Lt. Commander
# 1 Plasma proc damage question
03-01-2011, 09:59 PM
I tried searching and can't find anywhere that anyone has specifically stated this

My question is;

If I were to actually put points into plasma beam weapons / torpedo weapons, does that increase the damage of the proc as well as the "regular" damage the weapons do?

Or, is the proc a flat rate, and you can't increase it, even with skills?

Just wondering before I waste skill points lol
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NethernyC View Post
I tried searching and can't find anywhere that anyone has specifically stated this

My question is;

If I were to actually put points into plasma beam weapons / torpedo weapons, does that increase the damage of the proc as well as the "regular" damage the weapons do?

Or, is the proc a flat rate, and you can't increase it, even with skills?

Just wondering before I waste skill points lol
At one stage I was considering running with a full Plasma outfit. When 'tuning' my setup, I noticed that the weapon power setting did affect the proc value of Plasma weapons. It is not on a grand scale though... Unless you get the proc to stack multiple times, the damage it does to ones hull is really negligible.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-02-2011, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the reply!

It's good to know that the proc damage does increase as you put skill points into it. I mean, it only makes sense that it should, since you are spending your precious skill points!

I'm on a sci toon that I made... currently at captain.... flying around in my LRSV, which I like a lot. All I do is PvE, so I figure it can't hurt to experiment. I'm trying a combo of Plasma Beams, Phaser Beams, and Transphasic Torpedos. The combo seems to work well together. The TP's have like 28% bleedthru, which hits the hull, and the plasma proc DoT also is applied straight to hull. Since I move around constantly during space battles (and my Cochrane Class, while it's no Dervish, does pretty well at maneuvering), I'm almost always gonna be firing on *some* shields, so "bleedthru" to hull is what I'm going for.

So far it seems decent, but I only have 4 pts each right now into Plasma Energy weapons, and also TP torps. The enemy ships always are gonna be moving around, so you can't really control which shield facing you're hitting, BUT, the hull itself is hit from every direction so it doesn't matter. At least that's my theory.

I didn't drop my 9 points in phasers, which is why I'm running a Phaser beam array, Plasma Beam Array, and TP launcher front and back. having a mix of phasers in there might actually help, if a subsystem goes down that's just gravy.

As for the plasma proc stacking, I think it only applies once, right? I didn't think it could stack? Unless maybe... one proc from beams, and another from a plasma torp?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-02-2011, 04:02 AM
The plasma Proc is best for taking out lots of small NPC ships such as fighters from a carrier, or scorpion. I use a bird of prey with 2 DC plasmas and 1 DHC plasma as well as 2 plasma turrets on back(1 DHC mostly for looks) the plasma proc is next to useless against an actual player but it is so much fun to watch a cruiser burn.... again its really good against fighters and the like.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the advice 12guage
The Plasma Turrets idea is a very good one I think.

I've been playing with the same set-up I mentioned before, 1X Phaser Beam Array, 1X Plasma Beam Array, and 1X Transphasic Torpedo Launcher, front and back, and so far it seems to be a decent combo. I have noticed that NPC Science vessels seem to die faster than just my old Disruptor / Photon setup. Of course I, too am in a Sci ship, so I know to target their aux, shields, weapons etc., and I try to de-buff the crap out of them (Viral Matrix, Subnucleonic Beam, etc). BTW, I *love* my Cochrane class (LRSV), I don't care what anyone says, it's a very versatile little battleship!

But, I just got to Captain 7, and I noticed, while doing the patrol missions in Cardassian space, I've been looting Polaron weapons. I've looted two Polaron beam arrays, a cannon, and a dual beam bank. Kind of... curious that I would be looting them already, when I can't put any points into Polaron yet. However, draining system power seems like a very appealing prospect for someone in a Sci ship, using Sci Officer abilities. Maybe Polarons could compliment a Sci build?

The only problem I have with the procs is, they seem to have such a TINY chance to go off that you hardly ever see it. In all the time I've been playing this character, and using phasers the whole time (all phasers at first, then transitioned to a mix of phasers / plasma), I can only recall ONE TIME that I saw an NPC ship have it's shields go down due to the proc, and it was only for the blink of an eye. Pretty useless if you ask me. So, I would be concerned that the Polaron drain proc would be equally.... lackluster.

I can't find anywhere, where it specifies how LONG this drain effect lasts, so I have to assume it's as long as it takes the target ship to normally regen it's power levels? Maybe I'll start transitioning into Polarons at this point, what the heck