Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
I know there was thread a while ago asbout this but I can't seem to find it anymore, but I thought it was a very interesting topic. That was how to make certain things make sense and convenient in game without ruining the social aspect of the game. I have a few suggestions of how this could be fixed and a lot of it has to do with crafting so i'll begin with that.

So a part of the problem is that people want extra functionality for the interiors and by people, I mean everybody including myself. Some suggestions I've been seeing is allowing players to craft in their ship interiors which would render the point of going to Memory alpha useless. Personally I think we should be able to only craft the mark we currently have on our ships in our ship. Think of it as upgrading the device rather than replacing it, if you have uncommon mark VII phaser beams, you can only craft white, green, blue, purple MK VII phaser beams.

I suggest this because I just find it unrealistic that your crew/captain is just building all of these massive devices on the ship, but I can see them upgrading the current equipment on the ship. Think of the rarity of the item (common, uncommon, rare, very rare) as being that same device, just upgraded, while the different marks (I-XII) and types (phaser, tetryon, etc) as being completely different things.

However, I have an alternate proposal where you can craft all of these different items, just not certain ones that would be unrealistic to build on a ship - You could craft any console of any mark of any rarity, but you wont be able to build impulse engines (maybe even combine the two where you can upgrade green impulse engines to blue, but not of different marks).

The next part of my post deals with exploration and how I think it might make it less useful for players to go back to ESD. I'm cool with endless exploration, in fact, I'm looking forward to it, but I think it's going to make STO less sociable. I suggest we revamp the injury system so that it applies to all difficulties settings (just listen to me for a second on this one) and if you reach "critical" injuries you have to take your ship back to ESD to get it repaired. I'm not saying if you die once you get injuries, but your ship gradually develops injuries. Whatever difficulty setting you have it on determines how fast you get injuries. For example...

Normal
Die 5 times - Minor injury
Die 9 times - Major injury
Die 12 times - Critical injury

Hard
Die 3 times - Minor injury
Die 6 times - Major injury
Die 9 times - Critical injury

Elite
Die 1 times - Minor injury
Die 4 times - Major injury
Die 7 times - Critical injury

You could still purchase, find, and even craft components to fix certain injuries to avoid reaching critical injury, and critical injuries can only be healed at ESD.

Edit: I don't think this injury system proposal should apply to the injuries you have on ground combat,. I think you or your BO's should be able to just go to sick bay to get healed.

Anyways, tell me what you guys think.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Any mandatory death penalty should come after or around when we get the ability to at least remove minor and major ones on ships (and critical ones at stations).
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Any mandatory death penalty should come after or around when we get the ability to at least remove minor and major ones on ships (and critical ones at stations).
Definitely, maybe even make it a minigame rather than using the components to heal our BO's or ship, the more serious the injury the more difficult it becomes to fix. In fact, with ship injuries I think it would be cool to see some sparks and stuff in whatever area in the ship it is, if you have several injuries in different parts of the ship then that means you'd have to do some running around in your interior.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_484
Definitely, maybe even make it a minigame rather than using the components to heal our BO's or ship, the more serious the injury the more difficult it becomes to fix. In fact, with ship injuries I think it would be cool to see some sparks and stuff in whatever area in the ship it is, if you have several injuries in different parts of the ship then that means you'd have to do some running around in your interior.
Minigames are preferable of course. I wish these were confirmed for Season 4 (maybe just minor ones are ship only).