Lt. Commander
# 121
03-08-2011, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
Realistically....more like 3 and a half
I run the B'Tran, Deferi, Eta Eridani circuit on at least 2 of my characters each night and I'm done in a little over 3 hours. It should not take anyone more than that. These missions just are not that long.
Lt. Commander
# 122
03-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
I run the B'Tran, Deferi, Eta Eridani circuit on at least 2 of my characters each night and I'm done in a little over 3 hours. It should not take anyone more than that. These missions just are not that long.
He/she has a point. Pretty much. it would take one night and about 3+ hours to grind out enough emblems to convert to Marks of Honor for a Cov X Cap3.
Lt. Commander
# 123
03-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade

I've spent weeks searching for hard to find items in old games like GemStone or Dragon Realms. I literally spent months camping this really old cyclops in an early MMO so I could take something only he would drop, and trade it in for a pair of boots that would let me run fast. I've also spent inordinately large amounts of time going on raids so I could get the best gear available for my class, just to have someone who showed up for the raid the first time ever win the roll for an item I still needed.

Stormshade
Hmm EQ
10/char
Lt. Commander
# 124
03-08-2011, 07:25 AM
I do not have a problem with the "500 emblems" issue.

I do have a problem that you can not get emblems in more places. There should be at least one emblem awarded for doing any of the weekly episodes. Same if you replay any STO mission. There probably should be emblems for doing the DSE's at the higher levels as well. It is not the cost but the lack of variety in getting there.

I started accumulating emblems but up until the Defari Daylies there was only 4 per day that I would get as I do not like PvP. Yes, that is my choice. But I got so burned out by running B'tran VA missions that I finally just stopped. The new Defari missions helped but it still is a bit boring to do the same missions over and over and over and over.

Bottom line, add more chances and choices to get the emblems...500 cost is not the problem. And Cryptic, if you want to cap the number per day at 15, then do that. Just give us variation.
Lt. Commander
# 125
03-08-2011, 07:43 AM
There are a lot of valid points brought up here. I don't think that comparing STO to other MMOs is one of them.

Many people in STO are completely new to MMOs. They have no way to compare STO's grind to other games. Sure, it may be "better" than old school punch-me-in-the-face MMOs or MUDs or whatever, but that is completely irrelevant for people who have STO as their first experience. The bottom line is that grinding 500 emblems is boring, repetitive, and not fun. Not a very goo dintroduction to MMOs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore Shrvk
What you fail to consider is most of the paying playerbase is casual and I do not consider the hour estimates I gave above anything other than power...
Perish the thought if you can only play on the weekends!!!!
Exactly! Cryptic has stated that a VERY large portion of the player base is not even above the Captain rank! If they're not even at Admiral yet, how the heck will they EVER get these ships if they don't want to pay? People have been talking in this thread about "only a few hours a day" or whatever. If someone doesn't want to pay, but doesn't have that kind of time, what are they supposed to do? And what if they want to spend their precious STO time doing something other than grinding for emblems?
Lt. Commander
# 126
03-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
Exactly! Cryptic has stated that a VERY large portion of the player base is not even above the Captain rank! If they're not even at Admiral yet, how the heck will they EVER get these ships if they don't want to pay? People have been talking in this thread about "only a few hours a day" or whatever. If someone doesn't want to pay, but doesn't have that kind of time, what are they supposed to do? And what if they want to spend their precious STO time doing something other than grinding for emblems?
I'm going to butt in here.

I play STO becuase I want to, not becuase I can. I play on a Sunday (for PvP with my American friends) and also about an hour on a weekday, should I choose. And normally that's doing normal missions or having a tinker on the Foundry (E1 - "Where Men Dare To Tread" and E2'beta' - "Undying Intervention") .

The rest of the time, I am either on the STO Forums, modelling railways, doing DIY/Gardening with my dad, playing BLUR on the xbox, or playing COD4:MW multiplayer. In my free time.

The rest of my life is taken up with sleeping and work.
Lt. Commander
# 127
03-08-2011, 07:57 AM
I think what we're missing here is that it is YOUR personal choice to play the game in the long run. You CAN make 500 emblms without really noticing if you play on a regular basis. This doesnt mean play at all hours....a couple a day or every other day will do the trick.

OR

You can spend $20. to buy it out of the game store so its there when you want it.

Either way this shouldnt be a deciding factor on why you play.......MGDawson brings a very very valid point.

You either want it or you dont...and if you played MMO's before this shouldnt be anything new.

Nor should it really be anything to get into a twist over. Like anything in life.....you can have everything you want......you just have to work at it and have patience.
Lt. Commander
# 128
03-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDawson View Post
I'm going to butt in here.

I play STO becuase I want to, not becuase I can. I play on a Sunday (for PvP with my American friends) and also about an hour on a weekday, should I choose. And normally that's doing normal missions or having a tinker on the Foundry (E1 - "Where Men Dare To Tread" and E2'beta' - "Undying Intervention") .

The rest of the time, I am either on the STO Forums, modelling railways, doing DIY/Gardening with my dad, playing BLUR on the xbox, or playing COD4:MW multiplayer. In my free time.

The rest of my life is taken up with sleeping and work.
See, this illustrates exactly the type of player that many posters in this thread are ignoring. For people to say "you can get all X emblems from the daily in just a few hours" completely leaves someone like MGDawson behind. I hope you weigh in on the actual cost of 500 emblems, MGDawson, because right now it looks like you are the perfect example of why it is too steep. Sure, you'll get there eventually, but not in any sort of timely fashion.
Lt. Commander
# 129
03-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
See, this illustrates exactly the type of player that many posters in this thread are ignoring. For people to say "you can get all X emblems from the daily in just a few hours" completely leaves someone like MGDawson behind. I hope you weigh in on the actual cost of 500 emblems, MGDawson, because right now it looks like you are the perfect example of why it is too steep. Sure, you'll get there eventually, but not in any sort of timely fashion.
The flipside is that if you trivialize the cost in Emblems to say 50 or 100, then you are making it far too easy for those who play more than the "once a week" types.

You will also have people complain about the Emblem cost regardless of how many Emblems it is. What Stormshade posted was spot on and fair. You can spend $20 or spend the equivilant time to earn the Emblems in game.
Lt. Commander
# 130
03-08-2011, 08:18 AM
The alternative flipside is to give every "@_____" account a universal bank of credits or emblems (though not items) and then whever a person has got enough, through whatever character, they can then use those up.

Although maybe Cryptic could give us Lifer's a free item every 3 months and we'd play ball. :p
Closed Thread