Lt. Commander
# 11
03-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
I just wish they would add maybe eight more missions to the explore missions. They wouldn't feel like they were so much of a grind.

If they increased the size of the exploration zones four times. Then made several instance in the same zone that looked different. So when you came out it would look like you were in a different part of space. If they had maybe four to six appearances for the zones it would seem more like you were exploring instead of flying around in a purple nebula.
The way exploration has been handled thus far really blows my mind. It is repeatable and scales to your level, which means that it SHOULD be both a viable way to level as well as a form of end game content. And it very well COULD have been those things IF they had continued to add new exploration mission types on a regular basis. But because it has been all but ignored, everyone has done the few missions that exist dozens of times and most people are simply tired of doing those same things over and over.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Have they added any missions to the random explore rotation since Season 2? All I've heard about are deletions and I haven't found any drastically unfamiliar maps since then. One thing that would help a lot is to throw slight variations of the existing explore-like patrols into the loop. It's not like they'd have to think of anything new...

For such a headline item, it's sad the ball has been so thoroughly dropped.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Have they added any missions to the random explore rotation since Season 2? All I've heard about are deletions and I haven't found any drastically unfamiliar maps since then. One thing that would help a lot is to throw slight variations of the existing explore-like patrols into the loop. It's not like they'd have to think of anything new...

For such a headline item, it's sad the ball has been so thoroughly dropped.
I think when people speak of new missions, they mean the "template" like "[RACE] in search of artifacts of 3rd Dynasty" and "Protect [STATION] from [RACE]".
There hasn't been any changes there, as far as I know. The biggest addition in new missions might be Klingon exploration, but - that just means Klingons and Federation players have different missions, it still gets the same old once you are ina specific faction. (And I would argue the KDF missions were often worse, with half the mission involving Tribbles. Excuse me? Am I supposed to take this game serious or just like a Trouble-With-Troubles rerun? I mean, those Tribble episodes were fun and nice, but this is way overdone.)

And some mission templates are very similar as well - I mean is there any meaningful difference between The artifact/plant/decalithium scans?
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-08-2011, 08:18 AM
All I know is that if I see that random base that looks like Memory Alpha or any planet with the fog turned WAY up where I am looking for plants or crystals again I will...well...I'll continue playing...but I won't be happy about it!

I can appreciate there are problems with a random mission generator...Maybe adding a mission where there's a random colony and you have to fix a supply chain (water, oxygenation, etc.), maybe a colonial evacuation under fire from the local bad guys, maybe some of the current missions could have variations....the gaseous anomaly survey leading into a first contact, a survey the ruins mission turning into a "don't break the prime directive" mission when you find a settlement...
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-08-2011, 08:20 AM
exploration is sore, the missions are just boring. The environments...bland...dialogue...boring..objectiv es..repetitive. I never enter exploration clusters anymore, they are just a boring grind/timesink to me.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChom
I can appreciate there are problems with a random mission generator...Maybe adding a mission where there's a random colony and you have to fix a supply chain (water, oxygenation, etc.), maybe a colonial evacuation under fire from the local bad guys, maybe some of the current missions could have variations....the gaseous anomaly survey leading into a first contact, a survey the ruins mission turning into a "don't break the prime directive" mission when you find a settlement...
And all of these involve elements that can be made discrete and stuck into a blender. *sigh* From the way they were hyping Genesis, I'd thought it was going to be more like that, with at least some possible degree of intricacy and missions that were actively generated from the asset library instead of GBs worth of (sloppy) premades.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-08-2011, 09:17 AM
What I was talking about wanting them to add to the mission types were.

Ship rescue- You would destroy raiders attacking a ship. Then you would have to beam over and finish the ones in the ship. After that you would have to run to engineering and use a console to prevent a warp core breach. Where they sabotaged the ship with a five minute timer or you fail. That would start when you beamed over.

Warp core breach- A ship is about to explode and you would have to rescue the crew that can't be beam out because of radiation. You would go and heal them they would run to the area with less radiation to be beamed out. The Klingon version could be the emote kneel over the corpse a scream to let them know a Klingon warrior is coming to the after life. Another timed mission or you fail.

Asteroids- There has been some sort of disaster in a asteroid belt and the explosion and launched asteroids at planet. You would have to destroy them before they hit the planet. They would use the destructible asteroids from the quest. You have to destroy so many before hit the planet or you would fail.

Heal sickness- You would go around an heal the sick in a base or ship. The Klingons would go around and do the emote. Or disintegrate them so the sickness wouldn't spread.

