Lt. Commander
# 51
03-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneArac
If you can do all that - 18 emblerms - in less than 2 hours you're a better person than I. Probably longer.

So the /best case scenario/ is an entire month, every day, for 2 hours a day. That's not fun, that's /work/. And that assumes you're capable of that: If you break that up so it ceases being such a chore, you're looking at 3 months or more.

Not. Reasonable.
Working for something you want (& don't need at all). There's a foreign concept.
Lt. Commander
# 52
03-07-2011, 05:27 PM
I Don't Mind, Items being placed on the C-Store but the 500 emblerms u need to get something is abit more, inside of removing or lowering that number, wouldn't the better answer be to increase the amount of Emblerms u get per mission? i've done missions which only give 1 emblerms for doing somethig that may take half anhour to do.

Keep the 500 but increase the amount of Emblerms you per mission or add them to more missions at VA level.

just to add, i've spent a fair bit on the C-Store, from the open Jackets to the Nebula Class and the Delta fly and a few bridge packs and 4 charcter slots.
Lt. Commander
# 53
03-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Folks, 500 emblems is really a pretty fair deal. If you don't want to spend the time to earn the emblems, you have the option to buy the item from the C-Store.

I've played quite a few MMOs in my day, and having a wait for an end game level item is nothing new to the MMO world.

There is a long standing tradition in fact of having hard to earn items available in MMOs. One might even say it's an MMO Trope.

I've spent weeks searching for hard to find items in old games like GemStone or Dragon Realms. I literally spent months camping this really old cyclops in an early MMO so I could take something only he would drop, and trade it in for a pair of boots that would let me run fast. I've also spent inordinately large amounts of time going on raids so I could get the best gear available for my class, just to have someone who showed up for the raid the first time ever win the roll for an item I still needed.

I like the way things are done here better. Pick a reward, and start saving up for it. No random factor required, you get the required amount of funds, and you can now earn the item you wish to have the most. Plus, if you really have to have an item right now, you have the option of the C-store available to you.

MMOs are always going to have something else to achieve, some new piece of gear you desperately require, or some sort of new challenge to face. The C-store simply allows you to trade time for money, when working to acquire these things. Money which then goes back into the game so we can continue to make Star Trek Online better for you.

I'll continue to believe that one month worth of play time spent gathering emblems is a fair trade when I compare it to my own experiences raiding, and grinding, in other MMOs, to earn similar rewards. I'd much rather know when I'm going to get the item I need than to spend another few months sitting on an island in the middle of an empty zone waiting for one particular mob to show up.

Really, the point of all this is... If you think about the alternatives, this is really much better.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 54
03-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Folks, 500 emblems is really a pretty fair deal. If you don't want to spend the time to earn the emblems, you have the option to buy the item from the C-Store.

I've played quite a few MMOs in my day, and having a wait for an end game level item is nothing new to the MMO world.

There is a long standing tradition in fact of having hard to earn items available in MMOs. One might even say it's an MMO Trope.
To support the statements above, see Jedi and Mandalorian armor in SWG(pre NGE of course).
Lt. Commander
# 55
03-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
To support the statements above, see Jedi and Mandalorian armor in SWG(pre NGE of course).
I was just going to say that but you beat ms to it. I also remember a certain Wild Boar on a certain desert planet that I camped for, for hours only to have some noob come along and get the first shot in, there by gettting the rare drop. Needless to say, I was not happy. I much prefer Cryptic way.
Lt. Commander
# 56
03-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Quote:

I've spent weeks searching for hard to find items in old games like GemStone or Dragon Realms. I literally spent months camping this really old cyclops in an early MMO so I could take something only he would drop, and trade it in for a pair of boots that would let me run fast. I've also spent inordinately large amounts of time going on raids so I could get the best gear available for my class, just to have someone who showed up for the raid the first time ever win the roll for an item I still needed.

I like the way things are done here better. Pick a reward, and start saving up for it. No random factor required, you get the required amount of funds, and you can now earn the item you wish to have the most. Plus, if you really have to have an item right now, you have the option of the C-store available to you.

MMOs are always going to have something else to achieve, some new piece of gear you desperately require, or some sort of new challenge to face. The C-store simply allows you to trade time for money, when working to acquire these things. Money which then goes back into the game so we can continue to make Star Trek Online better for you.

