Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-03-2011, 10:04 PM
MMOs are largely stuck in the same kind of games because of technology and internet speeds.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-03-2011, 10:06 PM
I have seen social hubs in their full glory then emptied due to design changes. I support social hubs until the end of time, for without them, the game turns into a very narrow place. You end up with a multiplayer experience, if you bother to team at all. Forget the massive part. Why pay a monthly fee at all, when you can connect and team for free in more restricted/limited environments.

---
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Ship-board crafting should be limited to creating schematics, but actually formulating those schematics should be done at Memory Alpha. I agree whole-heartedly that Memory Alpha is a very unique aspect to the game and should stay exactly how it is.

But going to Earth Space Dock or Deep Space 9 is a beating in my opinion. I am fond of role-playing, so I frequent DS9#1 a lot and spend plenty of time at Quark's taking part in a little RP as often as I can, but being forced to return to a space dock to try out the new uniform I just bought on the C-Store is a little odd, considering I can replicate 20 Self-Sealing Stem Bolts for an Aid the Planet mission, but I can't replicate a uniform alteration.

I say, keep changing/customising your ships at major Social Hubs, make it so that major ship repairs have to be done at a dock, but the remainder of the functions can be taken care of on our ships.

I get enough social aspect out of the game because I belong to an awesome fleet, which has become so closely-knit that we even founded a chapter in STARFLEET International. But having to constantly dock to take care of 99% of things that we've seen done on the ships in every Star Trek show is a bit of an "immersion-breaker" to me.

You can't force social interaction. It has to be natural and grow organically.

Think of it this way: For those who want to keep the social hubs "strictly for socialization", sometimes RP gets disrupted by trolls. If the trolls don't need to be at the station, they won't be there to wreak havoc on those using the social hubs for their primary purpose.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-03-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm not an MMO player. I've only played STO for 2 months and have only engaged a couple of times in chat with other players. Perhaps I still have much to learn, but I tend to think it's just not my genre.

Therefore, of course, I think it'd be fine to have more content away from the social hubs. However I do understand that there is a risk of ruining MMO aspects of the game.

What I think we need are ideas for more immersive content that won't detract too much from the MMO experience.

You can have crafting on your ship, but only limited to certain things. Ship components for example could be off limits. They're extremely large and can only be manufactured at shipyards or at memory alpha. Perhaps introduce a new rare type of item exclusive to memory alpha. Perhaps the quantity of resources required to fabricate items is greater on your ship.

Ship holodecks could be added to include mini games and combat simulations where you can invite friends and fleet members. Anyone up for the Kobayashi-Maru?

Just some suggestions.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-03-2011, 10:53 PM
If a 'social zone' doesn't bring anyone to it except people who have to be there for the purpose of accessing services, then it has failed to actually be a social zone.

People who actually want to interact with others will seek it out. The places where this actually happens are generally devoid or almost entirely so of services, places that are actually modeled after familiar places of socialization. Trying to randomly socialize in service areas feels a lot like trying to start a conversation in an elevator instead of quietly staring at the numbers.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Social Zones for the most part allow griefing.

How many times have you been trying to use the Exchange or Bank and someone just keeps spamming BTD or Fire Extinguisher or the new Party Poofer at you.

You can't even have a peaceful meeting with your Fleet most times.

Put ALL the stuff on the ships and let the griefers overrun and spam each other in the "social areas."
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonium View Post
I have to say that I would be very sorry to see crafting added to our ship interiors. Memory Alpha stands as an utterly unique location in the game. It's beautifully designed and it brings together players from across the galaxy for a single purpose. While there, players connect with one another in order to trade or exchange data samples and items. If you need something, a missing data sample for your current crafting project, you can often find someone willing to help you out. The instant crafting is added to our interiors, Memory Alpha will be rendered obsolete.

