Lt. Commander
We just installed an MSI Nvidia 460 GTX

Still getting problems with reduced FPS in earth space dock.

Notice an improvement when I reduced the shadows.
Just wondering if there is a known issue for this with the card or do shadows really use the much of the GPU?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikoy
We just installed an MSI Nvidia 460 GTX

Still getting problems with reduced FPS in earth space dock.

Notice an improvement when I reduced the shadows.
Just wondering if there is a known issue for this with the card or do shadows really use the much of the GPU?
This has been a known issue for a long time. Checkout the release notes with your nvidia driver and it specifically mentions a stuttering problem with STO. I run my 460 with everything maxed out except shadows (set to low) and get 59-60 fps most of the time at 1920x1080.

Its a good card. Either STO does something non-dx compliant with their shadowing, or Nvidia is doing something shady on the driver side, but it has been in an issue for a while now.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post
This has been a known issue for a long time. Checkout the release notes with your nvidia driver and it specifically mentions a stuttering problem with STO. I run my 460 with everything maxed out except shadows (set to low) and get 59-60 fps most of the time at 1920x1080.

Its a good card. Either STO does something non-dx compliant with their shadowing, or Nvidia is doing something shady on the driver side, but it has been in an issue for a while now.
Read the release notes. And it says the game pauses on and off. Setting shadows to low does help a lot. thanks
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-28-2011, 04:19 PM
No problem. I love the card, and am usually a big nvidia fan, but I am a little disappointed that a known problem has continued to be a known problem over three iterations of the drivers.