Lt. Commander
# 21
03-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
it has been over 40 years and she is now the Empress of the Romulan Empire, perhaps she is different?
If that's the case then unlike most people, she's done the opposite of growing wiser and more careful.
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-05-2011, 02:02 PM
After just watching Nemesis, I can actually understand why Sela came but in a scimitar. Those things have double shields, extensive cloaking, 50 phaser banks, etc....

She was most likely not expecting starfleet. Notice how the IRW Scimitar in the movie ripped through the two Romulan ships in a minute? She alone would've wiped out Obisek's ship and the others.

In fact she may have if it wasn't for the Iconians intervening.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
If that's the case then unlike most people, she's done the opposite of growing wiser and more careful.
Or the sudden change in the predicament of the Empire has changed and she has become more aggressive.

By the way, considering how differently Vulcans/Romulans age and the completely different lifestyle, perhaps she has behavioral changes differently.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
She watched the entire thing and only stepped in when Haakev failed.

The fact she was clever enough to watch plays into her MO of manipulative but not hands-off, orders-only.
When the Romulan fleet was discovered by Picard, she ordered a hasty retreat, cloaked and sneaking away.

When The Romulan plot to overthrow Vulcan was foiled, she ordered the Vulcan ships with Romulan troops destroyed(from the safety and security of Romulus) and abandoned her plans.

In neither instance did she fly in with disruptors blazing when her plans went to hell. She gave up and snuck away like a true Romulan does.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-05-2011, 02:07 PM
A fine example of Sela being hands off and working through intermediaries so as not to be tied back to anything.
  • She supervised Geordi's brainwashing personally in "Mind's Eye".
  • She takes Spock, Data, and Picard aboard her own ship - cause when I hide, I do so with high-level diplomats, captains of flagships, and positronic entities that would ping high on any ship's sensors - "Unification II"
None of this will go back to be linked to her in any way. Nope. Never.

She's manipulative but she comes out of the shadows frequently and operates with so few intermediaries (which make sense considering how backstabbing the RSE is) that she is linked to things directly.

She's a walking hubris. With all the power at her disposal, why should the player's ship been a match?
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Quote:
When the Romulan fleet was discovered by Picard, she ordered a hasty retreat, cloaked and sneaking away.

When The Romulan plot to overthrow Vulcan was foiled, she ordered the Vulcan ships with Romulan troops destroyed(from the safety and security of Romulus) and abandoned her plans.

In neither instance did she fly in with disruptors blazing when her plans went to hell. She gave up and snuck away like a true Romulan does.
So, only two appearances, 40 years before this, when she had a completely different position in a very different Empire is the reasoning.

I respect your opinion, but I'll bet that after all that happened, she might have changed.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
A fine example of Sela being hands off and working through intermediaries so as not to be tied back to anything.
  • She supervised Geordi's brainwashing personally in "Mind's Eye".
  • She takes Spock, Data, and Picard aboard her own ship - cause when I hide, I do so with high-level diplomats, captains of flagships, and positronic entities that would ping high on any ship's sensors - "Unification II"

None of this will go back to be linked to her in any way. Nope. Never.

She's manipulative but she comes out of the shadows frequently and operates with so few intermediaries (which make sense considering how backstabbing the RSE is) that she is linked to things directly.
We're talking about two different things. Read my above post. Sela never rushes in, guns blazing. Never.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-05-2011, 02:09 PM
What I do not understand is, why didn't she take whole flotilla with her? Just one unprotected dreadnought ship? That is silly.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Quote:
We're talking about two different things. Read my above post. Sela never rushes in, guns blazing. Never.
And she didn't in the mission. She waited until people failed before moving in.

I'm not sure how being cloaked for the majority of episode means that she was "guns blazing"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarsightFrostwhisper
What I do not understand is, why didn't she take whole flotilla with her? Just one unprotected dreadnought ship? That is silly.
She let the defenses softent the player before the mission began and waited until after many were defeated before striking.

She essentially had a fleet with her - only stepping in personally when they failed.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-05-2011, 02:11 PM
IT IS A MYSTERY!

I guess the only way you would ever know would be to ask her yourself.