Lt. Commander
# 11
03-07-2011, 10:39 AM
I for one was massively disappointed. I expected this.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Though I've already discussed the differences between "the genesis system" and "exploration" in my previous post, the Devs really did over-sell exploration before launch. Go back and read the pre-launch interviews and you'll see it isnt what they said it would be. Some of us tried to bring this up in beta, but it didnt accomplish anything at the time:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=39071

You'll see that in my post I did not correctly understand what "the genesis system" was at the time, but you can still see the point I was making about lackluster exploration.
Well, to be fair, in Zinc's eyes, the system cut mission development time by a fair margin; IF you didn't mind Scan 5/Kill 5 or quickie patrol missions. The initial implememntation had too issues - each individual map had to be downloaded to the client/repatched if there was a change to it, thus the constant 4GB patched (that WERE 4GB downloads during closed eta through the early launch of the game, and also the fact that many maps had non-linked 'indiviual instance' enemy groups meaning if teh Romulan faction got re-worked; NONE of the Genesis system created content with Romulans would see the enemy group changes - which is why we still see 'one shot' MOBs in Exploration content.

I applaud the fact they are reworking it so that new content created with it is linked so faction changes or updates will be reflected automatically, and the fact they went to the 'map only gets downloaded/patched if you get an exploration mission and don't have it/have an older version system.

I suspect there's a lot of 'quick brutre force' code across STO as they had so little time tp develop the game from CBS (something that they agreed to; and we as players have had to live with); but again, I think it speaks well that they're going back and fixing/uypgrading this as they're able to; while still intigrating new game features as well.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ
Remember that? Haven't heard too much about it. Remember how, when the game was in development, the devs would always talk about it, saying how revolutionary it was? Remember how it was suppose to allow the devs to create a virtually infinite variety of planets, species and missions? Supplying us with content for years. What ever happened to that? I am just playing the same maps with the same species doing the same missions from one corner of the galaxy to another, over and over again.

Seeing how lame the Genesis system turned out I have very low expectations on how well the Foundry will be, despite how much more creative Star Trek fans supposedly are than Cryptic employees.
Except players have actually used the Foundry and can empirically verify that it's made of awesome.

The same cannot be said about the Genesis tools.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieZ View Post
Clicked expecting "I Can't Dance".
Left happy.

10/10 will click again.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-07-2011, 12:42 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines GMMeeko
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieZ View Post
Oh I'm so gonna have to punch you :p

(j/k, i lol'd)
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-07-2011, 02:03 PM
This picture pretty much summed up my hopes for exploration when I first read all their comments about how it would work. Maybe one day.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
This picture pretty much summed up my hopes for exploration when I first read all their comments about how it would work. Maybe one day.
So pretty and so hard to do without human input.

I really want to see the Exploration revamp.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit View Post
I assume that u've not been on tribble, or played the missions on holodeck that were transfered over from tribble.

Also the genesis system has never worked at its full potential. Also all the exploration mission your see, thats genesis. Genesis only makes the environments, then an environmental artist goes in an fixes it up a little.
No I'm not on Tribble, STO is buggy enough, I don't want to play on the even more buggy test server. And have STO take up twice the room on my hard drive than it already does.

I have however, played the foundry missions that are on holodeck and they are pretty good, better than the average STO mission at least. I understand the devs are working on adding things like branching dialogue options and such, but until then it will just be press "f" and shoot things missions.

I guess I'm just grumpy because the featured episode is over and I have to go back to having nothing to do in this game. Even though the Featured Episodes only provided about half an hour of content a week.

I have created a 2nd Star Fleet character but I have pretty much stalled out at Lieutenant level 5. Because there is so little content that a second character has to do the same missions the first guy went through. Now, in a game like World of ******** (yeah I went there don't freak out) a different character of a different race and class but of the same faction as the original will have a completely different experience with a different starting location and different quests. Don't give me any of that "But WoW has been out for years so it has more content" BS, this is the way it always has been since their level cap was 60.

I'm just saying that Genesis was supposed to be this awesome developing tool that was going to give the devs the ability to create an almost endless supply of missions and environments, by drastically reducing the time it took to make stuff. Because as every one knows: "According to myth, the Earth was created in six days. Now, watch out! Here comes Genesis! We'll do it for you in six minutes!"
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ
: "According to myth, the Earth was created in six days. Now, watch out! Here comes Genesis! We'll do it for you in six minutes!"
Leonard McCoy....Star Trek II "The Wrath of Khan"....what do I win???