Lt. Commander
# 11
03-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Well I think something to remember is that governments never do what their people want. There are always dissenters. And the Klingon Empire is definitely not a democracy.

You don't like it? Surely there are a lot of Klingons that bristle at it too. Think about B'vat who wants continued war with the Federation and the other ambassador that wants peace. Think about the House of Torg that sided with Romulans. Think about the rival Houses in the Empire. They don't all agree on things, some do things that aren't even the Klingon way, and the current Imperial relations are what they are because the J'mpok thinks its a good idea.

Klingons don't all agree on things, they are not a monolithic hive mind, so surely there are those who oppose how the things are set up right now. But they can't do much about it because they don't have the power to, or they risk creating a worse problem for the Empire.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-05-2011, 09:28 AM
I don't buy this melting pot situation either. Klingons in all the shows, movies, etc.. never..ever..had gorn, nausican or orions as bridge officers on their ships, let alone as a captain. Also it totally ruined my Klingon experience when my Gorn Bridge Officer kept saying things like 'By the blood of Khaless(SP)' etc...

Ok I can maybe take having them on my ship as BO's but when the game allows them to talk like a Klingon..Nah...just ruins the whole immersion for me...hit DELETE button. As far as I know the gorns speech is an unintelligle bunch of slithers. If they would have made it more reptilian in appearance then maybe I could accept it, but don't allow these other races to use klingon phrases etc...to me it just cheapens the Klingons.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by megagamer
Ok I can maybe take having them on my ship as BO's but when the game allows them to talk like a Klingon..Nah...just ruins the whole immersion for me..
You should just use Klingon BOs then? Might bring the immersion back for you? I dunno. Just a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arm514ve View Post
I can see it for the Klingons, what better way to learn about you're future conquests than to have them be part of you're military at one point. you learn there tactics what there physical weaknesses are, and gain there trust so when you do turn on them they are taken in a surprise.

My only gripe is that the Feds and Klingons are at war. in the TNG timeline and up they were the federations closest Allies. Hell Picard and the Enterprise, as well as the federation did more to help out the Klingons, and if the Klnigons knew about Species 8472's (sorry i re-fuse to call them undine) infiltration of governments they would have told starfleet, like starfleet warned and told the other races of the Alpha Quadrant about the Changelings during the Dominion war. If anything the federation would be at war with the Romulans in there retaliation to the loss of there home world because the Vulcan science academy were dicks and said let them burn to Spock.

this is my only gripe with the STO story line is that the feds are at war with there most powerful allies, and vise versa.

But lets be honest if there weren't other races to choose from for the Klinks you would probably be in this thread saying why don't the Klingons have any other Races to play as.
the kdf did try to inform starfleet about the undine, the federation ignored them and took them as plain war mongering and atad we have wahst happening now.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-06-2011, 08:32 PM
I partly agree with the OP. It IS weird that the Klingons would do a 180 on this, especially something so important as being a warrior in a society where the all power is based in the warrior class. It would be like a modern democracy saying it's ok for foreign powers to cast votes in their elections.

You could still have a coalition on the KDF side, just make it a coalition instead of a unified military. Have some groups of gorn & orion ships scattered around Klingon space. To simplify things in the long run you'd still want to fold everyone into a singe group for higher tier play but what you do is start with species specific ships and species specific crewmen ... they already have all those assets in game anyway. Then when they hit LC or maybe Com give them a big speech about how they've gained the Empire's trust and earned the right captain an imperial ship.

Kind of split the difference.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun421 View Post
Am I the only one who thought "Klingon Melting Pot" was the next C-Store item?
It's like fondue...with Gagh!

Lt. Commander
# 17
03-06-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm essentially on the same page. But I find the entire Klingon situation to be BS anyways. The whole split of the Empire and the Federation is pretty poor storytelling for the sake of PVP (as is killing of fantastic characters like Martok).

Thank god nothing but shows and movies are considered canon, maybe one day CBS/Paramount will come back and do a post Nemesis movie and negate some of this extended universe stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-07-2011, 09:20 AM
I hate comparing STO to WoW, because they're largely different games; but here's where WoW did things right. Whatever faction you joined, your character started off in a zone depending on your race. Starter quests, NPCs, and your starting town were all redundant with the exception of their appearance, clothing and dialogue.

My guess is that doing this in STO is considered a 'would be nice to have' as opposed to 'we must do this'. Developer resources are finite and have to be prioritized. But in principal, yes, the game should start off with your character in a zone determined by your race. Or, at the very least, there should be missions unique to your race. A Vulcan having to do mortal combat during his Pan Farr, for example.

EB
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeyer View Post
I hate comparing STO to WoW, because they're largely different games; but here's where WoW did things right. Whatever faction you joined, your character started off in a zone depending on your race. Starter quests, NPCs, and your starting town were all redundant with the exception of their appearance, clothing and dialogue.

My guess is that doing this in STO is considered a 'would be nice to have' as opposed to 'we must do this'. Developer resources are finite and have to be prioritized. But in principal, yes, the game should start off with your character in a zone determined by your race. Or, at the very least, there should be missions unique to your race. A Vulcan having to do mortal combat during his Pan Farr, for example.

EB
an you will notice on wow it dont matter which side is the biggest both sides get the same treatment. an peeps need to remember blizzard didnt start out as the best mmo creater on the planet, they became it by treating there whole subscription paying playerbase right and happy, that playerbase got there friends to play the game grew, they in turn told people and they joined in an ever living roll, then the word got out and boom, 12 million players.

treat your players right both sides and this company wouldnt need to worry about not having enough staff, they would have to worry about where all there staff were going to sit. Star Trek is an insanly huge IP and its been miss treated in the situation we are in. and the only word of mouth that comes from most KDF playerbase lifers and monthly subs is its unfinished, unbalanced and under developed.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-08-2011, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack-NZ
I believe that by removing those factions from the KDF you would be limiting even more an already severly limited side of the game, esp since there is not that many Gorn, Orion or other ships on that side.
As do I. The lack of variety is precicly why the Undine as a player faction is completely ludicrist. With only one species, the game play suffers greatly. Diversity is strenght. This is why most RPGs have at least three different jobs/professsions/classes. It is also why there are multiple "races" or backgrounds, even in a moder RPG where humans are the only species.