Lt. Commander
# 41
03-07-2011, 08:12 AM
This was an awesome mission. It was fast and intense (possibly to compliment the slow walk throug hthe desert last mission).

I also had the issue with Hakeev's guards jumping on top of buildings and thus was unable to complete the mission. Why was this super jump even added to the mission?
Lt. Commander
# 42
03-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Murder spree? are you serious?
There was no murder in the entire mission, unless you think that all the star trek series are littered with murder also.
You must be playing STO with your eyes closed.

The majority of ground missions are 'go here, kill this dead x times and then leave' . A sizable amount of the new episodes are like this to some extent, including the last one where you could indeed pick up alot of aggro from random mook spawns.

Sure, it's less of an issue in the new episodes, but it's still a problem none-the-less.
Lt. Commander
# 43
03-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Notably, a lot of our featured episodes are moving away from "defeat X groups," although that will still show up from time to time -- especially when your overall goal requires you to push enemy forces out of an area (like the Breen invading Defera) or to break through enemy lines and land in a hot zone (as in "Cutting the Cord"). You may notice going forward that many of our mission objectives are changing from "Defeat X Enemies" to achieving some other goal, and defeating enemies along the way may be incidental to that goal.
For instance, in "Cutting the Cord," you are not actually required to engage and defeat ANY of the enemies on the ground map, except for Hakeev and his guards. They do, however, have a tendency to get in your way, and some of them will target you and shoot at you, but you can always choose to run away, use a stealth module or smoke grenade, deploy cover shields, etc. How you choose to deal with them is up to you -- this is why your objective tracker during CtC never says "Defeat Romulan Guards Near the Data Center" or "Overcome the Romulans Who Beamed In At Your Location."
Getting used to this may take some time, since a lot of the older patrol and exploration missions are based around fighting specific groups; thus, players are already expecting to have to fight their way through encounters. And, as noted, we will still sometimes have goals that require you to engage in combat (especially if you eschew Diplomacy). But keep your eyes on your mission objective tracker -- you may be surprised at some cases where you can avoid combat altogether (or choose not to engage people who are shooting at you while instead pursuing your own objectives).
Lt. Commander
# 44
03-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinig View Post
Notably, a lot of our featured episodes are moving away from "defeat X groups," although that will still show up from time to time -- especially when your overall goal requires you to push enemy forces out of an area (like the Breen invading Defera) or to break through enemy lines and land in a hot zone (as in "Cutting the Cord"). You may notice going forward that many of our mission objectives are changing from "Defeat X Enemies" to achieving some other goal, and defeating enemies along the way may be incidental to that goal.
For instance, in "Cutting the Cord," you are not actually required to engage and defeat ANY of the enemies on the ground map, except for Hakeev and his guards. They do, however, have a tendency to get in your way, and some of them will target you and shoot at you, but you can always choose to run away, use a stealth module or smoke grenade, deploy cover shields, etc. How you choose to deal with them is up to you -- this is why your objective tracker during CtC never says "Defeat Romulan Guards Near the Data Center" or "Overcome the Romulans Who Beamed In At Your Location."
Getting used to this may take some time, since a lot of the older patrol and exploration missions are based around fighting specific groups; thus, players are already expecting to have to fight their way through encounters. And, as noted, we will still sometimes have goals that require you to engage in combat (especially if you eschew Diplomacy). But keep your eyes on your mission objective tracker -- you may be surprised at some cases where you can avoid combat altogether (or choose not to engage people who are shooting at you while instead pursuing your own objectives).
And this makes these episodes really top notch
Lt. Commander
# 45
03-07-2011, 05:10 PM
I enjoyed this FE as I have the others in the past. The FE's just seem to get better in quality of graphics and story lines. The only problem I have with receiving BOFFs as rewards is the fact I can't chose the gender of said officers. This is sad when trying to build a full female bridge crew. But hey it's nice to get a special reward officer. I look forward to the next series of FE and hope they just keep improving, and hey Cryptic if other bridge officers are rewards let us have an option of chosing gender.
Lt. Commander
# 46
03-07-2011, 05:24 PM
It was great, too many bugs though.. how do these things get out of the test server like this ? honestly ???

Super badies that leap tall buildings.. if more than 1 person calls in the orbital strike on the gate you have to sit through the cut scene like 3 times, fair enough bending over only the eng's with only a short time to get the acco, but at least warn em somehow, why make just the eng's have to repeat it if someone doesnt tell em.. etc etc

Still a very good story line though, if only they spent as much time fixing all the existing bugs like Tera, KA etc etc etc

Was worth all that for the cloaking tractor mines.. they are awesome ! wont be long till they are nerfed to shreds though I bet
Lt. Commander
# 47
03-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinig View Post
as a person who's played a while, I'd like to inform the dev's the whole lack of kill X of Y, went unnoticed by me, as in I was so deeply caught up in my surroundings and what was going on, i didn't notice the lack of it. I think, this FE, was great, and in particular, this episode, was just awesome.

Edit, to clarify not having the kill X of Y, was great, and over all, i didn't notice due to everything else.
Lt. Commander
# 48
03-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithaw
The last mission in the arc felt like one big excercise in Murder. The story in the last mission felt patchy and rushed to the point where it was almost non existant in parts. I can understand that the devs are frequently rushing to get these episodes written and out on scedule but when it results in lower quality than the rest of the arc, I would think it better to delay a day and get polish added than rush it out the door.

When compared with the other missions in the Romulan arc, I felt that the finale was a bit lacking in story other than 'Murderize Hakeev'. Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed every part of this mission, even the ground combat, I just feel like it could have been a bit more polished.

While I know it's a small hope, I'd love if the early story content for STO could have 'Ground Combat - With Options' rather than just murdering tons of dudes.

Also? SWORDS! YEAH!

I approve, despite it's flaws.
Murder? Really? I cannot think of a single instance in Star Trek Online where player characters can commit murder. Killing in war, or in self defence or defence of innocents, yes, but murder? Nope.

Even that Federation mission where [Spoilers] you are tricked by the Undine impersonating a Starfleet admiral into attacking a non-military Romulan science facility, if I recall correctly, [/Spoilers] that is a case of a soldier following orders that they think are just, later to discover that they are not. The responsibility does not lie with the player character.
Lt. Commander
# 49
03-08-2011, 12:37 PM
and a other great episode this one rocks ..great work
Lt. Commander
# 50
03-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Am I the only one who's creating a new character named 'Little Spy'?