Lt. Commander
# 21
03-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl View Post
Why does there have to be a load screen? Theres already several space maps in game where you can warp to different locations in the same system, without a load screen at all.
Technical limitation of the engine I would imagine; and as to the missions that have you warp to different areas on the map - depends on you setup but there is a quick load screen for the transitions. I know DStahl said he didn't want the Sol system in until they could get rid of the laod screens for it, but that tech hurdle may be harder to overcome than originally thought - and peopel DO want the Sol system and they've had the maps since before Zinc left; thuus it might be they're just saying 'screw it for now, adding in what they have - and if they can get the game engine to the point where load screens aren't needed, take them out at that time.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-04-2011, 12:08 AM
I wish they could make one big massive instance, where each planet in turn was far enough away from the previous one to look really small, with clickable warp points between them. I know it's not very likely to happen, but it would be nice. I'm just glad they confirmed Utopia Planitia and Jupiter Station. I'm getting really psyched for explorable Sol now.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Technical limitation of the engine I would imagine; and as to the missions that have you warp to different areas on the map - depends on you setup but there is a quick load screen for the transitions. I know DStahl said he didn't want the Sol system in until they could get rid of the laod screens for it, but that tech hurdle may be harder to overcome than originally thought - and peopel DO want the Sol system and they've had the maps since before Zinc left; thuus it might be they're just saying 'screw it for now, adding in what they have - and if they can get the game engine to the point where load screens aren't needed, take them out at that time.
I don't have much experience with MMOs, but I'm still not sure why this is such a huge technical challenge, especially at the solar system level. Yeah, maybe in Sector Space where they want to re-instance you every so often, but once you're in a solar system instance it should be no problem since there is no reason to be instancing people again until they beam down. It should work like any other game wherein the client determines what the player can "see" and doesn't draw anything else.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Also, I hope there is some decent planet scaling for Sol. I'm sure they won't be able to go full scale, as Jupiter is absolutely massive compared to Earth, but I'd like to see a major improvement over what we have now. I'd like to see Sol be a test bed for improved planet scaling throughout the whole game.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
I don't have much experience with MMOs, but I'm still not sure why this is such a huge technical challenge, especially at the solar system level. Yeah, maybe in Sector Space where they want to re-instance you every so often, but once you're in a solar system instance it should be no problem since there is no reason to be instancing people again until they beam down. It should work like any other game wherein the client determines what the player can "see" and doesn't draw anything else.
The engine they're using server side wasn't built for STO, they didn't even have the license when it was built, and has certain limitations. With experience, I imagine they're getting more proficient at squeezing it into the mold they're trying to fit it in but some limitations just can't be overcome without a lot of development time/resources.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-04-2011, 12:46 AM
They could use cinematics in stead of static screens, example... Coliseum during
The cut scene with the tel shiar, your ship could have been loading, or a nice cinematic of your ship at warp
When entering and leaving a system.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro1
They could use cinematics in stead of static screens, example... Coliseum during
The cut scene with the tel shiar, your ship could have been loading, or a nice cinematic of your ship at warp
When entering and leaving a system.
They had animated loading screens during closed beta (nice ones too) - the issue was - on lower spec systems the animations stole enough CPU cycles to make zone loading time longer; so they were dumped for the screenshiot type loading screens. And since loading requires a lot of HD access - doing it in conjuction with a cutscene (that also requires a lot of HD access; BOTH functions would suffer badly.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Not sure what Cryptic is planning, but I figure we probablly end up something like several missions in game where you can visit different planets without loading a new map.

For instance, in the demo or in Episode 3-3, where you got a space map and then warp to planetary orbit. But instead we would get an option which planet to warp to.

Just hope that some of the places will be visitable (someday).

Mercury - small research station (Shatner Novel)
Venus - Undergoing Terraforming (DS9)
Mars - Utopia Plantia and Mars City
Jupiter - Jupiter Station, Ganymede Colony (TOS and VOY)
Saturn - Titan Station
* Jovian Run = Shuttle run between Jupiter Station and Titan Station (TNG).
Pluto - Pluto Research Base (Medical)
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Yeah, I really wish they could get rid of the loading screens. I have a pretty good rig, so the load times are not too long. But they are still there.

When generating a space scene, it seems as if it would be much less resource intense than rendering a vast landscape, complete with waving grass, trees, clouds, wild life, etc. So it would seem as though we could load in the back ground as WOW does.

But I am not a tech person so I don't know.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
Also, I hope there is some decent planet scaling for Sol. I'm sure they won't be able to go full scale, as Jupiter is absolutely massive compared to Earth, but I'd like to see a major improvement over what we have now. I'd like to see Sol be a test bed for improved planet scaling throughout the whole game.
Nevermind Jupiter. Think of pulling up close to the sun.

This was a huge disappointment for me when I got the game. The first thing I tried to do was to go check out the other planets and the sun because I was pleased Earth was scaled reasonably large instead of like the tiny planets in Legacy.