Lt. Commander
# 1 How many people play STO
03-03-2011, 03:37 PM
My question is how many people play STO? is it growing, shrinking, or staying the same just cause I played STO when it first came out and it was "okay" but since I came back the game has gotten so much better since February 2010 so I was considering getting a life time subscription but I dont want to get a life time subscription if the game is then cancelled a year from now.
Just curious on everyone thoughts.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-03-2011, 03:38 PM
It launched with over 100k, then seemed to drop off, and has lately seemed to be growing. No one except Cryptic knows the actual figures, and they arent going to tell us.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-03-2011, 03:43 PM
i have stats that prove that at least one person plays. that is all that matters
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I believe its growing. I say that because, a few months ago, had a person asked me about STO, I'd tell them there are better things to spend money on. Now, I can talk of almost nothing negative. I'll bet many others are the same way.

Add to that the server overloads they've been having (cuz of too many people) and I'll bet its either the same or growing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-03-2011, 03:47 PM
well it is obvious that a great deal more people have been playing since January than ever before.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-03-2011, 03:54 PM
The closest thing we have to a number, is past speculation in a thread on the population being around 60,000. The only official response we got to that guess is that its a much smaller number than the truth.

So much more than 60k, anything beyond that is pure speculation.

EDIT: Found the post. http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=196237&page=6
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-03-2011, 04:05 PM
People get way to worked up on the number of players to determine if a game is successful. EVE online for a long time had a very low player count but they are now one of the most successful MMOs out there. The only player count that should matter is the count of your friends that are on for you to enjoy the game with.

Simple truth is a great MMO with a lower count is still a great MMO, just as a crap one with higher count is still crap. Don't sweat the number of people playing, instead enjoy the game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Growing or shrinking I couldn't say what I can say that on any given day during the anniversary on ESD there was 13 different servers all had over 30 players most over 50 with 3-5 over 70. Klingons had between 3-4 servers all around 50 players. That was just when I logged on so I'm sure numbers carried through the time zones.

I know during these weekly episodes there are similar numbers on the servers in the zones.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer.Ed
People get way to worked up on the number of players to determine if a game is successful. EVE online for a long time had a very low player count but they are now one of the most successful MMOs out there. The only player count that should matter is the count of your friends that are on for you to enjoy the game with.

Simple truth is a great MMO with a lower count is still a great MMO, just as a crap one with higher count is still crap. Don't sweat the number of people playing, instead enjoy the game.
While it is true that the number of players do not determine how "good" the game is, the number of players DO determine the game's revenue, and the higher the revenue the more resources the company has to work with. So more players = more Devs and budget = more content and more often. The reverse is true as well.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I remember someone went through every zone in the game and counted up how many people were in each instance back in Open Beta. I think they found that there were around 40,000 on at one time. I'd say that the game launched with at least 100,000 copies sold, as it was the 2nd best selling game on the PC the week it came out (behind Mass Effect 2, which came out the week prior).

After that, there was probably a steady trickle of people leaving all the way up until the featured episodes started. I'd say STO has been growing again since they started.