Lt. Commander
# 21
03-04-2011, 09:25 AM
I wish they would just save themselves a whole crapload of work and just change all of the communications to say "Admiral." It makes things a lot easier and it sounds like everyone would be amendable to the idea. They could probably keep saying the full rank when you rank up or something very formal, but otherwise I'd be fine with "Admiral" in everything.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
True. However, the devs have also said that they need to get around to remastering old missions. I don't recall the exact quote but it had something to do with the need to backport some of the new tech so that they can fix stuff.

If they're going to remaster anyway, then they should fix this. I'd rather have it fixed bit-by-bit than never at all.

Plus, they don't need to touch every single mission. The only missions where the dialog issues are glaringly bad are the ones at the RA level.
THIS, a thousand times over!

If they're re-mastering the episodes anyway, then there's no logical reason NOT to use the opportunity to get the fix in while they're at it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Mudd
("but our princess is in another castle!" :p )

I just made RA for the first time the other day, and suddenly I'm being subjected to this every time I talk to an NPC.

"I have a mission for you, Rear Admiral, Lower Half."
"Well done, Rear Admiral, Lower Half."
"What can I get you, Rear Admiral, Lower Half?"

It's like tribbles screeching - ignorable, but incredibly annoying. And just when I thought I could ease off a little on the grind, after finally getting out of wallowing Exploration Cruisers and into my sleek new Sovereign; now it looks like I'll just have to keep going until I hit the cap and Vice Admiral, which sounds much better.

(Actually, if I had my druthers, I'd prefer to officially stay a Captain while enjoying the privileges - T5, etc - of higher level. Picard didn't need to be an admiral to command the Ent-E. But I digress.)

I understand that it's probably simplest to just let the game use one variable for rank everywhere. But is there any way the conversation scripts can be changed, or a substitution added, so that NPCs address you as simply "Rear Admiral" or even "Admiral", the way sane people would?

EDIT: For that matter, are privileges tied to rank or to level? Would it be possible for a "Captain 20" to fly T5 ships, at the cost of not having top-level skills or spending skill points that would get him promoted to RA? And if so, could I respec and/or petition for my character's level to be reset thus?
I being in the military totaly agree with ya. i wish that they could make it simpler
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-04-2011, 05:26 PM
I doubt Cryptic would have to change a billion lines of text though. The game already has some tag like %rank% built into it, they'd just have to change how that reference is used. I think its more a matter of being something small that will work its way into an update than an immediate issue.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
I don't understand the complaint. Is your rear, Admiral, not in the lower half?:p
/tilts head/

/ponders/

/spurts out juice on keyboard/
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-05-2011, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickiGraus View Post
Again, old navy tradition - a flag officer (aka, shoot me, cos I have raised the flag as leader of the pack), that is commanding more then one veasle at this time, would be addressed as either Commodore (if his military rank is below Admiral) or as Admiral. He can be also the Captain of his own veasle, but it is not nessasary or required.
Very minor quibble - "flag officer" comes from the naval tradition of fleet commanders (and vice commanders, squadron commanders, etc) having their flag raised on the ship they're on (thus "flagship") so that other ships know which signal hoist to monitor for orders.

That aside, ditto what you and others have said - Admirals in the USN are referred to in conversation as just "Admiral so-and-so", likewise with LCDRs being referred to as Commander and LTjgs being referred to as Lieutenant. I do hope Cryptic fixes this soon, and in the meantime I chalk it up to some idiot desk-driver admiral in Starfleet managing to get a fleetwide memo out and the Chief of Starfleet Operations hasn't had a chance to correct it yet.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
As an old Navy guy, I can understand your frustration. With the Admirals that I deal with occasionally, we always refer to them as Admiral, regardless of how many stars are on their collar. Cryptic ought to find a way to change the scripts so they come out at Admiral each time, vice Rear Admiral and or Vice Admiral. PLus come to think of it, it is how Star Trek always treated their Admirals in the movies and shows also, so there is a canon source for making the change.
Former AF here who worked with Navy... It doesn't matter how many starts you have on your collar, you're always referred to Admiral (General). It should be fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Quote:
I don't understand the complaint. Is your rear, Admiral, not in the lower half?:p
This made me lol.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
Not to be a butthead, but is Colonel, not Colonial. That what the Brits used to call the guys who lived in teh 13 Colonies
Don't you mean "Not to be a Rear Admiral, Upper Half"?
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
the devs have stated in previous threads that they are looking into changing the variables used when NPCs address you so that you are addressed by title or something similar, but it would be prohibitively difficult, because they would literally have to change thousands of dialogues.
Then the devs, respectfully, are looking at this <rear> backwards. Instead of changing all of the <RANK> references to point to a new character attribute with the conversational rank, make <RANK> "Admiral" for all characters above Captain and introduce a new attribute with the full formal rank name and update the few places where you still want to have the formal rank used. That would be far less work.

Considering that most foundry dialogs should be using the conversational, those would get "fixed" as well.