Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-07-2011, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterScotsman View Post
Suggestions I've seen in other threads over the last few days that seemed reasonable:
  • Make the item unique, max of 1 per character
  • Have them time out like other mines do
  • Have them destroy themselves when constantly deployed on a FIFO basis like other mines (if they don't already)
  • Unaffected by dispersal patterns
All great idea, some seem pulled from my own brain. I think all need to be in place.

I used to tell people how fun the ship combat was how how many different ways you could win a pvp match. With every captain putting out photonic fleet(if sci), mines, scorpion fighters, fleet support (hull low) adding cloaked tractor mines was the last thing the pvp community needed. You have taken all the fun creative ways to win an arena out of the game and turned into a spam-fest with who can scramble you over and over with the most objects in the air. Gone now is the fun diversity, you have made this scramble and spam strategy the only way to win.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
One underlying issue, which is continually brought forward with each new introduction of spammy lag inducing NPC items, is that of the woefully inadequate targeting system. One presumably simple fix is to add functionality similar to current Tab Targeting but that filters out all Non Player Characters and Items. This way way can see what is on the battle field but we don't have to cycle through 50 just to get a crack at the 5 optimal targets. Another would be to allow us to have a greater contrast (color, boldness, etc) between the enemy we are targeting and all of the other enemies and clutter in the field.

Obviously these suggestions don't speak to the main problem that is the ultimate point of this thread, but it is something else that could be adjusted to make some of these things a bit more bearable.
/healHale

We don't even necessarily need to restrict what we discuss here to the CTM's (although, they have become the proverbial 'last straw' that has finally brought things to a head)... We can use this to address so many of the underlying issues that are exacerbated by things like these new Mines.

100% Agree that the Targeting interface needs a substantial overhaul to be viable in the spam-filled Arenas and C&H Matches within which we currently subside. Even something as simple as a hotkey for 'Target Nearest PC Enemy' would do wonders for alleviating some of the stress that the spam places upon players. The idea to modify the contrast of target selection boxes also has a lot of merit, as it could be easier to differentiate between PC's and NPC's/Spam (this should also be a relatively simple thing to change, even if the optional colors are not provided for players to change, the Devs could probably make a greater disparity in colors for PC objects and non-PC objects).

The game's targeting interface functions adequately for PvE content, as there are never enough NPC's with synergistically-irritating abilities & spam (even, for instance, the Deferi Dailies, on Elite, with a full, PC team) to compare to the cluttered battlefield that currently is the PvP System.

-Big Red
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-07-2011, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarsightFrostwhisper
I just got a feeling they are laughing their asses off right now at us.
Soo, how hard they will laugh when all the dedicated PVP-ers cancel (not necessarily forever, just until the spamming is dealt with)and the average time to pop a queue surpass 24 hours.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra37 View Post
Soo, how hard they will laugh when all the dedicated PVP-ers cancel (not necessarily forever, just until the spamming is dealt with)and the average time to pop a queue surpass 24 hours.
You mean all those people with life accounts? This is exactly why I'd never buy a life subscription by the way. You get no possibility to vote with your money with it. And Cryptic has already proven that even though they listen to the community, they are also perfectly able to dish out some seriously odd stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Because the whole "Listening to the community" is mostly a PR stunt. When it comes to gameplay mechanics, the devs ignore us and push their own design decisions through the pipelines. Heck, they usually ignore their own testers, who actually pay to test.
There are hundreds of ideas floating around, worded a thousand different ways on the forum. Due to probablity and chance, some of those ideas match the design plans and decisions of the devs. So at the end of the day they can say: Hey, we listen to the community, because we implemented a forum idea.
But in fact they do not, the idea was already in the works and the actual forum thread had nothing to do with it.
Occasionally, they do use some ideas to implement them as superficial fluff additions (likely a CStore stuff). At the end even those don't really look like the original requests anyway but that furthers the "Listening to the community" image.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-07-2011, 08:17 AM
I typically did about 15-20 matches a day, when I am free. I probably do around 6 or 7 on busy days. Now I will do the required 3,.. afk at that.

Just do your emblems. Forget PvP. Send a message. Make the Queue so darn long that people don't even queue up for it any more. The only way you are going to turn their head to pay attention to the problem is this way. They don't care. This is not PvP any more. It is PVsPam. Either participate in it.. or walk away.

They won't change it, if you participate in it. Or just join S.O.B. and make it official that you love spam.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
Or just join S.O.B. and make it official that you love spam.
Zing
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
I typically did about 15-20 matches a day, when I am free. I probably do around 6 or 7 on busy days. Now I will do the required 3,.. afk at that.

Just do your emblems. Forget PvP. Send a message. Make the Queue so darn long that people don't even queue up for it any more. The only way you are going to turn their head to pay attention to the problem is this way. They don't care. This is not PvP any more. It is PVsPam. Either participate in it.. or walk away.

They won't change it, if you participate in it. Or just join S.O.B. and make it official that you love spam.
IMHO people do that already. Last 3 matches I played were each 20 mins of wait and then an AFK fest. Kinda pointless to try to play when out of 6v6 or so, 3 on each side are AFK.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-07-2011, 11:22 AM
The irony of the devs in PvP (and even the dual pistols PvE issue) is that they probably are in God Mode, so they are probably saying "I don't why the players are having an issue. I'm not getting overwhelemd at all...."
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshi View Post
The irony of the devs in PvP (and even the dual pistols PvE issue) is that they probably are in God Mode, so they are probably saying "I don't why the players are having an issue. I'm not getting overwhelemd at all...."
Wow, really, because the Dev in charge of ship changes hasn't been active at all recently (sarcasm)
I seem to remember a lot of ship changes recently, pvp matches with the Devs on Tribble, Devs ingame several times. The Devís are very responsive in this game and anyone who says they arenít doesnít really take the time to try too hard.
I am not saying that itís not something that shouldnít be looked at but this is what you the Uber PVPers asked for.
Closed Thread