Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21 Star Trek
02-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Star Trek will be back on TV, probably when the new movies are done with and CBS realizes the real fanbase is with the Prime-timeline.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
02-28-2011, 06:03 PM
I am pretty sure after the last movie both Paramount and CBS are very well aware of the number of people still intrested in Trek. If they are good with one thing it is numbers.

No need for any petition or anything, just keep buying the DVD's and go watch the next Movie in 2012.

My only hope is that when JJ Abrams leaves the Series, that the next guy wants to go back to the Prime Universe.


Anyway right now...

V (2009)
Fringe
Sanctuary
Outcasts
The Event
...

plenty of good SciFi-ish stuff to watch, not enough space ships but:

Galactica is comming back with "Chrome and Blood" ...first Cylon war, lots of CGI battles and a young Adama sitting in a Raptor. yum yum


PS: i thank god every day that good taste has prevailed over Stargate Universe and Caprica.
Nobody will want to ever repeat those mistakes again and it made more room for new SciFi Shows.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
02-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
is there an educated reason why you say that or was that a guess based off your gut feeling.
there are many educated reasons that there won't be a Star Trek Television show ever again, but i won't get into it because cryptic will say that I am derailing the thread, give me an infraction, and IP ban me from the internetz.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
02-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash-jackel View Post
No. Hugo Weaving.
You sir, are the most awesome being ever.

And yes, a new trek series should follow STO, from lowly beginnings as a fresh Lt. thrown into the fires of command, to the grand finale of the Iconians.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
02-28-2011, 07:43 PM
There's already a few stories out there that do that already, although it's only fanfiction.

If they do make a series though - I hope for the sake of all that is holy they have a decent writer. It's kind of sad when you can find fan-fiction that's better than the actual thing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
03-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
V (2009)
Fringe
Sanctuary
Outcasts
The Event
...
You've forgotten one
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
03-01-2011, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksterbro View Post
You've forgotten one
Well they canceled Stargate Universe.. so it's not that one.
There theoretically are more episodes coming in the spring, but it's days are numbered.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
03-01-2011, 04:40 AM
SGU was IMHO the BEST SG show ever! There were no "Clowns in Space" and there was a great story which doesn’t became boring as in BSG (BSG was nice, but just after Season 3. After that is was baloney). SGU was canceled, because there wasn’t enough women from 30-60 watching it. Oh, doll.... -.- Actually it was cancelled by the same reason as ENT. Cancelling shows even before they get interesting will never pay off! Remember, TOS was once canceled as well and Gene Roddenberry fought to bring it back. AND AFTER THAT it became the franchise we know.

As for JJ Abrams. I do not know, why everyone is whining so much. He did a great work reviving TOS with the fit actors for their roles. You do not like them, because they aren't the original cast, well, get over it, the original cast is too old for this, same as the cast of TNG, Voy and DS9. As for the whole movie deigns, well at least accept, ST 11 wasn't "Clowns on XTC in Space".

The V redux was one of the most expensive failures in Sci Fi story, and I am very glad it was cancelled.


I do not understand why the Trek Community has the most close-minded people in the whole Sci FI fan base. Even worse than the Star Wars fans. Why is it so? Why the most of them can can't accept something new. I remember at the airing of ST - Undiscovered Land, ...what a circus. "Noooo, Klings want peace. Shapeshifters, nooooo. Anything nooooooo!!! This is no ST at all!!" Bla! And the circus went over to all the new series and movies. Always the same thing.
As STO was released I prayed this won't happen... well it did happen but in a much smaller amount, thank god!

All I want to say is, please stay a little open minded, give new ideas a chance otherwise we'll never get the opportunity to get new qualitative and dramaturgic Sci Fi series.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
03-01-2011, 05:17 AM
Being somebody who loves SG-1 - I can quite catagorically say SGU blew for one simple reason.

It simply wasn't Stargate. It was SET in the Stargate universe, but it simply wasn't Stargate. It was Battlestar Galactica in the Stargate Universe.

It was an attempt to capitalize on BSG's ending by creating a show similar to it to attract viewers.

Naturally, it failed - because the Stargate universe (itself, not the show) is not a place where that kind of stuff takes place.

Personally - I couldn't watch it after the pilot. It was extremely cringe-worthy. Frankly, the only way it could POSSIBLY be better, is if they fired the person who thought it was a good idea to try and CROSS Stargate and BSG.

As for the Star Trek movie, my main complaint is the upgrading of the weapons.

Star Trek uses phasers, not turbo lasers. It's Star TREK, a show about exploration, science and intelligence, not about blowing the crap out of the other ship whenever possible. By changing the combat from submarine warfare to what amounts to basically beam spam, it lost the Star Trek quality. The only thing linking those battles to Star Trek are the ships and the crew.

It was however, well-written in terms of dialogue and characters.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
03-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredZero View Post
As for the Star Trek movie, my main complaint is the upgrading of the weapons.

Star Trek uses phasers, not turbo lasers. It's Star TREK, a show about exploration, science and intelligence, not about blowing the crap out of the other ship whenever possible. By changing the combat from submarine warfare to what amounts to basically beam spam, it lost the Star Trek quality. The only thing linking those battles to Star Trek are the ships and the crew.
Well that happened already in ENT and the movie just turned ENT turbo lasers to eleven, but that is evolution when 3D technology get's better to the point of being realistic enough art which is hard to notice as art.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:00 PM.