Lt. Commander
# 1 How to keep ship names?
03-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Each time you get promoted you get a new ship. That's nice, but if I like the name of my first ship and want to have my second ship have the same name, I can't. I would like to be able to do like the Enterprise and have each ship have the same name, but with an A, B, C, D designation. Why can't we keep the name of the ship? Just curious.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Technically is it the same reason why you cannot have Exampleman@Exampleaccount twice on the same account.

You can see a dozen different @Name with the same Name (Exampleman@Abalon; Exampleman@Bebulon, Exampleman@Ceculon) but not on the same account - and this simply has to do with the way we store your data on your account.

But you are saying you cannot name a ship - A ; - B ? Because I have seen players do this and have no problems with it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-01-2011, 08:20 AM
I just discharge my old ship and then rename it. Odds are that I won't be flying it again anyway. But I understand that most people like to hang on to their ships and have a certain attachment to them. It would be nice to not have to discharge old ships to keep the name without adding the Aplpha or Beta prefix.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Technically, you can name your new ship the same name as your old ship. However, when you try to give it the same registration number and name as your previous ship, that's when the game has an issue (even if you try to add in an A, B, or C at the end of it).
Solution: Just decomission your old ship.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Just take the last letter off of your old ship name and name your new ship the full name. If you ever want to go back to the old ship, do the reverse.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-01-2011, 08:23 AM
yup, just rename/decomission your old ship and your new ship can have that name and add a letter onto the end of the registry number
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-01-2011, 08:25 AM
i tend to rename by old ship a daft name(i do keep them as museum pieces) and then my fav name is free to go on my new one
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Technically is it the same reason why you cannot have Exampleman@Exampleaccount twice on the same account.

You can see a dozen different @Name with the same Name (Exampleman@Abalon; Exampleman@Bebulon, Exampleman@Ceculon) but not on the same account - and this simply has to do with the way we store your data on your account.

But you are saying you cannot name a ship - A ; - B ? Because I have seen players do this and have no problems with it.
Thing is, you can't do it the authentic way, because -A and -B are supposed to belong to the ships registry.
But as someone just mentioned, you can't use the -A or -B registry additions to give ships the same name and registry.

Example:
U.S.S. Gibraltar, NCC-99256
U.S.S. Gibraltar, NCC-99256-A

This does not work.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Thing is, you can't do it the authentic way, because -A and -B are supposed to belong to the ships registry.
But as someone just mentioned, you can't use the -A or -B registry additions to give ships the same name and registry.

Example:
U.S.S. Gibraltar, NCC-99256
U.S.S. Gibraltar, NCC-99256-A

This does not work.
It would be nice if we could do this
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus_Penguin View Post
Each time you get promoted you get a new ship. That's nice, but if I like the name of my first ship and want to have my second ship have the same name, I can't. I would like to be able to do like the Enterprise and have each ship have the same name, but with an A, B, C, D designation. Why can't we keep the name of the ship? Just curious.
You need to discharge or rename your previous ship in order to name your next ship with the same name.

In Star Trek, they never named a ship with the same name as another until the old one was decommissioned, lost, or destroyed. For Example:

USS Enterprise NCC-1701: Destroyed in ST:III
USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A: Decommissioned after ST:VI
USS Enterprise NCC-1701-B: (?) Decommissioned
USS Enterprise NCC-1701-C: Destroyed
USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D: Destroyed
USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E: Presumed lost with Captain Data