Lt. Commander
# 1 The "Good Ole Days"
03-02-2011, 07:59 PM
So, today, I was leveling my newest alt, playing Starbase 24 and I was hit my the most interesting emotion.

Nostalgia.
For the Open Beta days of STO.

The older interface, the "newness" of it. I thought about those first few hours and days of gameplay. The magic of it, piloting my own starship. Seeing all these crazy creatures and new environments. Seing a massive fleet surrounding the Starbase. And all the different, new loot from drops, what were these new things?

And then i thought about all the other problems, and they made me laugh!

Remember the constant servers going down. Getting yourself hunkered down for the exact moment open beta would start.

And who could forget beaming down to Vega Colony with like 80 other officers all trying to figure out how to get a phaser rifle. Trying to find that box.

In some ways, I still have fond memories from back when STO started and even before, when it was all hype and anticipation. It really makes me appreciate where the game is today.

Any old veterans out there? Why don't you share some of your favorite memories?

And to all the newer players, laugh at our old "war" stories.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-02-2011, 08:29 PM
I really miss the GOLD mouse pointer. I find myself wishing they would bring that back, sometimes in the heat of battle I lose track of my pointer, and having the gold one back would alleviate that annoyance.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard454 View Post
I really miss the GOLD mouse pointer. I find myself wishing they would bring that back, sometimes in the heat of battle I lose track of my pointer, and having the gold one back would alleviate that annoyance.
That was a detail that escaped me. When did they change the pointer?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
That was a detail that escaped me. When did they change the pointer?
It was there in Open Beta, but when the game went live, it was with the Dark one that we have now.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Quote:
It was there in Open Beta, but when the game went live, it was with the Dark one that we have now.
It's fixable, client side. Not claiming I do.

Like any other game I started with, I miss the "new game smell", first time doing it, some bugs, the WTH am I supposed to be doing?. Above all I miss the "wow, that was cool! I didn't expect the Doomsday weapon!"

The new featured episodes bring a lot of that back at times.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Quote:
So long ago I don't recall. I feel like an old war vet struggling to recall something from so long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maina View Post
It's fixable, client side. Not claiming I do.

Like any other game I started with, I miss the "new game smell", first time doing it, some bugs, the WTH am I supposed to be doing?. Above all I miss the "wow, that was cool! I didn't expect the Doomsday weapon!"

The new featured episodes bring a lot of that back at times.
I know what you mean, Stahl has certainly been able to capture some of that magic again.

I wonder if any of the Dev's or Closed Beta testers have some awesome stories and cherished memories from the beginning? Dev's, you should chime in, I'd love to hear Stahl say stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-02-2011, 08:59 PM
I remember flying my reliant on the inside of earth spae dock...and I remember Running in Sector Space. those were fun times. If only I could have ran into a DSE and shot phasers out of my rear!
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-02-2011, 09:00 PM
I will admit I miss my pink phasers as well....:p
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam062307 View Post
I remember flying my reliant on the inside of earth spae dock...and I remember Running in Sector Space. those were fun times. If only I could have ran into a DSE and shot phasers out of my rear!
I remember that too! In fact, today I was working on a foundry mission and I beamed into the Ready Room to set up a computer console and I beamed in as the Reliant.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-02-2011, 09:13 PM
I remember (and secretly sometimes miss) falling through the "floor" of sector space EVERY single time you zoned into it! Also, I loved leveling my first character because I didn't know what any of the missions were or how do to them properly...it was both very fun and very frustrating!