Lt. Commander
I recently installed STO on an ACER Aspire One netbook (upgraded with 2GB RAM). It was running Win 7 Professional.

The game launched normally, it loaded normally, and I found myself in tactical view. I had lowered the detail to below zero, of course (even used the 'half resolution' option).

The game was, unsurprisingly, unplayable. However, it was not THAT unusable: the graphics stuttered, but a patient (and DESPERATE) person might play.

My question is: could it be possible to add some more options to downgrade graphics requirements on a future patch? It would be totally awesome to be able to play the game on a netbook!

Of course, a new generation of netbooks is about to become available, with dual-core processors and better graphics cards, but it would really warm a lot of people's hearts to run STO on an older netbook.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-28-2011, 12:32 AM
They'd need to turn it down a lot... and even then, I honestly don't know. Games far older and with far lower requirements than STO run like garbage on even decent netbooks. There is a point where you can't reasonably expect any game to accomodate a system, and a system that's specifically designed to sacrifie gaming and multimedia capabilities in favor of extreme portability is WAY past that point.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris_Botonis
Of course, a new generation of netbooks is about to become available, with dual-core processors and better graphics cards, but it would really warm a lot of people's hearts to run STO on an older netbook.
Wait - wouldn't a new generation of processors and cards be able to run the same game better, instead of requiring the devs to invest time into creating reduced options?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-28-2011, 03:04 AM
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

Try using this before installing next time :p never been wrong for me before.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-28-2011, 03:10 AM
A netbook with the Nvidia Ion chipset maybe able to play due to it having a 9400m GPU, the usual intel gma on most netbooks is completely useless for gaming.

According to this review it can play crysis at 1024x786 at low detail with 17fps http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/lapto...510/benchmarks
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-28-2011, 05:25 AM
I wouldn't even bother.
Even if you could get it loaded, you would need to use pacman graphics and at that point, what would be the point?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-28-2011, 05:30 AM
No. Netbooks have extremely weak graphic cards (that's the main problem).
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-28-2011, 05:34 AM
Maybe if this has the required horsepower when it comes out:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/r...ows-our-minds/

till something does the job at the size of a netbook we are stuck which is why im considering a xps15
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-28-2011, 05:36 AM
See, in Canada, you can get a low price netbook for 230 with tax. You can get a high priced netbook for 300. Let's say the next gen ones will be 300.
I just bought a laptop for cottage season for 350 dollars and it plays STO perfectly.
And yes, netbooks aren't known for graphics.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-28-2011, 05:46 AM
I am about to start testing a system using the AMD Fusion platform which is in many of the new netbook designs. I will let you know how STO works.