Lt. Commander
# 21
03-08-2011, 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastigar
I'm essentially on the same page. But I find the entire Klingon situation to be BS anyways. The whole split of the Empire and the Federation is pretty poor storytelling for the sake of PVP (as is killing of fantastic characters like Martok).

Thank god nothing but shows and movies are considered canon, maybe one day CBS/Paramount will come back and do a post Nemesis movie and negate some of this extended universe stuff.
I agree, to a point. Killing characters just for the sake of killing a character is an addiction that Hollywood script writers seem to have. I personally like the idea of a third or fourth timestream where in the Borg invasion of 2481 from the Destiny series is nipped in the bud (merely posponeing it until the events of the tutorial), yet the Vulcans did help prevent the destruction of the Romulan/Reman Star System.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-08-2011, 02:20 AM
I'm getting semi off-track here but just to elaborate a bit further on my thoughts on this. I think Starfleet and the Empire should have remained allies, especially with Species 8472 making serious attempts to undermine the various powers of the quadrant. Dropping allies seems about as contradictory as possible. Species like the Orions, Gorn, etc could have been added later (or included) as allies of the Federation or perhaps even members. From a gameplay standpoint, PVP could just be considered "war games" which is something that exists within canonical references already. Any Klingons the Federation currently fights could be seen as militant splinter groups (such as the Duras essentially became).

This to me would violate existing canon far less than what we currently have.

More on topic though, the Empire usually did not want the help of outsiders, even the Federation and Picard was a major exception to this rule. Despite all he had done, there were still council members who met him with hostility when he would come to the Empire's aid. So the fact we have Orion or Gorn strolling about the first Imperial City seems fairly unlikely with what's canonically laid out. That doesn't even go into the reaction of Klingons to other species serving aboard their vessels.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote:
I'm getting semi off-track here but just to elaborate a bit further on my thoughts on this. I think Starfleet and the Empire should have remained allies, especially with Species 8472 making serious attempts to undermine the various powers of the quadrant. .
We told them of the danger and were rebuffed in our attempts. They were told of teh Borg threat as well and treated the messenger in a similiar fashion.
The Federation has made it known rather arrogantly that they do not need the help or acknowledge the threat even exists.

The Gorns, Nausicans and Orions on the other hand were conquered and absorbed into the Empire as allies against the Undine.

Its all in the history.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-08-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm aware it's all in the history Cryptic set out. My point is that said history has very little basis in canon to have unfolded anywhere near how Cryptic laid it out. So yes, it's there, but that doesn't make it good.

The entire basis of the Klingon-Federation conflict is really just a poorly written reason to have 2 factions for PVP.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-08-2011, 12:31 PM
I also had a hard time accepting all these other races flying Klingon warships. Thats whay I RP my Nausicann as attempting to conquer the Klingons from the inside. As soon as I have gained enough trust, and have enough numbers on my side..........the inssurection will begin !
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-08-2011, 01:53 PM
So would it be better to dissolve the current KDF and just have Klingons and liberated Borg Klingons in the Empire? All the other groups turn into their own factions with the ability to align with any other factions through PvP and PvE?

Basically turn STO into a game with 10+ factions that can make or break treaties? Cause if so sign me up!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Quote:
I'm aware it's all in the history Cryptic set out. My point is that said history has very little basis in canon to have unfolded anywhere near how Cryptic laid it out. So yes, it's there, but that doesn't make it good.

The entire basis of the Klingon-Federation conflict is really just a poorly written reason to have 2 factions for PVP.
Well the Devs stated very early cannon will fall to playability and fun. Evidently the best way to bring the Gorns, Orions and Nausicans into the game as playable races is to have them conquered by the Empire.
I see no issue with this at all. This is a MMO, not an episode or series from the TV and certain measures had to be taken to make it a playable MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Well the Devs stated very early cannon will fall to playability and fun. Evidently the best way to bring the Gorns, Orions and Nausicans into the game as playable races is to have them conquered by the Empire.
I see no issue with this at all. This is a MMO, not an episode or series from the TV and certain measures had to be taken to make it a playable MMO.
Well, this farce of a war between the 2 sides has gone on too long...They either need to crank it up majorly...or dissolve it when we find out we have been played for fools by the Iconians...
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTerribleRomulan
Well, this farce of a war between the 2 sides has gone on too long...They either need to crank it up majorly...or dissolve it when we find out we have been played for fools by the Iconians...
I don't mind if they make peace as long as we can umm..."welcome" the Tholians into the KDF first
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekTheStars
I don't mind if they make peace as long as we can umm..."welcome" the Tholians into the KDF first
I like your style..."welcoming" the Tholians into the KDF might just fall under the uber-whine section of the Online Discussion Section...lol