Lt. Commander
# 1 So the Genesis system
03-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Remember that? Haven't heard too much about it. Remember how, when the game was in development, the devs would always talk about it, saying how revolutionary it was? Remember how it was suppose to allow the devs to create a virtually infinite variety of planets, species and missions? Supplying us with content for years. What ever happened to that? I am just playing the same maps with the same species doing the same missions from one corner of the galaxy to another, over and over again.

Seeing how lame the Genesis system turned out I have very low expectations on how well the Foundry will be, despite how much more creative Star Trek fans supposedly are than Cryptic employees.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-06-2011, 04:17 PM
I assume that u've not been on tribble, or played the missions on holodeck that were transfered over from tribble.

Also the genesis system has never worked at its full potential. Also all the exploration mission your see, thats genesis. Genesis only makes the environments, then an environmental artist goes in an fixes it up a little.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-06-2011, 04:19 PM
It was lip service sir I think whatever dev talked about it went to the Peter molyneux school of hyping
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-06-2011, 04:22 PM
First, you need to understand what the Genesis system actually is. It is NOT anything that is part of the player-side of the game. It is an internal Dev tool that basically lets them hit "random" and auto-generate a planet for use in a mission(like the way you can hit "random" in the character creator and create a fairly unique looking character or alien). However, that only allows them to create a MAP. To then create an actual MISSION they would still have to write all the dialog, place all the NPCs and buildings, and hook up all the working parts of the mission.

So the Genesis system does exactly what it is supposed to. The problem is, the Devs did not CONTINUE to update the exploration content after the game was launched. If they had continued to add new scenerios into the mix every update, it wouldnt seem as stale. However, exploration is getting a major revamp soon, so that is pretty much a moot point.

As far as the Foundry goes, it is simply amazing. I have never used a UGC tool that has as much power and ability. People are building missions that are as good or better than episodes already in game made by the Devs.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Genesis is there and working as intended. It was you guys who put the lofty expectations of it.

They are revisiting it in the exploration update to actually remove the Genesis system and replace it with something else.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barihawk View Post
Genesis is there and working as intended. It was you guys who put the lofty expectations of it.

They are revisiting it in the exploration update to actually remove the Genesis system and replace it with something else.
Though I've already discussed the differences between "the genesis system" and "exploration" in my previous post, the Devs really did over-sell exploration before launch. Go back and read the pre-launch interviews and you'll see it isnt what they said it would be. Some of us tried to bring this up in beta, but it didnt accomplish anything at the time:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=39071

You'll see that in my post I did not correctly understand what "the genesis system" was at the time, but you can still see the point I was making about lackluster exploration.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Though I've already discussed the differences between "the genesis system" and "exploration" in my previous post, the Devs really did over-sell exploration before launch. Go back and read the pre-launch interviews and you'll see it isnt what they said it would be. Some of us tried to bring this up in beta, but it didnt accomplish anything at the time:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=39071
Yeah, I remember reading the Game Informer article making the Genesis system sound like the bomb. There was just going to be miles and miles of content created by this beast and you could explore to your heart's content. Yeah right. You can explore to your heart's content, but that contentness goes away very quickly after a few repeats. They made the genesis system sound like it was just going to automatically create new missions after we had done a certain amount of them.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Ooh! And they also said other things that hinted at you being able to just go on and explore, explore, explore if you charted the right course and of course you had to wonder "if I explored a planet, would it be registered in the system?'

- ah the days of pre-launch when I was sitting there thinking "wow, this sounds awesome" and "where the hell are they going to find the space to cram all of this in properly!?"
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit View Post
I assume that u've not been on tribble, or played the missions on holodeck that were transfered over from tribble.

Also the genesis system has never worked at its full potential. Also all the exploration mission your see, thats genesis. Genesis only makes the environments, then an environmental artist goes in an fixes it up a little.
Well, Genesis does make planets, so I'd have to assume that it'd make the environments to go with those planets. To bad the planet self destructed though.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Yeah, they caught me out with the Genesis oversell.

I honestly believed each of these Exploration maps were being generated from scratch at the point where you zone into the mission. Took me many Borg Third Dynasties to realise how limited the system actually was.

There's a great discussion on Dynamically Generated Content over on Massively at the moment. Worth a read if this kinda thing appeals.