Lt. Commander
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines and Cryptic Studios Infraction Policy ~WishStone
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-01-2011, 06:33 AM
You should know, that the owner of the forum can decide what stays and what have to go. He has no need to tell the user why.

Personal note:
I do not like such kind of censory in any forum as well. But I have to admit, if I would be a forumholder, I would sometimes act the same to stop spam, that could be avoided. Anyway, the question is, would I do the right thing closing threads as I want? Maybe some of them would still be interesting to debate and don't have to cross the line. Sadly everyone is a critic, even the moderators, and they have the power to abuse, even if not willingly.

The only advice I would give to any moderator is, to think twice before acting.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-01-2011, 06:54 AM
I don't disagree with what you are saying, but I doubt anything will ever change. Most corporations run their public forums with a dictatorial iron fist, especially if non-subscribers (potential customers) can view all of the posts. I don't like censorship either, but we really have no say in the matter.

I'm sure all moderators will explain their actions as not "hiding" the "negative posts" but, cleverly, moving the ones that aren't "constructive." As all of that is open to interpretation ...

As usual, discussing moderation is "bad" and might get you into trouble. This is a near-universal rule in place to hide inconsistencies, or errors in judgement, or just having to explain and justify everything.

I wish you luck on your crusade to open the hearts and minds of corporate policy-making.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-01-2011, 07:35 AM
Cryptic OWNS the forums, servers, and content.

We the user merely pay to access and use the content with in the guide lines set forth by the OWNER (i.e. Cryptic).

If you want to post what you think freely I suggest you buy your own server, set up a forum, and post away to your hearts content. Otherwise accept that Cryptic will, at their discrestion, edit/modify/delete what they wish based on their guidelines. All companies do this.

I am not trying to be mean, but all this information is posted and agreed to when you click that [I agree] button to set up an account. Reading the fine print is never a bad idea.

For comical relief I present this.....

http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2011-02-25/
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-01-2011, 07:49 AM
I think we can count the minutes till this thread will be closed

No, honestly, for the reason more negative threads are moved or closed. Don't you think it's because negative posts often (not always) violate the forum rules more likely than positiv "thank you" posts?!

It's really simple, by using this forum all of us accept the rules cryptic set up. Some of them we will agree with because we see the necessity, others we don't agree with but have to accept them. This is Cryptic's forum, so they set up the rules. Nobody forces anybody to post here, not a perfect situation, but hey that's life. Most negative post are just rants of people demanding everybody to accept their position and showing no respect to the opinion or work of other people. Sometimes the moderation seem to be harsh from a subjective point of view but some people tend to talk nonsense all the time, i bet you don't want to see the forums without a few rules.

Well, good luck for your fight against the wind mills.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-01-2011, 07:59 AM
This is a private venue, not a public one. People confuse the two often. This is owned and operated wholly and solely by Cryptic, and therefore can have any method of moderation they desire, so long as it does not violate or endanger the public safety. Public venues are owned and operated by the public or by an organization operating in the public trust, and therefor are subject to much greater freedom of speech requirements.

Maybe Cryptic is consistent, maybe they aren't. The point is, they do not have to be consistent, rational, or even fair, in how they moderate these boards. So, I am sorry that you don't like it, but it is their ball, and we only play with it so long as they allow, and only in the manor that they permit.

My personal opinion is that negative feedback is fine, so long as it attempts to achieve something constructive. Give critiques, not complaints. Also, my opinion is that if a thread devolves in to flames with nothing really constructive happening, it is time to "put it down", and move on to a more constructive topic.

These are, however, opinions. As such, they need have no baring on the actual operation of the STO forums.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Discussing Disciplinary Actions
Posts and/or private messages that, in any manner whether directly or indirectly, discuss disciplinary actions taken by Cryptic Studios against any user (including the poster) may be subject to an infraction.

Taken from the Forum Announcements: Infraction Policy
Closed Thread