Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I could write pages on this topic, but let's put it in a nutshell:

There was a time, not so long ago, when your MMO day would consist of /shouting "21 PLD LFG!!!" If you found a group, you would spend the rest of your time camping in one place, killing the same set of monsters for hours on end.

And... that's it. That's all there was to the game.

MMOs have evolved since those days, and they will continue to evolve. The grand majority of the changes have been positive ones, and this is a trend you can expect to see continue.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Let me answer this from the perspective of someone who has played through most of the content in the game as a single player. There are a number of reasons why I did that and why I continue to do that as I approach the 400 day mark.

Firstly, based on the way party mechanics work in STO, I much prefer having BOs with me on the ground, whom I can control effectively. Additionally, I've spent a lot of time getting my BOs to look and behave the way I want them to, and since ground combat is the only chance you get to use them and really see them, I don't like having that taken away.

Secondly, I simply enjoy the story a lot more playing through it alone. I don't have to worry about anyone rushing me through the dialog, either perceived or actual, and if I want to sneak around or explore or whatever, I can do that on my own. I don't have to corral party members into following my lead or anything like that. I can peruse the mission at my leisure without inconveniencing anyone.

Finally, and most importantly, an actual single player game has a limited amount of story and content. The game might be 40 or 50 or 100 hours long, but that's all there is to it, for the most part. I realize in these days of DLC that isn't strictly true any more, but it tends to be the case for the types of games I'm interested in playing, at any rate. An MMORPG doesn't have that problem; I get cool new stories added all the time, and things that I don't like about it can potentially change. It's different, and in a lot of ways, more enjoyable.

So, using that reasoning, I could go through several hours of play without even really interacting directly with anyone else. Sure, as it stands now, I have to go to ESD or some other social area to do certain things that I need to do, like change costumes or list items on the exchange, but I'm not talking to anyone in the base when I do that. I pop in, do my business, and get on my way. Anyone who is playing alone is probably doing the same thing.

So, just by forcing us to go to a social area, that doesn't mean we will socialize. And if we're not socializing, what's the difference between doing those activities on our ship interior or on the starbase? The answer is that there is none. The people who want to socialize will still go to social areas, and those who don't will not have to now. Since they weren't interacting anyway, there's no difference between whether they're there or not. In this case it's just more convenient for everyone, because those who want to keep to themselves can, and everyone has a bank/etc. nearby in case they need it. It's win/win.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquatic
So called 'social zones' have been a complete joke in MMOs for a long time now. Only a teensy-tiny minority segment of MMO players around the planet actually visit 'social zones' for the purpose of 'socializing' with random fellow players. Players are not in their characters, they are in the chat channels, where their avatars are entirely irrelavent.

Larry Everett, like everyone else at Massively, is a clueless twit.
Agreed on all points.

Part of the problem, I think, is that many developers no longer have that "game is art" mentality that made the golden age of MMOs possible. It's all about the product now and making good on investments from up top (as if games were never made without big bucks coming in from some old rich guys in a board room). What this boils down to is the consistent dumbing-down of concepts, content, and technology; developers are no longer appealing to their core demographic (those who will play a game simply because it's a game) and are trying to rake in a new audience. I call it the Wii Effect. Niche gaming is here to stay, unfortunately, because developers need to side with big companies to be competitive against casual games like WoW which appeal to large audiences willing to throw money at garbage.

So how does this translate into little socializing? When your audience is only here to play for 30 minutes or an hour, they're not likely to invest in the community because they simply don't have the time--which is exactly what makes worthwhile socializing possible--and creates a situation where social zones (even if they're there) to run dry. When a game is full of passionate players who have the tools to socialize (think mini-games and cooperative play), they will make it so.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terral
Firstly, based on the way party mechanics work in STO, I much prefer having BOs with me on the ground, whom I can control effectively. Additionally, I've spent a lot of time getting my BOs to look and behave the way I want them to, and since ground combat is the only chance you get to use them and really see them, I don't like having that taken away.
I agree. It's far easier to control your boffs than it is to try and coordinate a group of players (though that will be somewhat easier once Vivox voice chat gets added, though not all player will have it on)

Quote:
Secondly, I simply enjoy the story a lot more playing through it alone. I don't have to worry about anyone rushing me through the dialog, either perceived or actual, and if I want to sneak around or explore or whatever, I can do that on my own. I don't have to corral party members into following my lead or anything like that. I can peruse the mission at my leisure without inconveniencing anyone.
Once again, I agree. The few times I have grouped in STO. i felt like I was rushed and it just made the missions far less enjoyable for me. I like being able to play at my own pace and do as I wish.

Quote:
Finally, and most importantly, an actual single player game has a limited amount of story and content. The game might be 40 or 50 or 100 hours long, but that's all there is to it, for the most part. I realize in these days of DLC that isn't strictly true any more, but it tends to be the case for the types of games I'm interested in playing, at any rate. An MMORPG doesn't have that problem; I get cool new stories added all the time, and things that I don't like about it can potentially change. It's different, and in a lot of ways, more enjoyable

I agree once again. Sometimes I'll here core MMO players antagonize those that solo, and ask them why the don't just go and play a singleplayer game. This right here is the reason. Singleplayer games just don't give you a lot of content. Many have storylines that only last 10-30 hours, and even the longest ones max out at 80 or so. I like having a staple game, something that I can come back to and know I always have content to play while i await new console releases.

