Lt. Commander
I didn't really like shoping for a type of weapon like Poloron or Phaser because I've changed into a Dreadnought or I'm just trying to anticipate the damage type for the next content coming out. It's too much of a grind for emblems, yeah, it is.

How about the weapons like Beams, DBB, Cannons, Turrets, etc do all of the different damage types and have the ability to change between the various damage types - not all damage types at once - with a cooldown, like 1 minute between selections? All of the damage types being poloron, phaser, plasma, etc. Maybe switching between damage types also would consume a type of fuel we'd have to carry on the ship. This should get it's own unique action bar with the ability to group the weapons, too.

Then there's the issue with skill points and where to put them if, theoretically, we had all damage types available to us. Well, that part of the skill tree needs to be changed anyway, in a big way, because it doesn't make sense that Phaser damage costs less skill points than Antiproton. So if the damage types were homogenized in the skill tree some how and we could use any damage type on the weapons- that'd be a way to fix that part of the tree. This could open up new strategies for fighting too.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-01-2011, 05:33 PM
and use the console for the energy type?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-02-2011, 04:19 PM
If you're asking about how to interface, I was thinking an addition to the UI that's specific to this - a new bar just for grouping weapons and changing damage types. Since Cryptic is struggling with the UI to make it more useful, maybe using the ship console system would be better. Add one additional console slot for the tactical slot for all ships, make it unique to accept a console for energy weapon damage type and provide unique stats though it.

However, I was thinking UI because I wanted this to be changeable in combat and you really can't switch consoles in combat.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
no using the energy consoles to change the energy type of the weapon
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icderion98
no using the energy consoles to change the energy type of the weapon
I guess I need you to list off some examples, I'm not following you.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb2008 View Post
I guess I need you to list off some examples, I'm not following you.
I think what he is trying to describe is this. The actual phaser in the weapon slot would be a neutral type. In order to determine the type of damage the phaser does, you would slot a console in, say, the tactical console slot, which would change the weapon type. But then you would just have to grind for al console types as opposed to all weapon types.

I'm not a huge fan of the grind either, but that's what MMOs are. I don't really support an ability that changes damage types on the fly, regardless of the cool down. It's silly enough to be able to swap equipment in the middle of a warzone simply because you aren't "flagged" for combat, but I understand the neccessity for it. At least you don't have to go all the way back to Earth Space Dock or an appropriate shipyard just to change your ships equipment.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun421 View Post
I think what he is trying to describe is this. The actual phaser in the weapon slot would be a neutral type. In order to determine the type of damage the phaser does, you would slot a console in, say, the tactical console slot, which would change the weapon type. But then you would just have to grind for al console types as opposed to all weapon types.

I'm not a huge fan of the grind either, but that's what MMOs are. I don't really support an ability that changes damage types on the fly, regardless of the cool down. It's silly enough to be able to swap equipment in the middle of a warzone simply because you aren't "flagged" for combat, but I understand the neccessity for it. At least you don't have to go all the way back to Earth Space Dock or an appropriate shipyard just to change your ships equipment.
I was thinking one (universal) console to have all damage types added into the powers tray or a new action bar and yes, phaser would be a base damage type that everyone has available. I think it would be good to have this level of dynamic change available.

If anything, a ship fit manager that would change ship equip and BO assignments at the push of a button would be a great addition.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-04-2011, 09:12 AM
I would not be in favor of this, as it would break a game dynamic that I believe should be enhanced, not reduced.

Right now, you have to spec into a weapon type to do much damage. Which is good. You CAN use anything, but you SHOULD use what you are spec'ced for for maximum damage potential. And you do not have sufficient points to spec into more than two types (and two is a stretch)

With emphasis on hull resists, and even some emerging shield resists -- both very limited because they are tied to engineering slots, and only changeable OUT of combat -- you have to determine to take a lower (but wider based) resist to cover everything OR take higher resists that affect certain weapons classes.

Right now, the lower tier weapons (everything BUT anti-proton and polaron) gets lumped together, both in general skill costs and resist types. So, if you pick high resists for phaser/plasma/disruptors you generally cover the majority of damage types, as everyone generally goes for the "lower skill cost" weapons.
If you spec into the higher cost weapons, you will generally avoid very high resist consoles and therefore, have much larger potential for damage.

I like the idea of limited engineering consoles to stack your hull resists and shield modifiers. I do not support separate amour slots. I also think the weapons should be all 'same tier" in skill costs to widen the variety you will face routinely, as well as uncoupling the "high resist" consoles from the phaser/plasma/disruptor/tetryon into at most - two groupings. Different combinations of phaser/tetryon or phaser/disruptors, etc etc etc.

With these changes you will face a wider variety of both offensively and defensively combinations. I think this will break up some of the long stalemates, while maintaining good balance, both PvE and PvP. PvP teams will, of course, adapt easily, modify the team load out to distribute weapon and resist types, but PvE, you can still change out very effectively to meet changing mission areas. Non-premade PvP people will
still benefit, as they can run whatever they bring - and have a chance at targeting someone NOT specifically specc'ed to resist them. (as is what often happens now)

but.that is my .25 cents. You still need more for a decent cup of coffee.....