I'll continue to believe that one month worth of play time spent gathering emblems is a fair trade when I compare it to my own experiences raiding, and grinding, in other MMOs, to earn similar rewards. I'd much rather know when I'm going to get the item I need than to spend another few months sitting on an island in the middle of an empty zone waiting for one particular mob to show up.

Really, the point of all this is... If you think about the alternatives, this is really much better.

Thanks,

Stormshade
storm, i think your missing some of the argument, not all of us are people who live and breathe by our computers, not all of us have an opurtunity to play every day, and not all of us have an opurtunity to get every daily done and play the content we want to play in the amount of time we are given by wives, families, work, other real life issues.. the point here is that 200 emblems for the "average" player was well over a month worth of accumulating, and now because some people had some stock piled (i know i did) the "average" player gets boned... this hardly seems fair. it would be one thing if 500 emblems unlocked it for the account, but 500 emblems for one ship, or equipment or what not, and its bound to that one character, that is steep, and un realistic for anyone who is an average player... i pay my monthly subscript, and yes, i am single, and i do have time to play, but not every day, and certainly not for hour past hour past hour... i find myself making a choice, do dailys, or join in on an stf, or what not... u guys are punishing us so that maybe instead of taking a vacation with a family, or go out to dinner with friends, well purchase the item instead of waiting for 3, 4, or more months to accumulate that many emblems... 200 was fair, especially for a per character unlock. 500 for a per character unlock is a rip off... its a waste of time, energy, and emblems... remember, we need emblems for equipment as well....

as far as the other guy stating that 500 emblems = 1 months accumulation, i bet not even a quarter of the pop. plays every single day, and accumulates the top amount of emblems a day... these are all figures cryptic looked at, and rubbed their hands together as they said, "this should make them want to buy cryptic points to get one of those items"... disgusting if you ask me.... how about this cryptic, bring the gd game up to where it should have been at launch, and give us end game content that isnt over a year old.

and as far as having items that are hard to get, make it interesting to get... saving emblems feels so hollow, i used to like going on insane quest lines to get something, or having it drop, that makes them more special to me, a rare drop.... further more its interesting how atari/ cryptic suites like to bend their clients over in harsh economic times.... and take a price that everyone pretty much unanimously agreed was a good price (ie, 200 emblems) and up it to try to force players to purchase it....
Lt. Commander
# 57
03-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Somthing has come up a few times in this thread that needs to be addressed.
The c-store ships are either fluff and can rightly be put in the store or they are endgame awesome that should be analogous to raiding armor in other mmo. It cant be both.

If they are fluff that isnt such a big deal then they cost too many emblems.
If they are endgame awesome then they are underpowered and not worth the time investment. Also cryptic broke thier promise to not put gameplay effecting items in the store.

Im sorry stormie but your damned if you do, damned if you dont on this topic.

Because of this rift i will never be happy with ships in the store at all.
Lt. Commander
# 58
03-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Quote:
I've spent weeks searching for hard to find items in old games like GemStone or Dragon Realms.
I still play Gemstone sometimes

Seems a lot of people have at some point, which is interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 59
03-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Picking up 10 emblems a day doesn't take a lot of time, and you can get way more than 10 if you want to push it, and 50 days played doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

I also see people worry about needing emblems for gear, but most gear is craftable as well, and I didn't find it hard to grind up my crafting after the change.

If you don't want to commit that much in game time to getting the item, you always have the C-Store option.

If you don't want to do either, well, sadly life is about choices and you can't have everything you want.
Lt. Commander
# 60
03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
How many emblems can we get a day now 15?

So, 500/15 is 33 days of striaght emblem grinding.

How long does it take to get those emblems on average?

4-5 Hours of playing.

So that equates to 132 - 165 hrs of gameplay....

How reasonable does that sound now??? Either lower emblem costs on things or don't be so conservative with how many and what missions give emblems. Really, subsequent explorations missions in B'Tran (you must run a series of three) only give one emblem.

The whole emblem grind is probably the worst you have put into game and as a more casual player (1-2hrs a night) it really turns me off to the game. It did at the start and it still does.

Now let's put this into perspective in terms of what my time is worth. I make a decent amount of money that if I spent working instead of grinding emblems be three - four weeks of work. I can buy the tokens for $12.50.

Not only is 500 emblems not a fair price, doing the math it is just a ploy for you to just cough up the $12.50 if you are a casual gamer and you want the ship.

Bravo to your marketing team but for everyone out there, if something in a game costs you more time to grind than it does for a typical 40 hours work week it is not worth it.
Closed Thread