Lt. Commander
# 1 PvP
03-06-2011, 08:19 AM
There was a time when I played this game daily, I was always here. I played with and against everyone at some point... even the Europeans knew who I was. lol It seemed like there was days I just didn't log out all day.

After literally 1000s of hours I felt I understood almost all the mechanics in the game both intended and clearly broken. Major flaws where annoying and bordered on exploit type tactics, I played my game and reported stuff for well... MONTHS. Cryptic did eventually fix the mechanic issues after it seemed some off us where ready to kill each other over their use. (I for one blame no one for using any of those mechanics intentional or not.... the fact that Cryptic KNEW about them and did nothing for months is telling)

At this point I am subbed and not planning to unsub (this is not an I QUIT thread please don't slap my wrist) I will simply say that I now spend my time else where. I was here for the PvP, I have never been a fan of PvE content and lets be honest for most of STOs life it was been lacking in that regard. I enjoyed the weekly missions, many of the PvE missions had great story and good intentions. They simply don't have tons of replay value. PvP always features different players / ships / ect... even with the SAME small handful of maps that have been around since launch.

Now I come to the recent "rewards" for the current weekly series. Spam Spam Spam and some annoying Spam. Thank you cryptic.

Hmmm... the PvP centric developer corrects a ton of game mechanic flaws, He also decides that shields are OP and unbalanced and corrects (rightfuly so)... SOooo... the PvE side of development makes sure EVERYONE has one of the few truely rare shield skills in the game. Ohhh my.

I assume that crypic has two development camps that NEVER speak to each other or something... the truth is I'm not sure I really care anymore. This game could easily be one of the best PvP games out there. The mechanics and the engine lends itself to great PvP, however it is potential unrealized, I held hope for a long time that cryptic would polish it up add a nice open zone somewhere and make it shine.

In any case I mainly wanted to pull it all together, I have lots of great game friends here, I don't see most of them as often as I like anymore, I will / do see some of them elsewhere, and hey I guess I still have some hope that cryptic will wake up before my wife makes me unsub from a game I play 2-3 days a month.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post
I assume that crypic has two development camps that NEVER speak to each other or something... the truth is I'm not sure I really care anymore. This game could easily be one of the best PvP games out there. The mechanics and the engine lends itself to great PvP, however it is potential unrealized, I held hope for a long time that cryptic would polish it up add a nice open zone somewhere and make it shine.
This the part i dont agree with. The reason?

Well its simple reasoning. They know about it, they know it destroys pvp and they know that the pvp community despises their decision making. Since they don't change it and in fact from patch to patch make it even worse it its obvious that it is intended to be this way.

Their whole song and dance that they have a small team and limited resources doesn't hold water since we have the same 3 pvp maps and one bugged out pvp zone for over a year and those cant be that hard to make.

One more thing is that in their 3 "seasons" of content there isnt one bit of pvp oriented part in it, only caterings to the PvE community.
One might argue that the largest part of their income comes from PvE people, fine, but noting for pvper's in over a year, not one map, not one zone??

Sad truth is they dont care about us, they dont care about this part of the forum even (unless there is an infraction to give), just look at the disparity in dev responses to the PvE crowd and here.

Since this is the reality of STO which doesn't want its (paying) pvp costumers to be here I ask why are we even here.

There are other games out there that have PvE and PvP content, maybe its time to give them a look, even if they sadly dont have starships.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Actually I think you're on to something there. I'm becoming convinced that Cryptic isn't clueless - they're actually trying to actively troll us.

If so, brilliant work guys, absolute genius move with the Tractor Mines. I don't think I've ever seen the PvP Community this incensed.

Gotta agree with you though Qaw. Been PvPing hardcore every day I've played since launch, through thick and thin, nerf and buff, and now I'm just going to back off it too. It's been heading for the abyss for a while now, but the new mines are the final nail in the coffin for me. PvP has simply stopped being fun.

Probably still do the daily, just for emblems, but aside from that, meh. Will just find other things to do in the game to amuse myself. Anybody for RP?

5th March, 2011: The Day the Funk Died
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-06-2011, 10:07 AM
This saddens me because you're one of the guys that knows the game inside and out; mechanics, math, everything
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Hey lone rider, Battlestar Galactica Online is in open beta, It's all spaceships, no ground, Its F2P, It is opvp territory battles, Spam free, & non instanced. I was in a battle this AM with over 100 players in it. You might want to give it a try. I'm on the Scorpio server, Botfly@Amidoinitright if you want to meet in-game sometime. I play a Cylon.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
Hey lone rider, Battlestar Galactica Online is in open beta, It's all spaceships, no ground, Its F2P, It is opvp territory battles, Spam free, & non instanced. I was in a battle this AM with over 100 players in it. You might want to give it a try. I'm on the Scorpio server, Botfly@Amidoinitright if you want to meet in-game sometime. I play a Cylon.
You mean... it's everything STO should be? :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
I've been following it for a few weeks now, great thing is that the same company/team that did battlestar gallactica online is doing a star trek game as well, also F2P.

Sad thing is I've been playing this game since open beta but it seems i will have to leave it as many other pvp oriented players did.

I'll look you up over there Botfly
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2011, 11:33 AM
I actually tried it and didn't like the controls for my ship at all. And, of course, it's pay2win...
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-06-2011, 11:42 AM
meh i haven't paid anything and i'm ranked 308th on the PVP leaderboard ATM, out of like 3000+ people, & i've put in like 15 hours.
wasd+ full 360 degree movement, i love it. spacebar for thrusters .Also, no magic powers/ Boffs. no bad touch
Its got some issues, but its still in beta, It is not as full a gaming experience as STO, but the PEW PEW is a blast. Even the AI controlled ships are challenging to fight.
That's my 2 cubits anyway
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Season 4 is going to be based completely on PvP, we just need some patience.