Lt. Commander
# 21
03-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
You could have a Starfleet Ship with no Federation BOffs on it. It's also assumed that these characters become members of the Federation before joining.

Wasn't most of Sisko's crew non-starfleet: Odo, Kira, etc.?
Oda and Kira were the only non-Federation members of his senior staff. I don't think they ever said how many of the stations crew was Starfleet and how many were Bajoran Militia. Although it would be accurate to say that better than half of Sisko's crew was non-human. Of the 8 members of the senior staff (including Nog) only 3 were human (including Sisko). Originally you did not have to be a Federation citizen to join Starfleet, ie Nog. You only needed a letter of recommendation of a command-level officer. However, in the STO timeline that has changed.
I agree it would be cool to have a diverse, all non-human crew.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringram View Post
Oda and Kira were the only non-Federation members of his senior staff. I don't think they ever said how many of the stations crew was Starfleet and how many were Bajoran Militia. Although it would be accurate to say that better than half of Sisko's crew was non-human. Of the 8 members of the senior staff (including Nog) only 3 were human (including Sisko). Originally you did not have to be a Federation citizen to join Starfleet, ie Nog. You only needed a letter of recommendation of a command-level officer. However, in the STO timeline that has changed.
I agree it would be cool to have a diverse, all non-human crew.
His XO was non-starfleet and she was in temporary command of the station frequently (and his security chief, the keeper of the gates, was non-starfleet).

Technically, Dax was also non-stafleet despite Ezri and Jadzia being members. Wasn't Rom also non-starfleet but worked for Miles on the engineering team?
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-05-2011, 03:03 AM
o wow great plan, make a fed ship with absolutely no fed crew, your prob one of those guys flying in hidious abominations equipped with reman shields and every other none-fed tech you can find, just to kick the whole image of unity in the balls. Thank you sir.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-05-2011, 05:24 AM
Quote:
The Quote is actually "... was anyone on that ship working for me?"
It's Chakotay from "State of Flux", Voyager Season 1, Episode 11.

Edited to add: oops. Didn't see the last post.
I know. I slightly changed to make it a thread title.

But hell, we are on track to having the only humans on board being the NPCs.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
His XO was non-starfleet and she was in temporary command of the station frequently (and his security chief, the keeper of the gates, was non-starfleet).

Technically, Dax was also non-stafleet despite Ezri and Jadzia being members. Wasn't Rom also non-starfleet but worked for Miles on the engineering team?
If you mean that the Dax symbiont wasn't in Starfleet, I suppose one could say that. Although that's kinda splitting hairs because the symbiont doesn't have a seperate identity from the host. Once they're blended they are one in the same. Yes, in season 4 Rom joined the Bajoran Militia and was part of the Engineering team. I didn't count Rom in my last post because I was referring to the senior staff.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
Am I the only one that thinks the officer exchange program in a time of war is really stupid. Especially when you are bringing enemy officers to serve on your ship.

I mean couldn't they have come up with a better explanation. Like colonies that didn't go back to the old Klingon ways. Or Gorn that wanted to fight against the Klingons that conquered them.
The explanation when you get them is basically that the Gorn, Orions, and Nausicaans are sending officers to Starfleet because they don't want to be at war with the Federation and they're trying to get out from under Klingon rule. It's a show of good faith to encourage the Federation to liberate them.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Quote:
If you mean that the Dax symbiont wasn't in Starfleet, I suppose one could say that. Although that's kinda splitting hairs because the symbiont doesn't have a seperate identity from the host. Once they're blended they are one in the same. Yes, in season 4 Rom joined the Bajoran Militia and was part of the Engineering team. I didn't count Rom in my last post because I was referring to the senior staff.
I think his point is that Trill is not a Federation world.
Lt. Commander
# 28 Heh, the full quote was....
03-05-2011, 02:01 PM
"She was working for them, you were working for her, was anyone on that ship working for me?" I do love that line.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Which is itself not a definite statement of fact. There are numerous on-screen statements and such which point in either direction. Generally DS9 portayed them as Federation members, while a singular TNG episode implied otherwise.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
As far as I know it is. I don't recall them ever saying on screen that it wasn't and in at least of of the books a Trill is President of the Federation.