Lt. Commander
# 21
03-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
I think perhaps one torp would do just as good as three... perhaps remove two of them and then put in the minimum safe distance? Or just have us run back inside the building?

Oh and thanks for responding! I totally wasnt expecting a response. lol
Nobody's really (canonically) sure how tough Iconian gateways are; in TNG: "Contagion," Picard destroys the Iconian probe facility by using its own launch mechanism. In DS9: "To the Death," O'Brien uses a series of explosives especially brought along for the job (and with back-up chemical detonators, thank goodness!).

Anyway, changing the FX would be a job for the FX artist, which is not me. And FX time is precious. But changing the mission logic to have a "Reach Minimum Safe Distance" objective is in my bailiwick, so mebbe if I have the time.
Lt. Commander
# 22 lots of fun
03-05-2011, 03:08 PM
The mission had many great aspects the orbital bombardments were great so was the fight with the scorpion and the exploding rooftop ship to take out the romulans. So much fun thanks!

One small thing is the boss battle had my backup and the boss jumping all over and bugging out a bit It took away from the great mission. Once that is fixed it will truly be one of the greats in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinig View Post
Nobody's really (canonically) sure how tough Iconian gateways are; in TNG: "Contagion," Picard destroys the Iconian probe facility by using its own launch mechanism. In DS9: "To the Death," O'Brien uses a series of explosives especially brought along for the job (and with back-up chemical detonators, thank goodness!).

Anyway, changing the FX would be a job for the FX artist, which is not me. And FX time is precious. But changing the mission logic to have a "Reach Minimum Safe Distance" objective is in my bailiwick, so mebbe if I have the time.
Well in "To the Death" they did think first of using Quantum Torpedoes, but the reason they had to go down on foot is because the gate was housed in a structure of solid Neutronium, which may or may not have destroyed the gate and structure.
They went down so they could be 100% sure it was destroyed.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Reading these posts and seeing that the DEV's are actually listening and willing to change things is what amazes me about Cryptic. So many other studios put out a product and never listen to the fans and pretend that everything is ok. So I think it's this dedication that makes STO such a great game.
I'm sure we all look forward to the changes.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-05-2011, 06:21 PM
I was a bit disappointed at first at the light story until I beamed up after the gate exploded and we were greeted with a "continue", then what appeared to be just a tossed in space battle because someone asked for more space battles last week... but then there was the conclusion, and it made the entire episode, even made up for the extremely crappy rewards. Though I wish I could sell the junk on the exchange but it won't even let me do that, but at least the story turned out to be very good there at the very end. So big thumbs up to Kestrel for the story, it made up for all the glitches in part 2 and part 5 and poor and unsellable rewards in part 5.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Quote:

Yeah, that's the one bit that kinda bugged me. I'm 30 feet from a gateway and call for multiple photorps to strike it. Each of them releases as much energy as a 64 megaton nuke. Man, those personal shields are strong.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-05-2011, 07:33 PM
The mission in iteself.....good.

But cloaking tractor beam mines???

And the noose around PvP's neck has gotten tighter.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
Yeah, that's the one bit that kinda bugged me. I'm 30 feet from a gateway and call for multiple photorps to strike it. Each of them releases as much energy as a 64 megaton nuke. Man, those personal shields are strong.
I could be wrong, but didn't the Enterprise-A bomb God with photon torpedoes while Kirk, Spock and McCoy were only a few meters away?
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Quote:
The setup for bombing the Iconian gate was almost literally done at the last minute. It was one of the last pieces of the mission architecture. There was a brief discussion of putting in a "reach minimum safe distance" objective but there simply was no time. I might go back and do that later if I have a free day.

EDIT: Also, I iterated on a version where you beamed out at the beginning of the cutscene and then the torpedoes came down. Unfortunately it was badly broken because if you were on a team, it would then wait for the team confirmation box, which you could cancel, which would leave you on the map in a bad state.
If you can it later at some point, please do add a 'minimum safe distace' aspect in some way. Even I had to laugh as parts of the gate came down on top of me before the dialog box to beam out popped up. I know it's a game, but overall, the stoy was well done, and this one thing starined credibility; even for your average Star Trek episode imo.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
THE Only problem I had with the mission was more of a realism issue. At the end when you are nuking the Iconian gate. Youre standing OUTSIDE when the torpedos hit the gate. Three of them no less. lol As I understand it photon torps are basically nukes on steroids.... my captain wouldnt be alive to see the results if shes standing outside when they hit.

Please fix this so that she runs back inside please.

Also please make it so that the tractor beam mines cant be sold to the replicator.

Thanks. 10 tribbles in rating for this series!
One of my favorite Trek scenes is in Arena when Kirk is going to fire a Photon mortar. The targe is like a kilometer away and his redshirt sidekick says "isn't that a bit close for one of those"?