Lt. Commander
# 11
03-10-2011, 02:32 PM
There are a few problems with collaboration, #1 being - who has to use a mission slot? As these are limited to 8 per account that will be a significant problem.

Also importing projects is not currently working as far as I know. Who gets credit? If there are some rewards offered for outstanding missions the who gets the award?

You can see where this all goes to... division of Labor, Resources and Rewards... and has been a source of revenue for lawyers for many years.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-10-2011, 10:30 PM
honestly i do not care about taking credit.. i am not self centered in that manner... the credit for me is the satisfaction in knowing i contributed something that makes someone happy.. if that is not enough for me then that is honestly my problem. i mean absolutely no offense in any way.. to anyone, but i just would be happy letting someone else get the rewards and such... getting physical rewards doing something like this does not interest, motivate, or satisfy me at all, whereas my reward would personally be knowing i helped make something unique. in my mind, if I am getting into the foundry for some gain other than benevolently contributing to the community then it isnt for me. it was never meant for anything other than that to begin with.

anyways,..keeping those things in mind, anyone who would want to put some ideas and talents together is welcome to PM me by all means. credit would probably go to the whole group, probably in the notes, like credit titles. i think that is fair and makes sense. i would assume my talents would be best channeled into story, grammar, and flow, just to name a few.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-11-2011, 05:13 AM
I can see this happening allot when foundry go's to holodeck. I don't see any problem with it. I'm yet to find anyone childish or self centred working with foundry. To tell you the truth, foundry needs patience. There is a stage that ever Founder goes through learning how to take criticism, but other than that we are all trekkers after all. Working together is what we do best.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-11-2011, 10:36 AM
As usual you are missing point #1 Who's mission slot gets used? Authors with many good ideas are going to run out of Mission slots. Also... I haven't seen the import function working yet... So other then someone writing a script in a different format, and sending it to someone to actually make it in the editor, collaboration INSIDE of the Foundry editor is a non-starter.

Now, authors and creators can certainly work together to make missions. And that sounds like a good thing, but until we get clarification about #1 I don't think a lot will get done.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
As usual you are missing point #1 Who's mission slot gets used? Authors with many good ideas are going to run out of Mission slots. Also... I haven't seen the import function working yet... So other then someone writing a script in a different format, and sending it to someone to actually make it in the editor, collaboration INSIDE of the Foundry editor is a non-starter.

Now, authors and creators can certainly work together to make missions. And that sounds like a good thing, but until we get clarification about #1 I don't think a lot will get done.
im sorry if i offended.. it was not intended, but in any case, yea i do agree. the tools are limited so far and hope that they expand to get past these inherent limitations. anyone with an open mind and heart who wishes to contribute in spite of these limitations will do so if they really do want to.. hence the term where there's a will there's a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by filbones View Post
I can see this happening allot when foundry go's to holodeck. I don't see any problem with it. I'm yet to find anyone childish or self centred working with foundry. To tell you the truth, foundry needs patience. There is a stage that ever Founder goes through learning how to take criticism, but other than that we are all trekkers after all. Working together is what we do best.
i completely agree with these observations.
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-11-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm not offended, just trying to let you know what the current difficulties are in regard to your ideas about collaboration. When I'm done with my current re-edit of my 6 mission story arc I'll possibly be looking for something to do. The problem is I'm almost out of mission slots.

It would be difficult for me to do many more missions with the current situation until this situation is clarified. To make matters worse, Foundry missions currently on the tribble test server won't be movable to the holodeck server when the Foundry goes live.

So that makes creating more missions essentially double duty, to make them once on the test server and then re-make them on the live server. That is a significant amount of time and effort to do as I have 6 missions of great complexity to copy over already.