Another ship rescue- A ship would have the gravity well effect on it. The ship is being pulled into the sun and you would have to get it out of the gravitational pull of the sun. Before it gets to far in or you couldn't save it. The ships that sabotaged it would attack you and you would have to defeat them and save the ship before it got to far in. They could give you a tractor effect for this mission where you would press F. Any damage would break the effect. So after it gets to far in you would take damage from the sun and couldn't tractor it.

A ship race- A ship has challenged you to a race trough a coarse in a asteroid field. You would fly through the rings like in the slingshot maneuver in the second featured series. With a few tough turns to make it challenging.

I would like to see these added to the existing explore missions and a few more. Not all combat and a chance you could fail the missions as well. Then you would only get half the skill points and merits.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
What I was talking about wanting them to add to the mission types were.

Ship rescue- You would destroy raiders attacking a ship. Then you would have to beam over and finish the ones in the ship. After that you would have to run to engineering and use a console to prevent a warp core breach. Where they sabotaged the ship with a five minute timer or you fail. That would start when you beamed over.

Warp core breach- A ship is about to explode and you would have to rescue the crew that can't be beam out because of radiation. You would go and heal them they would run to the area with less radiation to be beamed out. The Klingon version could be the emote kneel over the corpse a scream to let them know a Klingon warrior is coming to the after life. Another timed mission or you fail.

Asteroids- There has been some sort of disaster in a asteroid belt and the explosion and launched asteroids at planet. You would have to destroy them before they hit the planet. They would use the destructible asteroids from the quest. You have to destroy so many before hit the planet or you would fail.

Heal sickness- You would go around an heal the sick in a base or ship. The Klingons would go around and do the emote. Or disintegrate them so the sickness wouldn't spread.

Another ship rescue- A ship would have the gravity well effect on it. The ship is being pulled into the sun and you would have to get it out of the gravitational pull of the sun. Before it gets to far in or you couldn't save it. The ships that sabotaged it would attack you and you would have to defeat them and save the ship before it got to far in. They could give you a tractor effect for this mission where you would press F. Any damage would break the effect. So after it get to far in you would take damage from the sun and couldn't tractor it.

A ship race- A ship has challenged you to a race trough a coarse in a asteroid field. You would fly through the rings like in the slingshot maneuver in the second featured series. With a few tough turns to make it challenging.

I would see these added to the existing explore missions and a few more. Not all combat and a chance you could fail the missions as well. Then you would only get half the skill points and merits.
Nice ideas.

I proposed similar concepts a long time ago but alas it still has not happened.

Cryptic please hear us loud and clear. Exploration has been the mainstay of Star Trek since its inception. Allow me to quote:

"To seek out new life and new civilizations. To bodly go where no man has gone before!"

Taken from the most famours opening in Star Trek history. We are missing that last part sorely. When I warp into a zone and have to go save a colony that know's who am I and where I can from I am not exploring. I am not boldly going!

Please... give us some hope for a major overhaul to exploration in this game!
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-08-2011, 11:02 AM
the exploration content probably should be called deep space assignments
which include:

search and rescue content as mentioned above

galaxy exploration, which includes discovering/studying/applying/exploring/collecting & dealing with the consequences of exposing yourself to alien planets, races, species of plants animals, bacteria, anomalies, technology, cultural and archeological studies, and mineral resources.

diplomatic missions that involve its own missions, rescue/transport/assist scientists, ambassadors. host and/or conduct discussions that may include translations, participating in rituals, determining if the civilization is ready or in the right mindset for federation entry (obviously a planet having civil war would not, for example), trade and commerce.

all these elements could give a diverse field of mission types. puzzles, minigame, discovery, chart, negotiate, hide and seek, direct confrontation, capture and detain/protect/neutralize, deal with environment, etc. it could go on and on. these are all elements in trek (space and ground) and should be at the core base of exploration deep space assignments.
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore_Stipe
Nice ideas.

I proposed similar concepts a long time ago but alas it still has not happened.

Cryptic please hear us loud and clear. Exploration has been the mainstay of Star Trek since its inception. Allow me to quote:

"To seek out new life and new civilizations. To bodly go where no man has gone before!"

Taken from the most famours opening in Star Trek history. We are missing that last part sorely. When I warp into a zone and have to go save a colony that know's who am I and where I can from I am not exploring. I am not boldly going!

Please... give us some hope for a major overhaul to exploration in this game!
Yeah, I have asked a few times that they put more missions in the explorer generator. Players spend a lot of time doing these at level cap. This could also help Klingon PVE content.

They could add more non combat missions it could give STO more of a Star Trek feel. I only see it as a win win situation. Content for both factions and it would make explorer missions less repetitious.