Lt. Commander
To explain the idea in extremely simple terms: It's just access to the Bank, just like at ESD, except aboard your ship, and labelled Cargo Hold for verisimilitude purposes.

Sorry for the bold, just wanted to make sure new people coming into the thread actually knew what I was talking about. I posted the original thread while not quite awake and apparently did a terrible job explaining what I was after. So - hopefully that's more clear.

=========

Original text:

I was just thinking about this: Why do we have a Bank in a game where every character has access to at a starship?

I know that technically that's what the Inventory is, but it really doesn't feel like it at all. It also feels a bit odd going all the way back to ESD or Q'onos to have them hold stuff for me that should, by all rights, fit on my ship without any effort. I will grant that, due to the simplicity* of STO's inventory system, we technically can hold as many full-size Phaser Arrays as we can Type-2 hand phasers... and so admittedly a hold full of the former may strain disbelief a little... but really no more than well... the above example.

Basically the point is: Why not let us have a bank in our interior so instead of going all the way back to space dock, we can just grab stuff from our holds? >.>

*This isn't a bad thing.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Even a small UI change stating that instead of a 'bank' you're accessing Starfleet General Storage would help.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Hunter 9
Even a small UI change stating that instead of a 'bank' you're accessing Starfleet General Storage would help.
Pretty much this, when I first entered the thread, I was expecting it to be about renaming the bank.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-18-2011, 11:32 AM
There should be different types of storage:

Starbase or Starship Storage: Ship Shields, Ship Weapons, Impulse Engines, Deflectors, Consoles, etc. Should be on a sliding scale with the size of the ship (i.e. more room on a Galaxy-R than a Defiant-R). Should also include Shuttle slots.

Personal Storage: Personal Shields, Armor, Weapons, Food, Anomalies, everything else.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-18-2011, 11:38 AM
An old idea I had:

Let us add Cargo Bays to interiors for onboard (extra) storage. Let there be small cargo bays, medium sized ones, and large ones. Let larger ships hold multiple cargo bays.

Some can be won in missions, some can be bought with merits, and maybe even (GASP) some on the C-Store.

But not only should this add extra storage for you aboard your ship, but also an extra room you can walk into and see: the Cargo Bay.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-18-2011, 11:41 AM
That would be a good idea, The problem is that sombody with a small ship will probably argue that its not fair there being forced to have a larger ship to store more stuff.

While were on the subject though why not have limiited space fore torpedoes, I would really like some more reality when it comes to the amount thats carried, Maybe even have to go an restock for every so often.

I could also add a new dimension to how you play you can just fly round for months without ever going to a star base as you would be out or supplies and torps
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Hunter 9
I beleive the phrase you're reaching for is "Starfleet Materiel Supply Command" (sic)

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Starfle...Supply_Command
http://www.yourprops.com/Starfleet-M...rop-23599.html

('ve got one of those brown cargo container stickers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyUk
That would be a good idea, The problem is that somebody with a small ship will probably argue that its not fair there being forced to have a larger ship to store more stuff.
As to the idea of a cargo-bay with scaling capacity that you can "upgrade" in the C-STore... I love the idea. Give us a basic "Cargo Bay" (which would really just be a nice room with containers and pods where we could access our "bank" from our ship's interior) and then let us install additional cargo-space (more slots) for a fee at the C-Store. I think we could live with a static, un-scaling "cargo-bay" room.. scaling the capacity is what's important.

I think we should keep the "bank" terminals at the Starbases as well.. it allows us to use our ship's cargo in conjunction with the ability to buy and sell items from the vendors.

Quote:
While were on the subject though why not have limiited space fore torpedoes, I would really like some more reality when it comes to the amount thats carried, Maybe even have to go an restock for every so often.

I could also add a new dimension to how you play you can just fly round for months without ever going to a star base as you would be out or supplies and torps
Limited torpedoes was something that they toyed with during beta, and it was determined that much like "walking down to main engineering and banging on the consoles with a wrench or flying back to starbase after every mission to repair damage.. " it simply wasn't "fun" to have a limited number of torpedoes.

This is, I'm sure, much the same reason why enemies are so difficult to take down. A 2-ship battle in any Star Trek episode or film worth mentioning, generally lasts no more than 3-5* minutes of actual combat.This is because special effects are expensive, and long drawn out battle scenes aren't as interesting as watching the crew mourn their dead.

*- (most of the "Mutara Nebula" battle in Wrath of Khan is the two captains blustering at each other, and playing hide and seek).

In the show, torpedoes are a limited commodity, hulls are thin, explosions are grand and devastating, and battles are quick. In STO, for the most part, all there is to the game is "Battles", with a little text and flying from point A to B, tying it all together. The battles have to last, making the hulls harder, the sheilds tougher, and requiring 6 or so torpedoes in every single skirmish. WIth the average grinding mission constituting 3 groups of 3 ships each, that's a rough estimate of 54 torpedoes for one "mission".

By contrast, Voyager had only 38 torpedoes as of "The Cloud" (Episode 6)... "And no way to replace them after they're gone." and according to some sources, may have managed it's entire series run without actually using ALL of those 38 up.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-18-2011, 01:32 PM
I believe they also ran through this idea before beta, a separate bank and cargo hold. They did decide not to, I cannot remember the reason.

I think, that we should be able to be self sufficiant such as the enterprise was, in a lot of ways.

They could communicate by hailing.
They could heal crew by sickbay.
They could repaire the ship via an engineering team.
Power was supplied easily (voyager was outside federation space for 7 years)

In respect to the cargo hold, well, it held.
Just as we should be able to lauch shuttles from our ship (which I think they are doing soon), I think that yes we should have a significant space inside the ship for our equipment, and I'm talking about engines, shield generators, weapons, etc. A smaller one for our food, armor, ground weapons, etc.
Of course a use for our science labs (samples)

And the bank, well its gone. (except of course for fleet bank)

I really like this idea, I truly do. of course the social areas are fantastic, but they shouldn't be just there for bank access.

I like the self-sufficiancy idea, but let me just note here. Major injuries such as cumulative as well as major damage would require a visit to base.

the game would be more complex, but much more imersive. just my idea.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Quote:
That would be a good idea, The problem is that sombody with a small ship will probably argue that its not fair there being forced to have a larger ship to store more stuff.
Making the 'cargo bays' a slot like weapons or devices will solve this. It isn't the ship that determines the size of its hold...its the hold.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I agree with the OP, and actually hope that if/when crafting is added to our ships, Cryptic would also add bank (or cargo bay) access as well. While I certainly won't argue against adding a cargo bay room to our ship interiors, I figured they would just add bank access to the Engineering Lab since I would assume that's where crafting would take place. While they're at it, why not give us mail access in our Captain's Quarters as well?