Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Exploration is such a huge part of Star Trek, and the current system is obviously pretty lacking. I know they are revamping exploration in a coming update, but I have to wonder why exploration wasnt the first major system to get a revamp? Considering the fact that exploration is both repeatable and scales to your level, a really good exploration system would make a ton of difference in the game's lack of content and end game content. Why was this put off so long?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Why not, indeed.

You could also add: Why haven't ship's interiors and crew systems been a top priority as well? The duty roster system looks very, very promising, but it sure took awhile to get around to it. I've also got a bad feeling that once the crew rosters are live, any areas where they are lacking or in need of expansion will have to wait because now things like ground combat need to be addressed. Gives me flashbacks to interiors. Release an incomplete system, move on. Also, the complete lack of any function/customization/purpose for ship's interiors is very disturbing.

We can't even travel the universe from our bridge.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Because Ground Combat has been broken and horrible since the beginning and needed to be worked on first.

...oh wait, they're not getting around to that until July.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Because Ground Combat has been broken and horrible since the beginning and needed to be worked on first.

I have to agree with this without the ground combat we can get the revamped exploration.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-27-2011, 02:41 PM
It's because ground combat is the number one criticism of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forresto View Post
It's because ground combat is the number one criticism of the game.
Not in my opinion.

I never had a problem with ground combat except for the bugged difficulty slider.

My main gripe is with space combat and movement.

You can't really fly any true tactics in space combat due to the restrictions from the devs. I know they told us again and again that we will never get true 3D space combat. It just seems weird now even more since we have shuttles. We can't go straight up or down and we can't roll to take the pressure of our shield.

It bugs me to this day to corkscrew my ways to anomalies and enemy ships who are above or beneath me.

They still need to adress this issue.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-27-2011, 03:16 PM
It's really my fault. I so wanted exploration to be better than it is. Dan is mad at me and so is punishing me by leaving exploration the way it is.

Sorry for that. I humbly apologize and ask forgiveness.

Ok... just kidding. There are so many issues and Dan and the Devs suffer a common fault they want to get it right the first time (not really a fault of course) so they have been working on it but getting it right seems to be taking a while.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post

actually they're getting around to it now. It wont be ready until July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage_Wolf
Exploration is such a huge part of Star Trek, and the current system is obviously pretty lacking. I know they are revamping exploration in a coming update, but I have to wonder why exploration wasnt the first major system to get a revamp? Considering the fact that exploration is both repeatable and scales to your level, a really good exploration system would make a ton of difference in the game's lack of content and end game content. Why was this put off so long?
I agree. exploration is my number one problem with STO over all else.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Ground combat is a basic, fundamental element. No matter what you do (OK except space PVP), you will encounter it.
Not everyone "explores", but everyone does ground combat.
When I meet a bugged ground enemy/mob I simply want to quit.
When I see an "exploration" zone, I just feel underwhelmed, but I don't want to quit outright.

You can't hope to build anything good with bad fundamentals.

I'm a bit skeptical thou. Several things marketed as "awesome" in the past turned out to be pos, but I can't see the future and it can just as well turn out to be really good. We will see.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Agreed, and whats more ground combat is the very first thing you encounter in STO, even before Space Combat.