Honestly, the ramifications of Memory Alpha's potential obsolescence have me concerned about alterations to each of the game mechanics noted here. Social zones are important to the game, and there's a lot of fun to be had in them. People do socialize in social zones, and new players are opening themselves up to other players there all the time. If functions are to be removed from them, new functions must be devised to take their place.
In the crafting proposal I came up with last year (long before our last crafting 'revamp'), I had suggested crafting on our ships via our replicators, but I also had a provision to keep Memory Alpha relevant:
====================================
Keeping Memory Alpha relevant

A lot of work has been put into making Memory Alpha, and it should remain relevant. However, Memory Alpha should be a research center, not a manufacturing factory. In order to reinforce this idea:
  • Use Memory Alpha to get uncommon and rarer quality recipes, and special item unlocks (costume pieces, ship parts, cosmetic unlocks)
  • to learn the recipes, you still use the anomalies
  • learning recipes does not require the base item, only the anomalies
    • the recipe itself may require a base item to make the object, but it doesn’t require a base item to install the recipe in your replicator
    • the uncommon or rarer recipe still uses anomalies as well
  • with the introduction of the injury system, add recipes for minor and major regenerators and components
========================================

Now keep in mind, that was long before we had our current system of crafting, and before we had schematics. However, some of the basic ideas could still stand. Use Memory Alpha as a place to go to unlock new schematics/recipes (method can be determined later). In addition, Memory Alpha has a library built in!!! This would be a great area to place various help subjects/lore data that we could go and access.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
If a 'social zone' doesn't bring anyone to it except people who have to be there for the purpose of accessing services, then it has failed to actually be a social zone.

People who actually want to interact with others will seek it out. The places where this actually happens are generally devoid or almost entirely so of services, places that are actually modeled after familiar places of socialization. Trying to randomly socialize in service areas feels a lot like trying to start a conversation in an elevator instead of quietly staring at the numbers.
QFT.

I don't go to Memory Alpha to talk, I go to craft (because I have to) and sometimes gawk. If I see a particularly good costume, I'll say so - but mostly I just see people who haven't even bothered to disable visuals on their armor, and far too many Na'vi, just like any starbase. :p

Having to go to one place to craft is a chore, and means I usually only go there at the very end of the night, craft what I can, and log out right away. I've been looking forward to the convenience of being able to do it anywhere - at the very least, please put crafting tables at all the starbases?
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-04-2011, 12:09 AM
This all rattles down to the aspect within the mmorpg's themselves, its well known that wow is a themepark mmorpg and it excels in that aspect via tiered raids, tiered instances etc and upon release pvp was a part of the game but it was never an intregal part of the game for advancment in the thempark area of the game.

Swg pre cu was a social mmorpg and it exceled in that via social interaction and the classes you could be and a very indepth crafting system that no game has since been able to get near, player created towns and citys with its own twist on ingame policy within the game that effected real time things that you did. it had instances but it never was the prime aspect of the game. infact in swg pre cu it was neccesery to be in the social aspect of the game after pve due to how a char interacted with the world and took damage and actually got tired from playing.

And this is gonna be a bad example but i cant think of another, warhammer online was a pvp mmorpg, its main role was fighting and claiming areas of the other faction, with the end result being attacking one of the other factions main citys.

Now this is were sto falls over a bit. the best way i can put it is like this, its a jack of all trades and a master of none. it has one side that on release was a moster faction and another side that was heavily pve orientated, its leveling out now but its still very biased. sto has no real themepark things in it when it comes to instance and raids. there is no big pay off reward for doing things like stfs, even with kitted out with the best gear you arnt a million miles away from peeps who never even looked at them. crafting is getting there but it has no real tangable aspect to it.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-04-2011, 12:16 AM
I play STO because it's Star Trek, not because it's an MMO.

Is an instanced game really massively multiplayer? Any single instance of a social zone is capped at 65 or 75; the only place massive could apply is in chat: zone, fleet, and custom. IRL, breaking down geographical boundaries creates vast social networks; I doubt creating them in games has much of a socially-beneficial effect.