Lt. Commander
# 11
03-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbone
Thankfully we have copy paste now....

Use a "clearing" map, then use BB 500' and make a square out of the area, paving.... sink them -2 y maybe -2.5 y. You can make a HUGE fricking city....

Ugh.
Now that they've added ramps, you can built your cities pretty high vertically too. (I used to before but it took dozens of objects just to go up to one rooftop before.)

I also think invisible walls are your friend if you want to prevent players from accidentally falling into areas that will make the mission uncompleteable.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-07-2011, 01:02 AM
Since my fereginar mission was destroyed by the recent patch.... You just pave the surface of the clearing. If you want an "underworld", use building block arches to get subterranean....

Quote:
Now that they've added ramps, you can built your cities pretty high vertically too. (I used to before but it took dozens of objects just to go up to one rooftop before.)
They HAD ramps.... jus sayin...
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Yeah those massive, huge ramps used to build the Pyramids of Egyipt were in before the patch.
Also, with some patience, you can make a staircase from the foundation blocks.
But why does every building block have to be so massively huge?
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-07-2011, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Patience is all I suggest:
  • I made a Cardassian City. 1, 2

Granted, I got a low review because someone didn't like that there had to be a map transfer to exit the skywalk.
Holy cow! That looks awesome!

It might be stupid question but which one is your mission?
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-07-2011, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
Holy cow! That looks awesome!

It might be stupid question but which one is your mission?
i searched, it's called state secrets
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I'm playing your mission as we speak. That city you built is most impressive
The trick is that this was before map copying. I wanted to reuse the ground map eventually but without copy+paste, it took too long.

If we could share maps with other players, I'd love to share it. (the map is used briefly in like a 20 second scene where you're fed dialogue by a Cardassian researcher).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro1
i searched, it's called state secrets
This. It's not a great mission (it's short and a sequel to another one called "Drawing Proof"). However, it shows that interesting cityscapes are possible in the toolset.

The difficulty is finding where in an object geometry is a suitable beam-in point (some geo lacks collision, meaning you fall through). I originally intended for the ground map to be navigable but without map copy, I decided to keep the beam in "establishing shot" - it looks good and the wandering enemy mobs make you realize the tensions on the planet without actually having to fight them.

I hope to republish my missions with branching dialogue (which suits the primarily non-combat nature) and trigger goodies once everything moves to holodeck.