traits as these define the Romulans. (Passionate, Cunning, and Honorable) Yes, Romulans do have a code of honor.

I know that the inclusion of the Romulan Faction is still a long ways off but how better to make it work for everyone??

At least consider the possibilities.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Frankly it seems more likely at this point that the Remans, or at least a portion of their people, will go Federation, with the Romulans remaining independent (and keeping the Reman slaves as part of their empire).

Other than that little bit, I don't really have all that much to add at the moment, other than I'm not terribly in support of anything that divvies out Romulan ships and abilities to the other factions, regardless of how much sense it makes. It just hardly seems fair.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
Frankly it seems more likely at this point that the Remans, or at least a portion of their people, will go Federation, with the Romulans remaining independent (and keeping the Reman slaves as part of their empire).

Other than that little bit, I don't really have all that much to add at the moment, other than I'm not terribly in support of anything that divvies out Romulan ships and abilities to the other factions, regardless of how much sense it makes. It just hardly seems fair.
The Remans have little in common wiht the Federation. Just becasue they aer oppressed does not mean that they share Federation values. They are willing to use Thalaron weapons to advance their goals. This is like someone running around with and using Nuclear weapons to advance their goals and we are supposed to fel sorry for them because they are oppressed.

The Remans aren't innocent and pure as the wind driven snow. Have we forgotten that the Hobus Sueprnova was their fault? They use more than Thalaron weapons. They are using Subspace weapons. You might feel baddly for their plight and want to see them be free but they are acting out in horrific ways.

Ther is all kinsd of things wrong with the narrative in teh current weekly series of missions. This is one of them. Somehow we beame buddies with Obisek even though it never happened in the storyline. Events since episode 3 are not making sense. WE will see if we can get calrity come episode 5 but I somehow doubt it. The whole idea that Obisek is this freedom fighter and his fight for freedom demonstrates the ideals and character of the Federation is laughable. He is a border line terrorist.

Right now the Romulan emprie is in chaos . It appears to be split into three factions (maybe 4 if we include the Hirogen) and the actual Romulan faction has been VERY quiet. There ar alot of power vacuums in that region of space and the little peopel are getting stepped on. The Federatiopn has outright said that they can't really get involved in much mroe than humanitarian aid. If a section of the people of the Empire such as the Remans. Tried to defect to the Federation. There would be severe political repurcussions. There is no way the Council would be willing to take that risk when we are in an all out war with the Klingon Empire. Heck, WE are stepping lightly even in terms of humanitarian aid because the Federation doesn't want to overstep and cause a conflict on this front.

I just can't see the Remans officially joining the Federation. At most maybe a small segment might colonize in Federation space. Even then I can see that causing waves. They would be a synmbol to other Remans in still in the Empire and cause further unrest which would be highly annoying the the Romulan Government. There is just so much going on in that region of space that something that dramatic is unlikely. Especailly now that we know the Iconions is taking a hand at sowing instability in that area of space and likely in the quadrant as a whole.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-27-2011, 11:04 AM
just one thing to think about:
what if... the Iconians create a permanent foothold in Romulan space and the Iconians are then part of the *playable* Romulan faction, including Tal'Shiar, Hirogen, and Romulans that are loyal to Empress Sela.

And somewhere i bet Donatra is still arround and builds up her own Faction and Alliances while everybody thinks she is dead. (maybe an alliance with a few leftovers from the T'Kon Empire?)

...now let your minds go crazy
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Lol. T'kon empire.

Damn I miss doing first contacts now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
just one thing to think about:
what if... the Iconians create a permanent foothold in Romulan space and the Iconians are then part of the *playable* Romulan faction, including Tal'Shiar, Hirogen, and Romulans that are loyal to Empress Sela.

And somewhere i bet Donatra is still arround and builds up her own Faction and Alliances while everybody thinks she is dead. (maybe an alliance with a few leftovers from the T'Kon Empire?)

...now let your minds go crazy
Anything's possible.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-28-2011, 06:54 AM
well as its been stated they wont introduce a new faction until kdf is fleshed out i think u might be waiting a hell of a long time for them as there own faction, but as to remans going to the federation i cant really see it, i can see some of the romulans going to fed but not remans, main reason is they wont send one lot to fed an not another lot the kdf and its for sure that romulans will never goto the kdf an the kdf would shoot them on sight.

of course there is the alternative which is remans become playable on both kdf and fed but what would they then do with the ships, i cant see them giving both sides the same ship to play with so if they do that do you think there would be a big outcry because neother side got the new ships that go with the remens ?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSterling
Q: m.parsons: Can you tell us what discussions or plans there might be concerning when the Romulans become a playable faction what we can maybe expect?

A: The leads on the project discuss playable Romulans all the time. The biggest concerns that I've pointed out in previous interviews is that it would be very difficult to introduce a new Faction until we feel the Klingon Empire has an improved Faction experience. That said, we still discuss how and when we would introduce the Romulan faction. Obviously, with their homeworld destroyed, it would be interesting where they call "home". The latest Feature Episode series is starting to delve into their story and show just how fractured their people are at the moment. Perhaps the Romulan Empire will split into multiple factions where one will join the Federation and the other the Klingon Empire... That's an interesting idea.

(The above is taken from February's Ask Cryptic.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Romulan BO's would become available to Fed players. (since Ambassador Spock had been working with a group of Romulans to encourage Reunification this becomes plausable as well as at least two missions already in existence that has Fed players aiding a Romulan colony.)

Romulan BO's would be the Very Rare purple versions as not many Romulans would join Starfleet.

Reman Bo's (Very Rare purple) would become available to Klingon players. (In this case, Remans would side with the Klingons due to mistrust of Humans...ala Shinzon plus they would associate due to both being warrior races.)
I for one do not really like the idea of having a Romulan or Reman BO. We got a Breen in the first series. However, when it was mentioned that the Romulans might split into factions that might join the Federation and the Klingon Empire it got me thinking. I have done the missions with both my Fed and Klingon chars and aside from a few differences, the scenarios is almost the same. It is therefore obvious that Remans will join BOTH sides. A new BO? Maybe. However, what I would really want to see is a playable Reman race.

I like my Feds, I like my Klingons way more but what I would really LOVE is a Romulan faction. But if you give me a playable Reman race in meantime this would make the wait easier to bear.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-28-2011, 07:27 AM
I support proletariat uprisings in fictional settings.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-28-2011, 08:26 AM
To those who say the Remans have nothing in common with the Feds are ignoring the latest set of featured episodes. They're ~slightly~ mad at us for blowing up their extra-special banned weapons, but completely understand that it is our convictions that they never be used, and that we were trying to prevent an atrocity. They're slightly ticked, but understand, seeing as they're up against the wall, and absolutely do not want to use them themselves.

Your actions, in spite of their actions, have endeared them to you, showing them that the Federation is willing to listen, and to help. In all evidence, we're likely going to get a Reman Boff out of this series as thanks to us for our help.

Which puts us in an interesting quandry. What exactly is a Romulan Faction going to be centered around?

The obvious answer, lies in the game lore already established. Reeling, and incoherent, the Romulan empire now knows this: Someone killed Romulus, to use their empire as a safe haven to take over the quadrant. This they cannot abide. So, we'll end up with a cloak and dagger storyline, of how the Romulans fight from the shadows to reclaim their dying empire, to restore it to full glory from these demons of air and darkness.