Lt. Commander
# 1 Put Scotty in game!
03-05-2011, 02:48 PM
I've been on a kick about this lately but James Doohan's birthday last week got me thinking about this again.

Scotty is only a few years older than Picard, biologically, thanks to his transporter incident. He'd be about 112. For reference, McCoy was 136 in the TNG pilot and lived many years after that according to the books. The novels, even pre-Destiny, have Scotty remaining fairly active as a mentor to people and indicate that he's still alive as late as 2422 when he cuts the ribbon on a facility named after him.

Aside from the animated series alien Enterprise crew members, he's the one TOS character who could still be around. And Cryptic has gotten permission once to include him.

It might have been strange circa Doohan's death but I think giving him a presence, at this point, would feel like a nice tribute if anything.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I've been on a kick about this lately but James Doohan's birthday last week got me thinking about this again.

Scotty is only a few years older than Picard, biologically, thanks to his transporter incident. He'd be about 112. For reference, McCoy was 136 in the TNG pilot and lived many years after that according to the books. The novels, even pre-Destiny, have Scotty remaining fairly active as a mentor to people and indicate that he's still alive as late as 2422 when he cuts the ribbon on a facility named after him.

Aside from the animated series alien Enterprise crew members, he's the one TOS character who could still be around. And Cryptic has gotten permission once to include him.

It might have been strange circa Doohan's death but I think giving him a presence, at this point, would feel like a nice tribute if anything.
It's a matter of likeness rights - same reason why Picard alias Patrick Stewart isn't in the game. I doubt Cryptic will get any such rights anytime soon, although it WOULD be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99

Scotty already is ingame, in the finale of the Devidian series. This was set back in the TOS days though
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarsightFrostwhisper
It's a matter of likeness rights - same reason why Picard alias Patrick Stewart isn't in the game. I doubt Cryptic will get any such rights anytime soon, although it WOULD be nice.
He's already in a mission so they obviously have the rights.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-05-2011, 02:51 PM
I think it would be a little too sad, especially since he could never have a voice actor.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarsightFrostwhisper
if i remember correctly, the rules said they couldn't use the likenesses of anyone who was still alive... and James Doohan is dead (God bless his soul), so I think they could use his current aged figure in the game (correct me if i'm wrong, anyone)
and i think it would be a good idea Scotty is one of the legends of Star Trek, along with Kirk, Spock, Picard, and every other notable Star Trek figure you could think of (so having him in-game would be great )
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
He's already in a mission so they obviously have the rights.
I am not sure how that works exactly, but there MAY be a difference between then-looks (hell, the Scotty in STO doesnt look at all like James Doohan - they might not even have any likeness rights) and "current" (or more like "last seen in movie") looks.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
if i remember correctly, the rules said they couldn't use the likenesses of anyone who was still alive... and James Doohan is dead (God bless his soul), so I think they could his current aged figure in the game (correct me if i'm wrong, anyone)
and i think it would be a good idea Scotty is one of the legends of Star Trek, along with Kirk, Spock, Picard, and every other notable Star Trek figure you could think of (so having him in-game would be great )
I don't know how that legally works, but I can imagine some of those rights belonging to some inheritors of his.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
I think it would be a little too sad, especially since he could never have a voice actor.
Maybe. But since Scotty and McCoy have been recast in the new films, I wouldn't object to Cryptic getting their own house actors for both characters, which I assume would go through some CBS scrutiny.

Overall, I think it's arguably more palatable to recast one off characters and characters played by an actor who has passed away.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
if i remember correctly, the rules said they couldn't use the likenesses of anyone who was still alive...
Doesn't Spock's voice count as an auditory likeness? And in that case, did they break the rules when they brought in Nimoy?