Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-27-2011, 10:54 PM
As others have said, I agree ground combat > exploration. But the question remains why was THAT even put off so long? Why wasnt that one of the first things addressed after launch instead of waiting over a year?
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-27-2011, 11:01 PM
I don't have any issues with Ground Combat (I must be the only one :p)

... I want to ..... E x p l o r e !
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Mr. Fibble desires better ground combat - leave the exploration to the naughty boys who've been naughty :p
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
As others have said, I agree ground combat > exploration. But the question remains why was THAT even put off so long? Why wasnt that one of the first things addressed after launch instead of waiting over a year?
The devs focused on content for much of the past year (52+ unique missions is no small feat).

Ultimately, the game was far shorter on content at the time of launch than it was in demand for ground combat or sector space revisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage_Wolf
Exploration is such a huge part of Star Trek, and the current system is obviously pretty lacking. I know they are revamping exploration in a coming update, but I have to wonder why exploration wasnt the first major system to get a revamp? Considering the fact that exploration is both repeatable and scales to your level, a really good exploration system would make a ton of difference in the game's lack of content and end game content. Why was this put off so long?
It all boils down to biggest bang for the buck.
  • Sector Space affects everyone (and thank goodness for the changes)
  • Ground combat still affects everyone and would regardless of exploration.
Exploration is already lackluster and, while I'd love many pie--in-the-sky threads I've read (including my own), I'd rather wait for the core interactions surrounding exploration be right first and lots of design discussions to improve and hash-out ideas for making exploration meaningful.

Ground combat (even if only a minor part) would inevitably be some part of exploration. Sector Space was an eyesore before and didn't feel large at all (it's getting better but tearing down those walls would help).

Exploration, perhaps unironically, needs a lot of "exploring" first before the devs should spend time and money on changing it. That's not to say the current model is good: it isn't. However, there's a long ways to go (and hopefully open discussion with the community) over how to proceed.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-28-2011, 12:34 AM
if you saw sector space before season 3.. it was horrible. although i think ground combat should have been first and sector space second, in order to prep for exploration to be 3rd, then pvp probly should be 4th along with klingons
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-28-2011, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Yep, that was the point of my snippy little comment.

And yes, scrambling to add content was necessary, but that's now content that will have to be retreaded with the ground combat upgrade...
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-28-2011, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
And yes, scrambling to add content was necessary, but that's now content that will have to be retreaded with the ground combat upgrade...
????

Lt. Commander
# 18
02-28-2011, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
????

If they alter ground combat through anything other than halfheartedly hacking at the PCs without changing the NPC end, they have to fiddle with the missions. The whole 'delete rather than fix' policy on difficulty-bugged ground explorations suggests that they need to actually fiddle with that manually on an individual basis.

In general, the entire remastering process is taking place because the content as it is was hacked together haphazardly with tools that were themselves hacked together haphazardly*. Substantially altering ground combat will probably punt that up to 'necessity' instead of 'enhancement', and they have a bigger backlog to go through now than before.

*Devs have repeatedly commented on what a mess the content creation tools were.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
If they alter ground combat through anything other than halfheartedly hacking at the PCs without changing the NPC end, they have to fiddle with the missions. The whole 'delete rather than fix' policy on difficulty-bugged ground explorations suggests that they need to actually fiddle with that manually on an individual basis.

In general, the entire remastering process is taking place because the content as it is was hacked together haphazardly with tools that were themselves hacked together haphazardly*. Substantially altering ground combat will probably punt that up to 'necessity' instead of 'enhancement', and they have a bigger backlog to go through now than before.

*Devs have repeatedly commented on what a mess the content creation tools were.
Part of the reason for the new featured series was the tweaks they're introducing to mobs: devidian, romulan, etc.

The remastering isn't going to cover all the missions from launch: just some. The mobs can be updated fairly easily for ones they're not remastering.

The exploration issue is different from the patrol mission issues: exploration maps were batch generated using a text line editor (hence having to go through them individually to drop a nuke).
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Quite frankly I blame all the C Store maniacs

If the "open jacket" was not so much of an issue or other such trivialities people get so obsessed about, the developers would concentrate more on essential elements of the game. Alas the amount of work required for the cosmetic items is rather limited and brings the most financial return, something that as people have pointed out is Atari's foremost philosophy in business (not that I blame them much about it).

I would have liked Star Trek to get a more "respectable" treatment but the again I can hardly remember when was the last time anyways fro all the mishaps through the years. From the stupid direction decision on the shows to the craptastic movies and awful management, Treks only real strength will always be the fun love for the Universe and thats that.

STO will never be as good as our imagination, but none the less it has the tools to give it some semblance to the original vision of Trek. Exploration of the strange new worlds is the moto with which this franchise has been one and the same and I would very much like to see STO make that its primary focus too.