Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Science Build Advice
03-02-2011, 04:47 PM
I play PvP a lot, and what I have now is designed for pvp. I do fairly well, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve it

This build is for healing / crowd control

Long-Range-Science-Vessel-Refit

2 dual phaser beam banks in front, 1 tricobalt launcher
3 phaser beam arrays in back
aegis equipment

(yes i know I need MK XI stuff, but its expensive and hard to find)
consoles
field generator, field emitter
Halon MK XI, sensor probes Mk X, Collimator Mk x, Induction stabilizer mk XI
borg console, beam console mk xi

Officers
tac:
faw 1
tac team 2

Engineering
engineering team 1
emergency power to shields 2

Science
Commander
tractor beam
transfer shields 2
Tykens 2
Gravity Well 3

Lt Commander
science team 1
scamble sensors 1
Hazard Emitters 3

Ensign
Tractor beam 1


In addition, I have a question about power levels. My current ones are:
70/60
87/60
42/25
76/55


Any suggestions?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
03-02-2011, 07:14 PM
no one has anything to say? thats... quite depressing
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
03-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERLOURD
I play PvP a lot, and what I have now is designed for pvp. I do fairly well, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve it

This build is for healing / crowd control

Long-Range-Science-Vessel-Refit

2 dual phaser beam banks in front, 1 tricobalt launcher
3 phaser beam arrays in back
aegis equipment

(yes i know I need MK XI stuff, but its expensive and hard to find)
consoles
field generator, field emitter
Halon MK XI, sensor probes Mk X, Collimator Mk x, Induction stabilizer mk XI
borg console, beam console mk xi

Officers
tac:
faw 1
tac team 2

Engineering
engineering team 1
emergency power to shields 2

Science
Commander
tractor beam
transfer shields 2
Tykens 2
Gravity Well 3

Lt Commander
science team 1
scamble sensors 1
Hazard Emitters 3

Ensign
Tractor beam 1


In addition, I have a question about power levels. My current ones are:
70/60
87/60
42/25
76/55


Any suggestions?
well, quite honestly.... i saw this loadout/skill list and i thought... wtf.

you have 3 team skills, they share a global cooldown that allows only 2 to effectivly be used consistantly. so while i suppose haveing the 3 to choose from is a nice ideal, in the heat of pvp combat making the most of all powers is key.

for tthose tactical powers, faw for mine clearance is an ok power, but id seriously take a rear normal torp of some type and a high yeild one. then if you want to go more team defense take attack pattern delta 1. if you want to support the team offensivly then the combo of faw and attack pattern beta is a neat idea.

your engineering powers are alright, other options include epts 1 and eng team 2.

alrighty heres where i think you could maximize the "crowd control/healing" for the sci powers.

either take a high grav well or a high tykens rift. i know some use both but i have personally never found taking 2 different powers that useful. although taking a duplicate has its moments.

heres what id suggest-
sci commander-
grav well 3/tyks rift 3
shock wave 1
charged burst 1
tractor beam 1

sci lt cmdr-
haz 3
scramble sensor 1
sci team 1

engsin-
transfer shield 1

you could swap out the chrged burst 1 for another power, but ive always felt that variety is the spice of life.

now your power levels are the most disterbing ive seen in a while. have you sunk any skill points into effecency and performance (those give extra power) and keep in mind that anything below 50 engine power will usually lead to a quick death. i believe my power levels are alont the lines of 109-60-54-90 (the weapons and aux im sure on the engines and shields im a little less sure of.) so you may need/want to look at how you allocate your power.


somthing else to consider is maybe dropping the intrpid refit and hitting up the dssv, it would allow a little more hull healing then this loadout would.

i hope this helps, good luck out there and may the pew be with you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
03-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERLOURD
no one has anything to say? thats... quite depressing
dont get too discouraged, im not sure this was the proper location to post this. i saw you had it in the sci ship location and that actually may have been the better option. or the actual sci officer location too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
03-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716 View Post
you have 3 team skills, they share a global cooldown that allows only 2 to effectivly be used consistantly. so while i suppose haveing the 3 to choose from is a nice ideal, in the heat of pvp combat making the most of all powers is key.

for those tactical powers, faw for mine clearance is an ok power, but id seriously take a rear normal torp of some type and a high yeild one. then if you want to go more team defense take attack pattern delta 1. if you want to support the team offensivly then the combo of faw and attack pattern beta is a neat idea.
i've actually been using this quite often, usually only the science and engineering teams for heals. The tac team works very nice with a tricobalt, but thats about all I use it for. The faw i never actually use because I prefer to target subsystems instead. i've thought about switching to tac team one and taking beta or delta patterns. any thoughts on that?



Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716 View Post
alrighty heres where i think you could maximize the "crowd control/healing" for the sci powers.

either take a high grav well or a high tykens rift. i know some use both but i have personally never found taking 2 different powers that useful. although taking a duplicate has its moments.

heres what id suggest-
sci commander-
grav well 3/tyks rift 3
shock wave 1
charged burst 1
tractor beam 1

sci lt cmdr-
haz 3
scramble sensor 1
sci team 1

engsin-
transfer shield 1

you could swap out the chrged burst 1 for another power, but ive always felt that variety is the spice of life.
hmm... whats the difference between transfer shield strength 1 and 2? i thought two was much better than one, which is why i had the extra tractor beam in the ensign slot. though the fact that i can stop someone from moving for 2 min straight can be advantageous.

i think its kinda funny that my alternate setup is exactly what you suggest for my sci commander, except with shockwave and grav well switched

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716 View Post
now your power levels are the most disterbing ive seen in a while. have you sunk any skill points into effecency and performance (those give extra power) and keep in mind that anything below 50 engine power will usually lead to a quick death. i believe my power levels are alont the lines of 109-60-54-90 (the weapons and aux im sure on the engines and shields im a little less sure of.) so you may need/want to look at how you allocate your power.
i have maxed out all the efficiency skills and any other skills that increase power, and that is what I got. what were your baseline power levels? because i'm pretty sure that without a hell of a lot of power consoles you couldn't get the power levels you mentioned without bof powers


thank you for the advice though. I had been feeling that tykens was a little underpowered lately, though it can be useful sometimes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
03-03-2011, 02:41 AM
depending on the skill points sunk transfer 1 + epts 2 is a great combo for self survival.

as for tactical team, well on a healer/cc build its way out of place. espically considering you have a sci team and engineering team that need to be constantly used to heal yourself or a team mate.

if your realling wanting a power shield heal swap the haz 3 for a transfer 3 and take a haz 1. (its still pretty decent)

if you take all the performance and the effecency for a skill (ie engiens) then when at 25 power itll give 50. this holds true to all the powers when set to 25.

so seeing that you have 42 for your engines it leads me to believe you dont have all the points needed for the power thingy. just a friendly heads up on that, its the effenceny and performance that actually increase power, not mantinance.

my power settings are-
109/90
54/25
53/30
90/55

this is with 8's in effeceny and 9's in performance (add in effecent engines too)

now, the other thing i was pondering, why do your rear and forward weapons not sync together? it looks like youre going for head on damage in the front but side damage in the rear. if anything id drop 2 of the rear beam arrays and take 2 turrets to max the forward damage, or drop one of the duel beams in front for a regular beam to max the broadsides. also i assume the phasers are being used for the proc? if thats the case id maybe consider distruptors as well for their proc.

i gave your consoles a once over as well, you have too much of a mix on the science consoles and the probe console is a compelte waste of space. the tactical consoles are ok, but id personally take the phaser+ so you could mix and match beams and cannons.

the engineering consoles, well the shield increase is great, but the regen console is a major waste (unless you run high shields all the time). if anything you could squeeze in a sif console to increase you eng team, or take a + to power console, or some sort of armor to help self survivablity. or you could go crazy and put the borg console there and take another + to weapons console.

just some more stuff that crossed my mind. feel free to find me in game if youd like a few more pointers and what not.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
03-03-2011, 03:50 AM
If your goal is healing and crowd control, consider using

