Lt. Commander
# 11
02-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
1) Change bar fights like Treasure Trading Station's bar fight to melee only. The guys in the bar are jerks but not necessarily people we should kill. Bonus points if their bodies don't disappear, similar to the people defeated "on stun setting".
This doesn't make much sense. You don't think they deserve to die, but you do think we should be allowed to hack them to pieces? The only change needed is to make the bodies stay (so we know they're stunned). Making it melee only is just dumb (and my captain isn't that stupid either)
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I agree with 2 and 3...

1, not so much.

They OPEN FIRE ON US. <@_@> WITH GUNS. Do you expect a police officer to try to punch out a guy shooting at him/her? Of course not. Besides, I'm pretty sure being gutted with a large steel implement isn't going to do them any more favors than being vaporized.

----

I do have my own melee request though:

I love the two swords we got this week - but as you add more; please keep in mind that different swords require different fighting styles. Don't just re-use the animations over and over again - try to make them at least a little realistic. (It doesn't have to be perfect, but effort would be appreciated)

Also, give me my longsword, rapier and katana <o.<> DO EET.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
sword (including: Claymore, Cutlass, Gladius, Katana,Rapier, Retractable sword, Sword of Stars, Yan)
I'm all for more swords as melee weapons, but I think wielding the comet that almost destroyed the Bajoran wormhole is a bit much.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-27-2011, 11:05 AM
I agree with the spirit of this thread. The colliseum ground combat portion really seemed like it gave my science officer the shaft. A tactical officer with invested skillpoints would totally reap the rewards of his investments... but without my Medic kit's healing power, my captain sucked.

I appreciated the novelty of the colliseum, but I only started to get into the ground portion when I dropped the dampening field. For the matter, I loved the lighting on the exterior map and how it played on the scenery and my character.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra37 View Post
Why do people want to turn this game into yet an other hack and slash RPG adventure game?
Also, we don't have to have everything put into the game that was seen in Star Trek. The results would be awkward, inappropriate or downrigth stupid.
Because Star Trek was classically more of a brawler than a shooter?

Sure, some of that was due to budget but I personally see phasers, in my ideal Star Trek game, as a hard to use "I win" button when most of the fighting should be kicking, punching, swords, and grapples.

Heck, I see Soul Caliber as a better model of Trek combat than Elite Forces or most Trek games are. Trek combat is dancing around in a circle, keeping your back away from the opponent and charging/bodyslamming/headbutting them, maybe with a few well-timed elbow jabs and judo throws.

Voyager, First Contact, and trench fights in DS9 are the only places you see squads with BFGs. Most of the time, those weapons are too dangerous/attention grabbing to use or completely restricted from use by inhibitor fields.

Now, I'm willing to concede that enough Trek games have been shooters to accept that playstyle being emphasized here but I'll outright say I think fantasy RPGs are more Trek than Call of Duty is, for my money.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor12345 View Post
This doesn't make much sense. You don't think they deserve to die, but you do think we should be allowed to hack them to pieces? The only change needed is to make the bodies stay (so we know they're stunned). Making it melee only is just dumb (and my captain isn't that stupid either)
You're obviously not hacking them to pieces though, nor did people who usese bladed weapons on the shows generally hack people to pieces. Your grazing them until they're disabled.

And I think it makes very little sense for the TTS not to have a phaser inhibitor in effect, which you should probably have the Ferengi disable after the barfight or which would be inactive on the decks where B'vat's thugs are holed up.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel
I agree with 2 and 3...

1, not so much.

They OPEN FIRE ON US. <@_@> WITH GUNS. Do you expect a police officer to try to punch out a guy shooting at him/her? Of course not. Besides, I'm pretty sure being gutted with a large steel implement isn't going to do them any more favors than being vaporized.
I don't disagree. I think their guns shouldn't work either because I think a place like the Treasure Trading Station would (like any sensible hub) have a field in place to disable energy weapons... and it would feel more like a barfight without the energy weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Except that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense Leviathan99.

Have you ever tried wielding a real edged weapon? >.< I have, even if you're good (I'm not), there's only so much precision you can bring to the process, especially with a hacking weapon like the Naussican sword or the Falchion. Both of them are heavy, chopping weapons - the kind of thing designed to remove limbs from bodies*.

Even a katana, which can be used with some precision, is still going to to leave a heck of a mess in most situations unless the combatants have such a great disparity that the sword is actually superfluous to begin with.

A rapier you *might* be able to justify it with... maybe. Possibly.

Even in all of those situations however, even the greatest fighter is at the mercy of physics - if an opponent moves even slightly wrong, then a glancing blow might instead take off an arm or end up buried in their heart. Melee weapons, contrary to comic books, are messy, messy things; and it should always be remembered that more than anything they were built to kill an opponent.

If you want to fight to disable, a staff, chain (without weights), whip, net, or simply going unarmed all make more sense. Or in Trek, stunning someone with a phaser.

*edit*

In regard to them having guns:

Do remember that the Treasure Trading Station is, for all intents and purposes, Star Trek's Mos Eisley. It's a hive of scum and villainy. Besides, the Ferengi running the place is OK with the life support system being drained by the holo-deck... do you really think he's going to invest Latinum in a dampening field? >.>

*Or rather, to be good at getting past heavy armor. Falchions are a RL weapon - as seen here. Of course when you're good at getting past steel, you're going to do nasty things to flesh and bone under that steel.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Building off the tech we saw in Colosseum, howabout three things:

1) Change bar fights like Treasure Trading Station's bar fight to melee only. The guys in the bar are jerks but not necessarily people we should kill. Bonus points if their bodies don't disappear, similar to the people defeated "on stun setting". I might also suggest this belongs on stealth missions (where phaser fire would draw unwanted attention) or some places where there logically should be a phaser inhibitor in effect.

2) Give us the tool to restrict an area to melee only in The Foundry. My suggestion would be something similar to the "reduced gravity" object we can place that lowers the gravity, map-wide.

3) Look into ways that each class can CHOOSE a melee build.

Tactical is the obvious one and has some built in melee functionality through things like kits.

The question then becomes how you'd incorporate a melee build into Engineering or Science and I think the best examples I can think of are Death Knights and Rogues in ********, who have self-targeted melee weapon improvements.

An science officer might have a way to analyze and improve the structural integrity of their melee weapon through some sort of mass/density adjustment.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Field_density

Imagine a science officer rigging up a "Field Density Amplifier" that causes a melee weapon to hit harder, maybe at the cost of some speed but still a net improvement.

An engineering officer might have a means of rigging up a melee weapon to emit low levels of radiation damage. A "Delta Radiation Infuser". This would cause the weapon to continue to cause a damage over time bleed effect.

In both cases, perhaps the specific skills necessary to handle the improved weapon safely would be class specific from a logical standpoint. (Alternatively, maybe the Engineer should get the "Field Density Amplifier" and the Science should get a poisoned "Veridium Six Weapon Coating" or "Mugato Venom Weapon Coating".

Anyone else have thoughts on these points or requests of your own?
I could not agree more! Also, can I add that for bar fights maybe just a kind of open-handed brawl restriction should be used. No need to chop someone's head off with a sword when you can just punch them once.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel
Except that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense Leviathan99.

Have you ever tried wielding a real edged weapon? >.< I have, even if you're good (I'm not), there's only so much precision you can bring to the process, especially with a hacking weapon like the Naussican sword or the Falchion. Both of them are heavy, chopping weapons - the kind of thing designed to remove limbs from bodies*.
As with space combat, Trekism trumps realism for me. If there's something unrealistic from the shows, I'd want it to be equally unrealistic here.