Lt. Commander
# 11
02-27-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm in the middle with this. Yes it felt like a story from TNG (which is good) but some things annoyed me.

Like I got all the way to the cave you camp in without the 'Hide in the rocks and let the fighter pass' because I had no idea that meant hide in the tiny cluster of rocks off to the side that you couldnt hide an ant in :p There was no map icon or direction help at all with that, they just looked like random rocks on the map.

I thought the big archway was the rocks it meant

But after I walked all the way back and found them, the mission went smoothly.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-27-2011, 11:28 AM
The reason for the medical herbs is because your gear is supposed to have been confiscated when you were captured. So it wouldnt have made sense for them to allow you to heal yourself with your normal medical gear.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBranagh
There was no map icon or direction help at all with that, they just looked like random rocks on the map.
Actually, there is. There is a circle on your map, its just small.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Must be tiny then because I zoomed in when I couldnt find where to go and still nothing. I used my tricorder to find everything else.

And if your gear is confiscated, why can you use your weapons and kit as soon as you leave the arena? :p
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-27-2011, 11:34 AM
I myself had no problems technical or gameplay-wise with this fourth and latest mission of the series, infact I much enjoyed it.

The overall length of the mission, the puzzle that invoked some thought and brain matter-usage (though could be easily blown through by cycling the answers anyway for those who can't sit still for a few minutes), the new critters used in the arena, the new melee weapons gained through the mission, the ever-thematic "arena" track from TOS, the visuals on the whole, and much more helped make this feel like one of the best missions of any of the weekly series yet.

While there's always something one can improve on, I hope this trend continues in future missions and that the developers of this game continue to push new ideas for interesting aspects of what most other games would leave as "kill ten of these, bring back fifteen of these" type gameplay.

However, as it's obvious someone put a lot of time and effort in this mission, I think they deserve something more reasoned and constructive, as well as informative so they may be able to take ideas from such criticism and craft a better experience for you yourself and whoever else may feel similarly next time. Thread title alone is pretty hurtful =/
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-27-2011, 11:39 AM
I really liked the mission. ESPECIALLY the original Arena track. I was fortunate enough to be standing in the rocks that were to be hidden in so finding them wasn't a problem for me.

I thought it was a great mission overall, I do have to wonder though,,
the poison status from the worms says "ravishing poison", granted I thought it was pretty neat but kinda far from ravishing.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Indeed, it is quite long.. so it's dreadful if you're the type who skips through all the dialogue and only sees the next objective circle on the map in order to be get loot and accolades.
Unlike most MMO missions/quests it's a mission you should play for the mission itself, not for some fancy reward when it's over with
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Actually, there is. There is a circle on your map, its just small.
Not in this case, unfortunately. It is one thing that irritated me during my first run of the mission, and yes I did zoom all the way in on the map. There is no circle marker on the map for the right rocks to hide in. I have run the mission an additional 5 times since then in teams, and still no marker, so it's not something that I simply missed the first time through. Everything is marked well beyond that point, though.

I personally loved the episode. It was quite long, comparitavely speaking, but theres nothing wrong with that when it's enjoyable through and through. It felt very Trek, from beginning to end, and held some juicy tidbits of information for those looking hard enough. Also loved the fact that you more or less had to use your brain to solve the opening puzzle (although I suppose you can just do it by trial and error).

Excellent work, STO team. Keep them coming
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Quote:
The reason for the medical herbs is because your gear is supposed to have been confiscated when you were captured. So it wouldnt have made sense for them to allow you to heal yourself with your normal medical gear.
I'm pretty sure it isn't confiscated but disabled because of the dampening field which you deactivate in the room with the gate.

Story wise it might have been better to say the Dampening Field is reaching as far as to the cave where you are sleeping but not to the other side where the ship crashed.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Quote:
I'm pretty sure they didn't confiscate your gear, they just disabled it with a dampening field which you later on shutdown. So I can see his point for his Sci/Med officer because I wondered the same thing. Made sense on my Tac/Eng officers though. Unless they confiscated the meds, in which case you had to use your tools and those plants to make more. Yea, yea...that could work.
Closed Thread