Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
03-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
I'm pretty sure the VA level ships (Galaxy, Intrepid, and Defiant) refits are claimed via the Ship store in ESD, not the C-Store, once purchased. If you decommission one of those ships, just go back to ESD and get another free one. I have no idea why the purchase button isn't blanked out once you get the ship for an account, because there's absolutely no reason to have to purchase them again.
Word 'em Up on the Level
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
03-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
I'm pretty sure the VA level ships (Galaxy, Intrepid, and Defiant) refits are claimed via the Ship store in ESD, not the C-Store, once purchased. If you decommission one of those ships, just go back to ESD and get another free one. I have no idea why the purchase button isn't blanked out once you get the ship for an account, because there's absolutely no reason to have to purchase them again.
True, unless the ship was obtained by the VA token, then you would still be able to buy it.(and would not be replaceable if discharged, except by buying it or grinding emblems).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigurd Ross
It's weird, because my roommate has STO as well, but the Galaxy-X doesn't appear for claiming on the C-Store for him anymore (he already bought it a long time ago, but discharged it and intended to reclaim it later). Anyone else have this problem?
Just to be sure, he's looking under "Special unlocks" and not "ships"?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
03-07-2011, 06:09 PM
It is in special unlocks. Thanks for your help!

... very obscure place to put it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
03-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
I'm pretty sure the VA level ships (Galaxy, Intrepid, and Defiant) refits are claimed via the Ship store in ESD, not the C-Store, once purchased. If you decommission one of those ships, just go back to ESD and get another free one. I have no idea why the purchase button isn't blanked out once you get the ship for an account, because there's absolutely no reason to have to purchase them again.

I know you claim them at ESD. The ships were grayed out with a pop-up text stating I already owned the ship, even tho it had already been decommissioned. It would not let me reclaim it. That was when I purchased it again.

Peace
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
03-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galan_Vaurek

I know you claim them at ESD. The ships were grayed out with a pop-up text stating I already owned the ship, even tho it had already been decommissioned. It would not let me reclaim it. That was when I purchased it again.

Peace
Oh, I see. Did you send in a ticket before (or after) re-purchasing? if you purchased the Intrepid Refit (or any of the other refits) from the C-Store, you shouldn't have to repurchase them from the C-store again on your account.

EDIT: I'd certainly write in a ticket, as I just tried this with the tactical escort refit. I got one, discharged it, and went back and was able to get a new one with no problems from the ESD requisition officer.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
03-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Oh, I see. Did you send in a ticket before (or after) re-purchasing? if you purchased the Intrepid Refit (or any of the other refits) from the C-Store, you shouldn't have to repurchase them from the C-store again on your account.

EDIT: I'd certainly write in a ticket, as I just tried this with the tactical escort refit. I got one, discharged it, and went back and was able to get a new one with no problems from the ESD requisition officer.
Well, I'm hesitant to, as I know they have a "no refunds" policy... but you're right, they need to be made aware that there was an issue.

Thanks for the response.

Peace
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
03-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galan_Vaurek
Well, I'm hesitant to, as I know they have a "no refunds" policy... but you're right, they need to be made aware that there was an issue.

Thanks for the response.

Peace
Yeah, but that policy honestly shouldn't apply to something you purchased and through no fault of your own was bugged/broke.. You're not the only one with the issue, though. There was someone else I replied to in a different thread who had the same problem with a ship he purchased on the C-store being greyed out at ship requisitions. The more people they know about who are experiencing this, maybe it'll make it easier to track down.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:44 PM.