Lt. Commander
# 11
03-06-2011, 07:35 PM
It's easy, don't actively promote your mission and only tell your fleetmates....
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-07-2011, 04:45 AM
I think he has a point.
Personally, I would love to be able to publish my missions as a private mission to test it with my regular character and see if everything runs as intended once published (NPC wander and jobs come to mind).

Plus, there are more advantages:
Say, I would want to make a mission specially designed for my fleet - or even just a number of people I want to invite. I would love that.

Also, you could make these private missions not requiring a review.

One benefit I see is that I could create a mission for a select number of people who would "get" it (as the mission involves, say, some internal struggle of fleet-rpg) without getting a lot of negativ ratings because it doesn't make sense for anyone else.

I think it's a good idea.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
I think he has a point.
Personally, I would love to be able to publish my missions as a private mission to test it with my regular character and see if everything runs as intended once published (NPC wander and jobs come to mind).

Plus, there are more advantages:
Say, I would want to make a mission specially designed for my fleet - or even just a number of people I want to invite. I would love that.

Also, you could make these private missions not requiring a review.

One benefit I see is that I could create a mission for a select number of people who would "get" it (as the mission involves, say, some internal struggle of fleet-rpg) without getting a lot of negativ ratings because it doesn't make sense for anyone else.

I think it's a good idea.
Agreed! Missions will need to be tested in a Live environment, especially as they cannot be copied over from Tribble.

This community will jump at the chance to one-star unfinished product, or anything that doesn't immediately cater to their special needs. As you rightly say, if it doesn't make sense then it'll get a hatchet job; no matter how many disclaimers are added.

Catering to the Lowest Common Denominator was how we got Enterprise.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-07-2011, 04:31 PM
I don't think you really need to worry about it... if the people that want to play your mission know about it... you can have them give it a 1 star rating and have an un-attractive name and not very graceful description and i doubt anyone else will give it a second thought...

It is tough enough to get people to try any mission at all... let alone something that seems un-attractive... besides... what possible harm would there be in letting just anyone play it? unless it has content that is contrary to the user agreement I cannot see what the possible harm could be...

I think it is safe to say that no one is going to play your mission before you get a chance to test it with your main character. and even if they did... so what? is the world going to end? if you are afraid of bad reviews quit now... you will never please everyone no matter how good your mission is...

there are some very good reasons why you cannot restrict access to missions... and I don't know any good reason for a restriction or private setting for access...
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Call your mission "Don't Play This" and put nothing in the description and nobody will want to try it. Then after you're ready, just republish it again but change the name to the real thing.