I really feel like the devs should be concentrating on making this a good Star Trek game, instead of just a Star Trek mmo. More singleplayer options, more singleplayer features (voice where possible for instance) more tools for making the game feel more comfortable for console players (power wheel tech for controllers as they are nearly impossible to map properly and still be effective right now).

Quote:
So, using that reasoning, I could go through several hours of play without even really interacting directly with anyone else. Sure, as it stands now, I have to go to ESD or some other social area to do certain things that I need to do, like change costumes or list items on the exchange, but I'm not talking to anyone in the base when I do that. I pop in, do my business, and get on my way. Anyone who is playing alone is probably doing the same thing.
It's the same for me. I have very little need for socializing on ESD.

Quote:
So, just by forcing us to go to a social area, that doesn't mean we will socialize. And if we're not socializing, what's the difference between doing those activities on our ship interior or on the starbase? The answer is that there is none. The people who want to socialize will still go to social areas, and those who don't will not have to now. Since they weren't interacting anyway, there's no difference between whether they're there or not. In this case it's just more convenient for everyone, because those who want to keep to themselves can, and everyone has a bank/etc. nearby in case they need it. It's win/win.
I agree.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-03-2011, 09:17 PM
The one thing I'll say in favor of having some reasons to go to ESD or Memory Alpha is that they are great places for people watching (or toon watching, as it were). I like seeing all the crazy aliens people come up with, even if the hordes of big-headed pitch black midgets and seven-foot-tall Darth Maul clones do get a little old. These common grounds are really the only places in the game for toons to see and be seen. And as mentioned above, people often put an awful lot of effort into their toon's appearance; much more so than their ships. Other than ESD or MA, the only place most people's toons would get trotted out would be in an STF or the odd ground combat Fleet Action (like anyone actually does those). The rest of the time it's just you staring at the backside of it while it runs laps around yet another empty grey warehouse in B'Tran.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
The one thing I'll say in favor of having some reasons to go to ESD or Memory Alpha is that they are great places for people watching (or toon watching, as it were). I like seeing all the crazy aliens people come up with, even if the hordes of big-headed pitch black midgets and seven-foot-tall Darth Maul clones do get a little old. These common grounds are really the only places in the game for toons to see and be seen. And as mentioned above, people often put an awful lot of effort into their toon's appearance; much more so than their ships. Other than ESD or MA, the only place most people's toons would get trotted out would be in an STF or the odd ground combat Fleet Action (like anyone actually does those). The rest of the time it's just you staring at the backside of it while it runs laps around yet another empty grey warehouse in B'Tran.
That's why I think the key to improving social zones without forcing players to go there to do game essentials is a good idea. There would still be plenty of reasons to go to social zones, like putting stuff on the exchange, switching out ships, requistioning new equipment, alien watching, and of course, social dance parties in Club 47. All they need to do, in addition to those, to insure players go to social zones often is add more Minigames to bases like ESD, DS9, and Drozana and add the upcomming Open PvP arenas to the rest of the social zones.

Then players can do more of the essentials on their ship when they're in a hurry and social zones will still be almost as busy as ever (Some may argue that they're too busy now. I for one find ESD too busy most of the time anymore. It kind of kills immersion when you have 40 or so people in a zone that size).
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-03-2011, 09:40 PM
I really do not care so much for the "massive" social aspects of MMO's. It is nice that they are there but it is not (to me) a big reason as to why I play any MMO. I play most games simply so I can play with real life friends and/or family. Meeting people online and calling them "friends" just goes against what I believe is the definition of a friend. Not that I don't do it but I don't generally make life long relations with people I never see nor ever interact with in real life.

But again, putting too much emphasis on social areas in MMO's just seems like a waste. I would much rather have a lot of stuff to do with those I play with. There is little reason for me to go to Risa other then to look around. I want to go on missions and do the things that a Captian would be found doing but only with my RL friends. Not sit around some "social area" just shooting the breeze.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
That's why I think the key to improving social zones without forcing players to go there to do game essentials is a good idea. There would still be plenty of reasons to go to social zones, like putting stuff on the exchange, switching out ships, requistioning new equipment, alien watching, and of course, social dance parties in Club 47. All they need to do, in addition to those, to insure players go to social zones often is add more Minigames to bases like ESD, DS9, and Drozana and add the upcomming Open PvP arenas to the rest of the social zones.
I want a mini-game where I can "bet" a data sample and "win" a random sample of any tier, or a rare trace of a random type every ten or twenty spins.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
I want a mini-game where I can "bet" a data sample and "win" a random sample of any tier, or a rare trace of a random type every five or ten spins.
You know, I seem to recall hearing that ThomastheCrypticCat is working on some kind of crafting mini-game, though no details were given. I think it was crafting anyways. *goes off to search*
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
You know, I seem to recall hearing that ThomastheCrypticCat is working on some kind of crafting mini-game, though no details were given. I think it was crafting anyways. *goes off to search*
Nevermind, it's an exploration based mini-game, not a crafting one.