So, while your idea of collaboration is great, it will be a while before it is practical to do so.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfs5519 View Post
im sorry if i offended.. it was not intended, but in any case, yea i do agree. the tools are limited so far and hope that they expand to get past these inherent limitations. anyone with an open mind and heart who wishes to contribute in spite of these limitations will do so if they really do want to.. hence the term where there's a will there's a way
Napoleon is very hard to upset. He is a great author and knows how to take criticism. He also has my disease of being very misunderstood on the forums. I think we both have had to learn how to control our sense of humour in the fear of upsetting people and being labelled trolls.

Quote:

I think most people will gladly give up a foundry slot to create someone else's story. Of coarse it would have to be a good story worth designing. The import export function for other peoples missions, I think is not currently working, and am not sure if it will ever work. I can see many users having disputes over this, but I'm not going to worry, because I already have some great writers who have asked me to do there missions once foundry hits tribble. I guess people will have to be very choosy who they work with.

My question to you guys would be this.

Would you pay for extra Foundry slots?
I would.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Would I pay for a Foundry slot? In theory yes. If, after using my "starter set" of 8 missions, I wished to continue making missions I would consider maybe paying 5$ for a mission slot.

Considering the amount of time that goes into making a "completely finished, polished mission with proper story, sub-plots and bells and whistles, 5$ is relatively nothing.

I mean we are talking about a good 20 hours of solid work, not counting play testing, at least, as a minimum for a good mission. I can put out a simple mission in 20 minutes very easily.

The real question is what mechanism can be used to reward authors that provide good quality material to the community. What is "good quality'? Who is the judge? What is the Reward and is it worth anything at all?

As authors in the Foundry we are giving up any real claims or rights to anything we create with Cryptic's tools. What value is that Product to the company? Or to the individual author and to the general game population and to the Stock-holders?

Answer these questions and we can have a metric to weigh the relative values. Myself, I just like to have fun and be Creative AND Destructive at the same time....
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-18-2011, 12:07 AM
Quote:
I'm not offended, just trying to let you know what the current difficulties are in regard to your ideas about collaboration. When I'm done with my current re-edit of my 6 mission story arc I'll possibly be looking for something to do. The problem is I'm almost out of mission slots.

It would be difficult for me to do many more missions with the current situation until this situation is clarified. To make matters worse, Foundry missions currently on the tribble test server won't be movable to the holodeck server when the Foundry goes live.

So that makes creating more missions essentially double duty, to make them once on the test server and then re-make them on the live server. That is a significant amount of time and effort to do as I have 6 missions of great complexity to copy over already.

So, while your idea of collaboration is great, it will be a while before it is practical to do so.
i totally agree. especially about the fact that it is still on tribble.. right now i want to try to get a few people of talent together to get some story ideas flowing.. work out the kinks and create something great.. my real strength is story and creativity along with critiquing, story structure, and also character profiling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by filbones View Post
Napoleon is very hard to upset. He is a great author and knows how to take criticism. He also has my disease of being very misunderstood on the forums. I think we both have had to learn how to control our sense of humour in the fear of upsetting people and being labelled trolls.

I think most people will gladly give up a foundry slot to create someone else's story. Of coarse it would have to be a good story worth designing. The import export function for other peoples missions, I think is not currently working, and am not sure if it will ever work. I can see many users having disputes over this, but I'm not going to worry, because I already have some great writers who have asked me to do there missions once foundry hits tribble. I guess people will have to be very choosy who they work with.

My question to you guys would be this.

Would you pay for extra Foundry slots?
I would.
both of you seem to be really solid thinkers and analysts..very good qualities to have>
from my impressions, it would be really cool,someday, to be able to work as a team and create some good stuff.. especially when the foundry starts to really form into something solid and jump into holodeck. I have a few basic story principles floating in my head and an idea for a central operating base for them.. if either, or both are interested in hearing the ideas, and would like to see if they provide enough inspiration to attempt some kind of collaboration, i would welcome it, as well as welcome the critiquing. PM me if you would like. if nothing else, make a few new freinds
Lt. Commander
# 20
03-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Concerning mission slots:

I assume - or at least I hope - Cryptic will allow additional mission slots via C-Store.