Lt. Commander
# 1 Melee dps
02-28-2011, 12:49 AM
Hi. Im new to the game. I was wondering what was better melee or range dps for ground? Also does crouching on the ground make your melee do more damage? I notice crouching does more for range dps but could not tell for melee. Thanks for any input.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Yeah, I was wondering about how to raise your melee DPS as well... I was planning on making a Gorn who "specialized" in ground melee combat (Reptilian strength [18% bonus melee damage and knock back], aggressive [5% bonus melee damage bonus and threat generation]). I was going to go as a tactical and put my skills into melee as well.

I have done this once before (not a strength oriented character though, but I maxed most of the melee skills) and I saw little difference in the damage that I did... Is there something I'm missing? Is it possible to do as much damage as some Klingon NPCs?

Thanks,
Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-28-2011, 07:26 AM
melee DPS is theoretically far higher than ranged DPS on equivalently levelled weapons (i.e. a purple mk xi bat'leth should do more than a purple mk xi split beam) however, when you take into account that enemy NPCs have a tendency to move a lot you will routinely find that ranged DPS is superior. Also melee exploits are in all cases weaker than ranged exploits- so if you use this mechanic a lot a good sniper, split beam or compression bolt will be more beneficial (but remember you have two weapon slots so you can take both)

If you can grab some physical augmentation body armour, this will increase your damage as well as using the physician kit on a science officer (or the hypospray that buffs physical attacks on a BO) You will need to get some roots or slows in as the only way to keep your DPS up is to stay right up in the enemies' faces and as i have already stated: they really like to run. Having a stun pistol as a secondary weapon wouldn't hurt any melee character and shields with the knockdown modifier will help further.

You will have to learn all the combinations for your weapon and what they do. most melee weapons have a knockback, a burst damage exploit move and a general DPS move, but each weapon will have its own varients (for instance the lirpa has a 360 degree knockback attack on 121 and a faster but less damaging one on 212) These are where the real power of melee weapons lie as these offer great utility and damage increases to your weapon- additionally if you can activate the animation for the 3rd attack in a combo you will be immune to knockdown attacks for the animation's duration (though you will be sent backwards from the target.)

The final big advantage of melee weapons are that they completely bypass shields, so even if your DPS isn't as high as your ranged alternate weapons, you may find you are actually killing shielded enemies faster as you are simply bypassing a lot of hitpoints.

Crouching is an odd one for melee, while theoretically you are worse off crouching as you will take more melee damage, you may find your lunge attacks more effective as there is a slight possibility they'll hit faster than opponent's allowing yo to counter enemy knockdown attempts- this is situational though so you are much better off standing.

Overall, melee has a lot of potential if you can find a way to stop enemies running away from you and you know your combos well. If you cannot do this effectively you will find ranged weapons to be far superior to melee weapons and even if you can there will be situations where you will prefer ranged engagements so always bring a spare weapon along, but in normal encounters you will be getting kills much faster with a sword, lirpa or bat'leth in your hands.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-28-2011, 08:12 AM
What types of skills affect your melee weapon damage? And are bonuses to damage (like reptilian strength [18% bonus melee damage strength] and agressive [5% bonus melee damage strength]) actually noticeable?

Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila
What types of skills affect your melee weapon damage? And are bonuses to damage (like reptilian strength [18% bonus melee damage strength] and agressive [5% bonus melee damage strength]) actually noticeable?

Quiiliitiila
My klingon's ground trait are all for melee damage and i definitely notice that he does more damage with a bat'leth than my fed does. However the gap isn't very big; just enough to be noticeable. I have only ever played science and to my knowledge only traits, body armour and the hypospray i mentioned in my previous post can alter a science captain's melee damage output. Tactical captains are probably different but i think engineers are the same as science in this regard. The traits will simply be "helpful" but won't make or break your melee class in my experience, the most important thing is how you use your weapon. This is about as far as my knowledge goes for melee builds unfortunately so you'll have to wait until someone who's more clued up on character creation comes in to get a fuller answer.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Don't beat yourself up, you've been very helpful thus far, my brother might run a science Gorn to do what you described and we wait with baited breath to see the results. I'm sure we won't be disappointed.

In the mean time I'll wait for someone that runs tactical officers to answer where you left off.

Thanks,
Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Is there a way to get your bridge officer to use the dylovene ability on *you* rather than some random engineer who doesn't need it?
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2011, 03:42 PM
I recently got the Falcion, and I blew through "Assimilation", and "The Return", using mostly the Falcion. I also got through quite a lot of "Light in the Dark" using the Falchion. The main strategy with Mele weapons is to A: Use them against Klinks, who NEVER move, B: Use them against Elite Tac Drones when they stop taking damage, and C: to ONLY use the mele weapons when your opponent closes with you, or if you use Lunge.

When your opponent closes with you is usually when they take out a mele weapon (if you're new, you've probably already seen the Klingon Bat'Leths), and you can use your own Mele weapon to counter that. Also, on "Light in the Dark", the reduced gravity rating makes the Mele weapon the better choice, as your can keep jumping over your enemy to constantly do flank damage.