Lt. Commander
# 1 Exploring Sol System
03-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Just reading the march ask cryptic. read to the question about the explorable sol system.

Quote:
We have created a system map for each planet in the Sol system, and where appropriate we have also added stations and other sites that are expected to be there such as Utopia Planetia at Mars and Jupiter Station at Jupiter. You will have a navigation option that will ask you which planet you want to visit and it will transfer you there.
Somehow I think when people were asking to explore the Sol System they weren't asking for more load screens.

LOADING LOADING LOADING LOADING....sometimes this game feels like it is on the commodore 64

LOAD "Star Trek Online",8,1
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naphl View Post
Just reading the march ask cryptic. read to the question about the explorable sol system.

Somehow I think when people were asking to explore the Sol System they weren't asking for more load screens.

LOADING LOADING LOADING LOADING....sometimes this game feels like it is on the commodore 64

Why does there have to be a load screen? Theres already several space maps in game where you can warp to different locations in the same system, without a load screen at all.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-03-2011, 04:54 PM
you could be right, I could be right.

For Surak's sake I hope you are right.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-03-2011, 05:01 PM
i hope so too. qould be boring just to warp to every single planet to visit ONE site. they should all combine it in ONE sol map, and then make warppoints like in some of the missions. everything else would be terrific and would NOT have the positive aspects the devs expect.

perhaps theyll find a way to reduce all these loading screens that are already there. it just breaks the feelings of the game. its like having 20 advertising breaks within a 30min series episode ^^. perhaps the loadingsreens could be made somehow that way, that they are representative. eg beaming down could get a nice sreen with a transporterroom. this would lower the scene-breaking effect of loading screens, esp in episodes and missions.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Wait, what happened?

All of Sol's in now?
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Quote:
you could be right, I could be right.

For Surak's sake I hope you are right.
Then again, this could depend on the hardware running the STO client locally. I've heard that some players see loading screens when using the turbolift between decks on their ship. I've never seen them.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Quote:

GOTO 41, 2

I have no idea what you feds plan on doing 'exploring the sol system'.
sounds boring
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-03-2011, 05:41 PM
I still maintain the position that a solar system should be a solar system you can fly around. If you're going to make it a jump to planet thing, then why do we need Sector Space to get anywhere? Just jump to the planet.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
I still maintain the position that a solar system should be a solar system you can fly around. If you're going to make it a jump to planet thing, then why do we need Sector Space to get anywhere? Just jump to the planet.
do you plan on not jumping to another planet or solar system?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Hmmm... I'm generally of the position that it would take quite some time for a ship to travel the entire solar system on impulse. There'd be plenty of moments where your ship is simply... traveling, like in sector space. Given that, I'm kind of glad they're talking about doing jump points.