Tac
BFaW1, AP:B1
Eng
EPtS1, EPtS2
Sci
ST1
HE1, HE2, GW1
TSS1, TSS2, SS2, SS3

for healing or
Sci
ST1
TB1, HE2, GW1
TB1, TSS2, SS2, SS3

for more crowd control

Use
1 DBB, 1 Breen Cluster and 1 Tricobalt front
1 BA, 2 Chroniton mines rear

Base power levels
25
50
25
100

Maximum (team) healing and Sci & mine spam. Most people will hate you for it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
03-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716 View Post
depending on the skill points sunk transfer 1 + epts 2 is a great combo for self survival.

as for tactical team, well on a healer/cc build its way out of place. espically considering you have a sci team and engineering team that need to be constantly used to heal yourself or a team mate.

if your realling wanting a power shield heal swap the haz 3 for a transfer 3 and take a haz 1. (its still pretty decent)

if you take all the performance and the effecency for a skill (ie engiens) then when at 25 power itll give 50. this holds true to all the powers when set to 25.

so seeing that you have 42 for your engines it leads me to believe you dont have all the points needed for the power thingy. just a friendly heads up on that, its the effenceny and performance that actually increase power, not mantinance.

my power settings are-
109/90
54/25
53/30
90/55

this is with 8's in effeceny and 9's in performance (add in effecent engines too)

now, the other thing i was pondering, why do your rear and forward weapons not sync together? it looks like youre going for head on damage in the front but side damage in the rear. if anything id drop 2 of the rear beam arrays and take 2 turrets to max the forward damage, or drop one of the duel beams in front for a regular beam to max the broadsides. also i assume the phasers are being used for the proc? if thats the case id maybe consider distruptors as well for their proc.

i gave your consoles a once over as well, you have too much of a mix on the science consoles and the probe console is a compelte waste of space. the tactical consoles are ok, but id personally take the phaser+ so you could mix and match beams and cannons.

the engineering consoles, well the shield increase is great, but the regen console is a major waste (unless you run high shields all the time). if anything you could squeeze in a sif console to increase you eng team, or take a + to power console, or some sort of armor to help self survivablity. or you could go crazy and put the borg console there and take another + to weapons console.

just some more stuff that crossed my mind. feel free to find me in game if youd like a few more pointers and what not.
thanks for the response

i can't find transfer shields 3, or I would have gotten it a long time ago

tactical team i have because i only play PUGs, and many fed players do not balance shields. it is also very helpful to use before I fire my tricobalt

thanks for the power levels information, my power levels are now:
76/70
78/45
52/25
80/60

not as good as yours, but i am not using efficient engines, as I need aegis

weapons: I am not going for damage at all with the phasers, my sole damage comes from the tricobalt. I kept weapon power relatively high because, as I understand it, weapon power is tied into target subsystems?
I just wanted beam coverage for target subsystems.

-i am also considering switching my tac +beams console to a +torpedo or + tricobalt console

eng consoles
my consoles are a +35% shield and a +7 shield power console, sorry for the typo.


again, thanks for all the information
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9 thanks
03-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellspawny View Post
If your goal is healing and crowd control, consider using

Tac
BFaW1, AP:B1
Eng
EPtS1, EPtS2
Sci
ST1
HE1, HE2, GW1
TSS1, TSS2, SS2, SS3

for healing or
Sci
ST1
TB1, HE2, GW1
TB1, TSS2, SS2, SS3

for more crowd control

Use
1 DBB, 1 Breen Cluster and 1 Tricobalt front
1 BA, 2 Chroniton mines rear

Base power levels
25
50
25
100

Maximum (team) healing and Sci & mine spam. Most people will hate you for it.
i actually tried a setup similar to this, but i found that the tss and HE overlapped too much. I haven't tried dual scramble powers, but i am thinking they will overlap as well. do they?

i appreciate the idea for mine spam, but I really, Really hate how mines work in this game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
03-04-2011, 12:23 PM
id personally still drop the tact team and either take another subsystem tartget 1 or a torp high yeild/spread.

since damage is not your objective id reroute the weapons power to aux. and id definatly drop the dual beam banks and take either 4 beam arrays, the tric torp and a regular torp. or a regular torp and a tric mine.

or if your really want just to be a support player, take 4 turrets. that way you get the maximum amount of proc chances no matter what angle your attack is from.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 AM.